• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Groundhog Day Storm Thread

dryslot

Here are my snow board observations from this storm at the Barnes Camp (1,500ft) snow plot:

2/1 6pm... 3"

2/2 7am... 4"

2/2 4pm... 5"

2/3 6am... 3"

Storm total: 15"

Snow Depth is now near 30" at 1,500ft.

I didn't do the 3,000ft plot for this storm (ski patrol kept up with that one) but I know they were 1-2" ahead as of 4pm yesterday. Will get those numbers and times of measurements this morning.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 13.2” Snow/1.11” L.E.

Thursday 2/3/2011 6:00 A.M. update: We picked up a bit more fluff overnight, and based on the radar it looks like the snow is just about done.

I grabbed the 48/72-hour totals from the Vermont ski areas that have updated this morning, which should represent totals for this event. The list is north to south in the state, but I had to leave out several areas that either hadn’t updated or didn’t provide any text about 48 or 72-hour totals.

Jay Peak: 26”

Stowe: 17”

Bolton Valley: 26”

Sugarbush: 15”

Pico: 16”

Killington: 16”

Stratton: 9”

Mount Snow: 15”

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 10.2 F

Sky: Cloudy, Flurries

Snow at the stake: 26.5 inches

Jay Peak: 26”

Stowe: 17”

Bolton Valley: 26”

Sugarbush: 15”

Pico: 16”

Killington: 16”

Stratton: 9”

Mount Snow: 15”

That 17" may increase once ski patrol gets up to check the 3,000ft snow board. Overall we seem to have some of the lower totals in the area as far as ski resorts are concerned, but I do like knowing that there is no marketing in our snowfall totals... it is measured and recorded as it should be. Smugglers Notch total is also within an inch of ours, so I feel very confident in my measurements for this storm.

Sugarbush is now reporting 9-18" in the past 24 hours.. from the website:

"Up to 18 new inches overnight, putting at almost 2 feet for the storm total."

The one thing I have noticed since we started doing this snow board project is that there really isn't as big of a difference between base and summit in these synoptic events. I have a hard time believing a spread of 9" from bottom to top, but maybe. Also have a hard time believing 18 inches "overnight." They must've gotten into some big band or something.

I always like to check Mad River Glen which is literally right next to Sugarbush and here's what MRG says: "We received another 4-6 inches of snow over night, bringing storm totals to 12-16 inches"

24 hour totals:

7.5" of new snow. 0.75" liquid equivalent for a tidy 10:1. Had better ratios with round one and for the first part of round two but as others noted, a fair bit of the snow was rather fine in nature.

It stayed plenty cold yeterday here--topping out at 22F and getting back down to 4F by early this morning.

Two day total of 14.4" with a LE of 1.24"

29" at the stake. Long way to go to reach our maximum depth in early March of 2008 when I had to add an extension to my 36" snow stake and we reached 49" of snow lying.

Woodford VT 22" for the win!

http://forecast.weat...ALY&product=PNS

We got another 2.5 or so last night, total of just shy of 10 inches from yesterday. (9.75 we'll say) and 12-13 total over the 2+ days.

As I headed out this morning it looked like that 2.5 was probably in a low spot and that we likely got a bit more than that overnight. I think a total or 10 from yesterday and 3 from last evening/night is the best result. 13 overall.

another 2-3 overnight - total 14-16. broke the ski trails this morning - knee deep in the track. deeper now than all of last year - my 2 year old is loving it.

always get a chuckle out of resort reports - Jay was looking for 2 ft before the storm started, really not surprised they found it somewhere, its kind of like research, if you look hard enough you can justify anything. liking the objective measures Scott

That 17" may increase once ski patrol gets up to check the 3,000ft snow board. Overall we seem to have some of the lower totals in the area as far as ski resorts are concerned, but I do like knowing that there is no marketing in our snowfall totals... it is measured and recorded as it should be. Smugglers Notch total is also within an inch of ours, so I feel very confident in my measurements for this storm.

Sugarbush is now reporting 9-18" in the past 24 hours.. from the website:

"Up to 18 new inches overnight, putting at almost 2 feet for the storm total."

The one thing I have noticed since we started doing this snow board project is that there really isn't as big of a difference between base and summit in these synoptic events. I have a hard time believing a spread of 9" from bottom to top, but maybe. Also have a hard time believing 18 inches "overnight." They must've gotten into some big band or something.

I always like to check Mad River Glen which is literally right next to Sugarbush and here's what MRG says: "We received another 4-6 inches of snow over night, bringing storm totals to 12-16 inches"

That 18 overnight is really wonky. Some bit powerful snowbands rolled through central VT yesterday overight and then winds picked up. I'd be pretty surprised if they actually got 18 over night.

Kinda the same with Jay and whatnot...

I'm not sure I believe all thse 20+ reports. HAS to be 72 hour totals (which is kinda lame IMO) Should ALL be 24 hour reports.

That 18 overnight is really wonky. Some bit powerful snowbands rolled through central VT yesterday overight and then winds picked up. I'd be pretty surprised if they actually got 18 over night.

Kinda the same with Jay and whatnot...

I'm not sure I believe all thse 20+ reports. HAS to be 72 hour totals (which is kinda lame IMO) Should ALL be 24 hour reports.

How could Stratton, which is in between Killington and Mount Snow, only get 9 inches? Were they really in a snow hole or is it more a matter of correct measuring?

Here's the BTV snowfall report from this storm. Most of this looks pretty good, except for the 20" in Peru, NY... but with easterly flow they might have upsloped there on the western Champlain Valley/eastern 'Dacks foothills.

The 15" report from Stowe is mine from our 1,500ft snow board data. I feel really confident about our 15-17" measurements from 1,500-3,000ft, though it could be another inch higher or so because we ended up rounding down on several of the measurements. The 15" at 1,500ft matches with totals on the otherside of the mountain with 15.2" in North Underhill (which is probably around 1,000ft elevation).

As far as some of the higher ski area totals... skiing around today I did notice substantial drifting last night so there are areas that have over two feet of fresh snow on them. There are also areas that are swept clean. What's really interesting is that our ski patroller Tracey E. (who has set-up all these snow plots) has snow stakes set up way out into the Notch on various ridges and drainages that come down off Mansfield's summit. Yesterday when he checked the stakes out there, they were all pretty even showing a fairly uniform distribution of snowfall (ie. this storm really wasn't elevation dependent, snowfall was fairly uniform with only a 2" difference over 48 hours from upper mtn and lower mtn). However, this morning when he checked (after last night's wind event), he found the two stakes on the ridges (about 100 yards apart on either side of a drainage) had lost snow, while the stake in the drainage between the two ridges increased by 8"... showing significant wind transport into the terrain depressions around the mountain. Now, had we measured in some of the larger drainages, we would've had a storm total of over 2 feet. This stuff is so cool because he has so many stakes that you can actually track the snow movement on the mountain caused by winds.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
922 AM EST THU FEB 03 2011

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS OF STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL TAKEN
FOR THE STORMS THAT HAVE BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION SINCE TUESDAY MORNING.
APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE AND
COCORAHS OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS.
THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION            STORM TOTAL  TIME/DATE   COMMENTS                   
                    SNOWFALL       OF 
                    /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CLINTON COUNTY...
  PERU                  20.5   800 AM  2/03  HAM RADIO               
  SCHUYLER FALLS        14.8   800 AM  2/03  HAM RADIO               
  PLATTSBURGH           13.0   800 AM  2/03  HAM RADIO               
  1 SSE BEEKMANTOWN     10.2   818 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                

...ESSEX COUNTY...
  3 SSW MORIAH          13.0   915 AM  2/03  TRAINED SPOTTER         

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
  ST. REGIS FALLS       12.0   800 AM  2/03  HAM RADIO               
  1 WSW MALONE          10.5   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  2 E TUPPER LAKE       10.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          

...ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY...
  HANNAWA FALLS         11.0   834 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  1 NW EDWARDS           9.5   834 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  NORFOLK                9.0   800 AM  2/03  HAM RADIO               

VERMONT

...ADDISON COUNTY...
  SOUTH LINCOLN         10.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          

...CALEDONIA COUNTY...
  4 N WALDEN            11.3   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  2 SW SUTTON           10.7   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  2 N SUTTON             9.5   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...
  1 ENE NORTH UNDERHIL  15.2   825 AM  2/03  NWS EMPLOYEE            
  1 SSE HANKSVILLE      15.1   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER
  1 NE SOUTH BURLINGTO  14.3  1052 PM  2/02  NWS OFFICE                        
  2 E COLCHESTER POINT  14.2   630 AM  2/03  NWS EMPLOYEE            
  2 SE SOUTH BURLINGTO  13.9   800 AM  2/03  NWS EMPLOYEE            
  2 NW WESTFORD         13.7   630 AM  2/03  NWS EMPLOYEE            
  3 SE SOUTH BURLINGTO  13.0   820 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  BURLINGTON            13.0   800 AM  2/03  HAM RADIO               
  1 ESE NASHVILLE       12.8   830 AM  2/03  NWS EMPLOYEE            
  1 N ESSEX JUNCTION    12.5   800 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  WINOOSKI              12.0   914 AM  2/03  MEDIA REPORT            
  SOUTH BURLINGTON      11.0   800 AM  2/03  HAM RADIO               
  1 NNE HUNTINGTON      10.0   821 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                

...ESSEX COUNTY...
  GILMAN                 9.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
  GEORGIA CENTER        16.5   916 AM  2/03  MEDIA REPORT            
  HIGHGATE CENTER       14.9   919 AM  2/03  TRAINED SPOTTER         
  SWANTON               14.6   919 AM  2/03  TRAINED SPOTTER         

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...
  STOWE                 15.0   918 AM  2/03  MEDIA REPORT            
  3 SSE JEFFERSONVILLE  12.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  3 NE HYDE PARK        11.6   822 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  2 S EDEN              11.3   916 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          

...ORANGE COUNTY...
  2 E CORINTH CORNERS   14.4   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  2 NNW CHELSEA         12.5   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  2 ENE WEST BROOKFIEL  10.5   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  1 NNW UNION VILLAGE   10.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          

...ORLEANS COUNTY...
  3 SW JAY              16.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  1 SW IRASBURG         14.8   815 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  7 SE MORGAN           14.6   826 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  2 NW DERBY CENTER     14.0   827 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  1 NE NEWPORT          13.5   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  1 WNW WESTFIELD       13.5   823 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  3 ENE BARTON          12.5   824 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...
  WATERBURY CENTER      19.5  1030 PM  2/02  HAM RADIO               
  3 NE WATERBURY        16.2   830 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  2 SE WAITSFIELD       15.5   828 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  1 ESE WAITSFIELD      15.5   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  2 WNW WORCESTER       15.3   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  2 N NORTHFIELD        14.5   828 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  MONTPELIER JUNCTION   14.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OBSERVER             
  3 NW WATERBURY        13.2   831 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  2 SW EAST CALAIS      11.1   829 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  2 NNE WATERBURY CENT  11.0   830 AM  2/03  TRAINED SPOTTER         
  1 SSW NORTHFIELD FAL  11.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  1 ESE PLAINFIELD      10.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          

...WINDSOR COUNTY...
  3 N POMFRET           15.0   831 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  SPRINGFIELD           14.0   918 AM  2/03  MEDIA REPORT            
  3 WNW EAST BETHEL     13.3   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  3 S LUDLOW            12.8   833 AM  2/03  COCORAHS                
  1 NW NORTH HARTLAND   12.2   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  1 ENE NORTH SPRINGFI  11.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  1 S ROCHESTER         11.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  BETHEL                10.5   915 AM  2/03  MEDIA REPORT            
  1 ENE WOODSTOCK       10.0   700 AM  2/03  CO-OP OBSERVER          

How could Stratton, which is in between Killington and Mount Snow, only get 9 inches? Were they really in a snow hole or is it more a matter of correct measuring?

They might just be reporting low... I bet they got more than that.

Looking at a north-south list of ski areas, aside from a few standouts like 26" at Jay and 26" at Bolton Valley, and 9" at Stratton... there's a pretty uniform 14-18" snowfall along the Green Mountain spine ski resorts, which would fit with pre-storm modeled QPF of between 1-1.5" across the state.

They might just be reporting low... I bet they got more than that.

Looking at a north-south list of ski areas, aside from a few standouts like 26" at Jay and 26" at Bolton Valley, and 9" at Stratton... there's a pretty uniform 14-18" snowfall along the Green Mountain spine ski resorts, which would fit with pre-storm modeled QPF of between 1-1.5" across the state.

Agreed. I think we can assume a) Jay's storm total includes snow on monday. B ) Bolton could either be doing the same OR picked up a touch more as that upper level low passed and some NW upslope kicked in. I thought I saw a NW componeent to low level winds early in the AM. c) 14-18 seems about right and comports with the modeled data pretty well after all is said and done.

Interesting next system we have coming up. So far all the coastal storms this year have spread much more snow nw than modeled. While Nor. VT still hasn't gotten that bulls-eye synoptc dump it's done better than modeled for coastal storms...NAM puts a swath of .75-1.25 qpf through VT while the GFS is S/E. I'm going to side with the NAM.

Had an early trip to Old Town today, so late in posting.

The overnight fluff brought my Act II total to 8.9", topping 12/27 for the season's largest, and 23" total depth. Total for both acts, 10.4". The first part of Act II, 5A-5P, was dry (high temp was 11, during the evening encore) but not especially fluffy, 7.0" with 0.64" LE. The 6P to whenever (2-3 AM?) encore was 1.9" with 0.09" LE. Big difference between 9:1 snow and 21:1, though the snowblower was not especially impressed, except in the plowpile at the end of the driveway.

Here are my snow board observations from this storm at the Barnes Camp (1,500ft) snow plot:

2/1 6pm... 3"

2/2 7am... 4"

2/2 4pm... 5"

2/3 6am... 3"

Storm total: 15"

Snow Depth is now near 30" at 1,500ft.

I didn't do the 3,000ft plot for this storm (ski patrol kept up with that one) but I know they were 1-2" ahead as of 4pm yesterday. Will get those numbers and times of measurements this morning.

I have a bigger snow pack then 1,500ft in Northern Vt, in central mass at 475ft. :o :o

Event totals: 13.4” Snow/1.11” L.E.

Thursday 2/3/2011 6:00 P.M. update: We got a couple more tenths of an inch of snow this morning at the house to finish off the midweek system, and eventually the sun came out to provide some amazing views of the new snow. I was up at Bolton this morning for a few runs, and the skiing was excellent as one might expect. I did some depth checks while on the slopes, and found generally 9 to 14 inches of settled powder on piste in the 1,500’ to 3,000’ elevation range, although I’m not sure if some areas had been skied during part of the storm. Off piste I was getting depths of around 26 inches of powder, but since there’s no real base layer underneath areas where people haven’t skied, it sort of depends on how hard one wants to push down to get a snow depth. The 26” accumulation number that I reported from Bolton’s website this morning was their 72-hour total, which should go back to Monday morning, but in their snow report from this morning they are going with a 22” storm total for the 48 hours of this event, so they must have had a little extra before this system:

“Let's keep this simple. Here are our snowfall totals: 2-3" daytime Tuesday, 2-3" Tuesday night, 3-4" early Wednesday morning, 5-7" during the day Wednesday, and at least 4-5" last night. That's a storm total of 16-22" in under 48 hours. Conditions ought to be transcendent. And yesterday's bad news becomes today's good: as a result of Wednesday's wind hold keeping our lifts quiet, almost all of that powder lies waiting to be carved up."

It’s really great when they lay out the numbers like that though, because one can see where it all comes from. I wasn’t out on the hill yesterday during the storm, but I guess wind hold had the lifts down. I was surprised by that because I hadn’t seen much wind at all in the valleys during my travels. I added an image from the day below; I think the wind-scoured steep face of Upper Tattle Tale might have been the last holdout in terms of getting everything on the mountain open, and it skied really nicely today:

03FEB11A.jpg

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 12.0 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 26.0 inches

I did some depth checks while on the slopes, and found generally 9 to 14 inches of settled powder on piste in the 1,500’ to 3,000’ elevation range, although I’m not sure if some areas had been skied during part of the storm. Off piste I was getting depths of around 26 inches of powder, but since there’s no real base layer underneath areas where people haven’t skied, it sort of depends on how hard one wants to push down to get a snow depth. The 26” accumulation number that I reported from Bolton’s website this morning was their 72-hour total, which should go back to Monday morning, but in their snow report from this morning they are going with a 22” storm total for the 48 hours of this event, so they must have had a little extra before this system:

“Let's keep this simple. Here are our snowfall totals: 2-3" daytime Tuesday, 2-3" Tuesday night, 3-4" early Wednesday morning, 5-7" during the day Wednesday, and at least 4-5" last night. That's a storm total of 16-22" in under 48 hours. Conditions ought to be transcendent. And yesterday's bad news becomes today's good: as a result of Wednesday's wind hold keeping our lifts quiet, almost all of that powder lies waiting to be carved up."

J... sounds similar to Mansfield, though I don't doubt Bolton got a bit more from NW enhancement in their upper elevation west-facing location. Also, I do respect Bolton's totals a lot as they are usually spot on with what one would expect. Over the years I've found them to be very reliable.

Of the 15"-17" storm total on Mansfield, yesterday I found roughly 12-14" of settled "storm snow" so if someone had just stuck a ruler in the snow at the end of the 48 hour event, they would've only found a foot at the base, and 14" at the top of the Gondola. I thought that was neat because both the base and summit settled exactly 3" during the storm.

I honestly couldn't get a good handle on other layers in the snow because, well, there's just a lot of fluff under there and with no real density changes its impossible to find the previous snow layer in the woods. This has made the woods-skiing ridiculously deep again if you can find areas that haven't seen tracks in a while.

Archived