Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Moderation as we head into winter

ORH_wxman

Hi all,

I just wanted to post this as a prelude to how winter moderation is going to be handled. I've already said that it would be stricter as we go into a more active period that naturally comes with the onset of winter. This is the first winter we will have subforums as back on eastern, they were not implemented until the middle of spring, so it will take a little bit of getting used to with more topics to post about.

The last few winters we've had everything stuffed into one superthread. While it had its benefits, especially for those who were on frequently, it also had its many negatives. Longer, more detailed posts by mets and other posters would often get buried in a minutes. Multiple talking points would often go on at the same time making the flow it bit erratic.

Subforums has its many benefits in relation to this. We can start more specialized threads and keep the topics much better organized. Any person who hasn't logged on for a day or two and come in and know where to find discussion about a storm threat or a pattern change fairly quickly rather than having to dig through 10s of pages on a super thread to find that particular topic of interest. No, subforums aren't perfect as it divides regions up more and may seem to be a little bit isolating. But we are all still part of the same board and we know where to find their weather too.

I make this post because I am still noticing a definite tendency for threads to go off topic and banter go out of control in the non-banter threads...usually after the thread does well for 10 pages or so. Its after that they have seemed to spiral down. This isn't to discourage banter all together, its just asking to keep it focused in one thread. A "SNE obs/banter/all things weather" type thread...of which may need to be restarted from time to time as they get near 2000 replies. As we go deeper into the winter and the forum undoubtedly becomes more active, we will be simply deleting OT posts from specialized threads or one word type answers that add very little substance.

Also, do not be afraid to start more specialized threads. That is why we have our own subforum. The super thread mentality needs to be broken at least partially if this is to work out. Some of you were around before the super threads started....back in 2005 and 2006, it was much less crowded on the boards and we saw a lot of specialized threads started. For example, in the 12/9/05 storm, I think hooralph started a thread that said something like "Monster band getting organized in central MA"...that was the beginning of the insane comma head. So I know it can be done again and successfully. We can see the beginnings of it with the snowstorm memory thread and the pattern change thread.

At any rate, enjoy the winter and try and follow the guidelines as close as possible. It makes everything a lot more readable and certainly makes our job easier. I'd rather spend time posting about snow events than spending that time trying to clean up threads.

For the winter as well we should create one thread designated for snowfall maps and such that people make. I don't mean one thread for the entire winter but one thread for each threat. Basically these threads won't be much for discussion, unless of course it's related to the maps and if anyone has questions and such.

Mid-Atlantic should be empty for the most part.

I only make one request. Be willing to at some point discuss/clarify a violation if so requested...but of course when the activity is less. Never got an infraction at eastern (that i can remember) but other sites I've been given small infractions and didn't have a clue where I made the mistake.

I do look forward to seeing how things work this season. Luckily overall activity should be less (climatic reasoning).

• 2 years later...

Excuse me if I sound STUPID, but when you say "subforums", are you talking another forum level beyond lets say the "New England" Forum, where there will be multiple threads going on.

Meaning the tree would be:

AMERICAN WX (main page)

[forums]

---[regional forums]

----NEW ENGLAND forum (one that currently exists now)

----[New Englad forum threads] (such as this one)

---------Other NEW ENGLAND sub forum(s) (soon to be created by mods)

---------[New England sub forum threads]

Or when you say "sub forums" do you really mean different threads as the example you posted?  I don't see any difference since the Spring as you note except for more pinned threads.

Excuse me if I sound STUPID, but when you say "subforums", are you talking another forum level beyond lets say the "New England" Forum, where there will be multiple threads going on.

Meaning the tree would be:

AMERICAN WX (main page)

[forums]

---[regional forums]

----NEW ENGLAND forum (one that currently exists now)

----[New Englad forum threads] (such as this one)

---------Other NEW ENGLAND sub forum(s) (soon to be created by mods)

---------[New England sub forum threads]

Or when you say "sub forums" do you really mean different threads as the example you posted? I don't see any difference since the Spring as you note except for more pinned threads.

Lol....I bumped a 3 year old thread wrt Kevin's assertion that none of his posts would be dumped.

I think most of us (in other words me) enjoy the banter, but would have no problem with a thread or two that are (is?) weather only. If the mods want to clean house on weather only threads, I'm good with that. Maybe even have two threads for upcoming threats? Something like "12/18/13 noreaster thread for serious discussion only will be heavily moderated", and "12/18/13 noreaster thread, have at it."  

Archived