joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The returns on the radar look like they are racing northward! That is kind of disturbing for us here in Northern Indiana and Northern Illinois. Hopefully the storm begins to stall, occlude, and create the deformation pivot point to stop the rapid northward surge on the radar. Dry slots are the worst thing to track on the radar during a major storm. Good luck to all with this colossal storm! It is definitely fascinating to track and watch develop.

Some bizarre goings on here in the last half hour. It was absolutely ripping here, and even heavier returns moved over and the snow intensity actually lessened quite a bit. Then just a short while ago the winds kicked up and gusted well over 40mph and the snow intensity picked up again and it's now back to near whiteout.

I decided to sack up and go outside in this thing. I got various measurements of sleet averaging around a 3" depth. Of course the winds are also drifting it everywhere. I felt it was like walking through quicksand somewhat...hard to describe. Also the sleet hurts like hell on your skin.

And the radar presentation for NE/N IL looks awesome right now. Let's get some TSSN going up there. :)

• I take that back. Detroit does look to get screwed. You did say you are pessimistic though.

I hope not. We definitely will not see the snow Chicago does, but on the flip side we started with much more on the ground. If average depth on the level is 15"+ tomorrow (which will take only 8" of new snow) it will be deepest since January 1999 when about 2 feet lay on the ground (we peaked at 14" in Jan 2009, 13" in Dec 2000, 12" in Feb 2010 and 10-11" numerous times since).

An hour into the blizzard, its already apparent that measuring is gonna be a trip lol. Already looks "blizzardy" outside even tho visib isnt below 0.5 mile attm. GORGEOUS winter night! Sleet stay away!

I decided to sack up and go outside in this thing. I got various measurements of sleet averaging around a 3" depth. Of course the winds are also drifting it everywhere. I felt it was like walking through quicksand somewhat...hard to describe. Also the sleet hurts like hell on your skin.

And the radar presentation for NE/N IL looks awesome right now. Let's get some TSSN going up there. :)

Yeah, it's like the footprints were only going halfway down.

Temp up to 25.2*-- up a couple of degrees in the last hour-- suspect additional precip (currently in the "finger dry slot") will be freezing rain vs. the sleet which has piled up all day. Hoping the dry slot continues its progress toward the Indy metro area...that would be outstanding for those wanting to mitigate the potential for power outages as the winds are really starting to howl.

Up to 26.1*... heating up quickly.

One of my friends in LAF described it the same way, feeling like he was in a sand box.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

745 PM EST TUE FEB 01 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0738 PM SNOW WEST LAFAYETTE 40.44N 86.91W

02/01/2011 M4.1 INCH TIPPECANOE IN AMATEUR RADIO

4.1 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET. 11 INCH DRIFTS. VISIBILITY

IS DOWN TO 1 MILE AND WINDS ARE ESTIMATED AT 39 MPH.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

745 PM EST TUE FEB 01 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0738 PM SNOW WEST LAFAYETTE 40.44N 86.91W

02/01/2011 M4.1 INCH TIPPECANOE IN AMATEUR RADIO

4.1 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET. 11 INCH DRIFTS. VISIBILITY

IS DOWN TO 1 MILE AND WINDS ARE ESTIMATED AT 39 MPH.

I'm tempted to go there and see if I can find those amounts. For being so close, we have a fair amount less.

Archived