Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.21 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.6

Snow Density: 11.7% H2O

Temperature: 15.1 F

Sky: Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

Nice, that fits with my 1.5" at 5:30am.... given that your observations are from 6am, I'm sure that's out-of-date now being over 2 hours later and likely at least 1"/hr snows.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably close to 5" now. I cleared the driveway at 6:30 and by 7 there was close to another inch. Flake size is a little smaller now than compared to earlier this morning but it is still coming down at a pretty good rate.

Hoping to get up to the mountain around 2 to mess up some powder.

Cool dude, sometime we'll have to meet up for a run.

It is snowing half-dollar sized flakes up here right now. Flakes keep varying between a small dendrite and huge clumps of aggregates. Its snowing in clumps right now, lol.

Time to hit the Gondi.

I thought you were in Penacook. Just drove through Boscawen. The scene I was describing in the last post was my ride through Boscawen, up Water Street and onto Long Street. I was in Concord from noon til 5. Did this light snow continue all afternoon up here?

i am right on the border. it snowed real light most of the afternoon, until around 7 or so. picked up maybe 1/2" between 4 and 7.

snow is varying in intensity this morning. picks up, then lightens up. not sure how much snow has fallen, looks like 3" or so.

There's another burst of QPF that develops when the secondary gets cranking. The 6z runs keep the heaviest over the MA/NH border. Hopefully it ends up a little more north like the 00z runs had...the dry slot and sleet line is already more north than modeled. At this rate we may even ping as there is already sleet mixing in at ALB. Their sounding was progged to be all snow at 12z and starting to get iffy by 15z.

Thanks Brian....you can see the dry slot being cut off sort of....echoes are moving more sw to ne vs. wsw-ene like earlier. Hopefully that trend continues and we see them move due north or even nw for a bit.

Wow we are getting crushed... absolutely crushed. Averaging between 1-2" per hour since 5:30am.

Storm total is now 7" at 1,500ft and 8" at 3,000ft.

I didn't clear the 1,500ft board at 5:30am so I went back to check and clean... found 4" on it (was only 1.5" at 5:30), so that's 2.5" in 2 hours.

So details at 1,500ft so far:

2/1 6pm... 3" NEW

2/2 7:30am... 4" NEW

Total 7" so far. I know there's at least an extra inch at 3,000ft from yesterday but we haven't been up there yet this morning.

+SN 11F

awesome that the far northers are getting in on this. La Epic is shifting north.

Thanks Brian....you can see the dry slot being cut off sort of....echoes are moving more sw to ne vs. wsw-ene like earlier. Hopefully that trend continues and we see them move due north or even nw for a bit.

There is some dry air getting into the snow growth region so we're seeing radar get showery in nature. It snows decent in the heavier echoes and then the flake size decreases drastically in the lulls. I have hope still for the midday burst. Downstream radar looks impressive...hopefully the mixing stays south of us until the heavy stuff moves out. It should, but we need to keep an eye on it. I want to see the bright banding lessening as the heavy precip moves in S VT/SW NH.

There is some dry air getting into the snow growth region so we're seeing radar get showery in nature. It snows decent in the heavier echoes and then the flake size decreases drastically in the lulls. I have hope still for the midday burst. Downstream radar looks impressive...hopefully the mixing stays south of us until the heavy stuff moves out. It should, but we need to keep an eye on it. I want to see the bright banding lessening as the heavy precip moves in S VT/SW NH.

Glad you still have hopes. :)

What are your sleet concerns?

I see your E wind....perhaps we get some forcing from the east and south?

yes sleet is always scary. if we stay snow....wow. I made a stake in my yard with 2 feet and 3 ft markers....reasonable shot at getting to 3 by evening I think. 27 as of 8am.

Glad you still have hopes. :)

What are your sleet concerns?

We're losing the deep layer moisture and temps are getting warm aloft. Nucleation may get iffy. Some of us are going to have to stay in the heavier echoes to keep the snow flying. Otherwise there may be some light sleet or tiny snow grains in the larger lulls. Luckily radar is looking good for the southern 1/3 of NH.

Did you leave room for a 4 foot mark on your stake?

I will have to reach down into the snow to the top of the stake and measure from there. Guess I'll be doing that on Saturday. Like Brian has said, we slow down rates and the flkes really change...just happened with the weaker echoes, but stronger ones about to move in.

Looks like some in S NH are pinging already.

Yup...if you look at the radar the precip is a little showery/broken just south of us, then the more uniform look to the radar just south of that...so we probably get showery for a bit and then the better stuff comes. Just had a 5 minute pause and flakes got small and crappy. And right now nice medium size flakes are coming down again as another band moves over. Radar is a bit off though on its placement it seems.

I will have to reach down into the snow to the top of the stake and measure from there. Guess I'll be doing that on Saturday. Like Brian has said, we slow down rates and the flkes really change...just happened with the weaker echoes, but stronger ones about to move in.

I think that 35-40dBZ about to hit CON may have PL mixed in. That bright echo we had with the huge aggregates has blended back in to normal snow looking echoes to our NE.

You can see the sleet reflectivities on ENX radar transitioning to snow in S VT/SW NH still. We need that to keep up.

Yup...if you look at the radar the precip is a little showery/broken just south of us, then the more uniform look to the radar just south of that...so we probably get showery for a bit and then the better stuff comes. Just had a 5 minute pause and flakes got small and crappy. And right now nice medium size flakes are coming down again as another band moves over. Radar is a bit off though on its placement it seems.

Just like simpsons out in LEB...we're a little further out from the beam (especially him). We have a steady N wind aloft so I'd assume the heaviest snows are when the best echoes appear to be just to our north and then the crappy snows occur when the lulls are just to our north.

Archived