Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 2010

FoothillsNC

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z Euro has a good solid 1-2" of rain for much of central/north GA up into the Carolinas. Pretty boring I know but in a Nina year it is always good to get rain when you can.

Me clovers need a good soaking as the deer and rabbits have put a hurting on them. About ready to put a hurting on the next Buck that shows up to feed with the 300 and stock the freezer for winter.

Quick question regarding my personal weather station...it seems to be reading too cool during the day. For example it's saying that the max temp so far today was 64, while surrounding stations are at like 67-68 for maxes. It's been doing this basically since I got it, but now it's a bit more pronounced. The thing is, it's pretty spot on for lows when comparing it with surrounding locations. Any suggestions on what could be the issue and how to fix it?

Quick question regarding my personal weather station...it seems to be reading too cool during the day. For example it's saying that the max temp so far today was 64, while surrounding stations are at like 67-68 for maxes. It's been doing this basically since I got it, but now it's a bit more pronounced. The thing is, it's pretty spot on for lows when comparing it with surrounding locations. Any suggestions on what could be the issue and how to fix it?

Where is your sensor located? One thing I noticed on mine is that on these cool days, any heating of the radiation shield will cause a slight rise in the temperature. Mine is most pronounced right before sunset when the sun is directly on the side of the shield. If it's windy you don't notice it, but since it's been calm I have a couple CWOP errors. It's actually more noticable at this time of year than it is in the summer. I need a 24 hr FARS.

But I guess my point is if yours is in the shade and theirs aren't, that might be the difference.

Where is your sensor located? One thing I noticed on mine is that on these cool days, any heating of the radiation shield will cause a slight rise in the temperature. Mine is most pronounced right before sunset when the sun is directly on the side of the shield. If it's windy you don't notice it, but since it's been calm I have a couple CWOP errors. It's actually more noticable at this time of year than it is in the summer. I need a 24 hr FARS.

But I guess my point is if yours is in the shade and theirs aren't, that might be the difference.

It's in a shaded area, so I suppose that could be it. Still though, I thought the official stations weren't susceptible to artificially high temps due to solar heating.

Me clovers need a good soaking as the deer and rabbits have put a hurting on them. About ready to put a hurting on the next Buck that shows up to feed with the 300 and stock the freezer for winter.

I um cough cough can help eliminate that deer problem for you hehe......but on a serious note since you are a clover expert I am gonna pick your brain after this season as I want to do several small food plots on our lease this year for deer and clover is one of the plants I plan on going with.

Glad to see everyone coming over... Speaking of Indian Summer, found an incredible golf course on the North and South Carolina line yesterday called Red Fox Country Club. The colors in that area are peaking this weekend, just north of Spartanburg. It was 30 here in the mountains this morning with my ninth day in a row of ice on the cars. Love it! Still 51 degrees here at 6.

post-1004-0-71037000-1289690288.jpg

post-1004-0-19095300-1289690377.jpg

Glad to see everyone coming over... Speaking of Indian Summer, found an incredible golf course on the North and South Carolina line yesterday called Red Fox Country Club. The colors in that area are peaking this weekend, just north of Spartanburg. It was 30 here in the mountains this morning with my ninth day in a row of ice on the cars. Love it! Still 51 degrees here at 6.

Is that in Southern Rutherford next to Polk Co. line? i've been there, or drove past it a few times I think. Sadly, my color here is nothing like your area this season. Its really the most disappointing season for color I can remember, but there are a few trees actually much brighter than usual, just not many of them. I had a low of 30 this morning as well, nice and frosty on the windshield. I like this weather with 70's afternoon and near 30 at night. Great for about anything.

Enjoy this while we can, because once the Greenland block establishes, we'll be turning cold and stormy, assuming the Euro is right in forming one. The thing I've been thinking abou this strong Nina is the incredible variety we''ll probably experience. It should blow away a nino's variability and the stronger this nina is, the more volatile...which almost assures some spot in the Southeast will have an historic snowstorm at some point this season. Wish I could say it was here, but my money is further south and east.

Enjoy this while we can, because once the Greenland block establishes, we'll be turning cold and stormy, assuming the Euro is right in forming one. The thing I've been thinking abou this strong Nina is the incredible variety we''ll probably experience. It should blow away a nino's variability and the stronger this nina is, the more volatile...which almost assures some spot in the Southeast will have an historic snowstorm at some point this season. Wish I could say it was here, but my money is further south and east.

I love it when you talk like this :wub:

I agree with buckeye! You give me hope Foothills! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see how it unfolds!:snowman:

What stations are you comparing to? It doesn't sound like you're too far from me!

I'm sorta close to you, I'm in Alpharetta. I'm comparing my obs to those of stations in Johns Creek, Dunwoody and Alpharetta. Not official NWS stations, but they're maintained by UGA so I assume they're fairly accurate. Link http://www.griffin.uga.edu/bae/

I love it when you talk like this :wub:

I agree with buckeye! You give me hope Foothills! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see how it unfolds!:snowman:

Well snow forecasting in the South is some luck, all you can do is look at the pattern and usually assume that if you can get more Gulf lows than usual, then your odds are upped a bit, like last season we knew the Apps were golden and the Southeast would have more than normal Gulf lows. This season, I see our Gulf lows arriving only at times when it so happens to be cold, due to the nature of La Ninas. And one or more of them likely to be associated with strong Greenland Blocks. Doesn't mean all will get in on that, but those that do, will remember that particular storm. I'm very confident of a major snowmaker (historic--record breaker) for some area of the Southeast, as opposed to a general overrunning snow that is more normal in our snow years. The stronger the La Nina, the more likely this is in my opinion. I'd rather have a very strong one , than average one. The good news is the NAO is forecast to stay negative a while and keep recurring from I'm reading, which only enhances our chances, but it's still really a big guess. I don't trust models like CFS on it much , but usually extremely hot summers are followed by decent winters. All bets off on the extreme hot summer we just had, but who knows, could be some really extreme times ahead. We'll see.

I have always thought that the cool phase of the PDO we have experienced during the past few years is not something that seasonal forecast models have managed well - maybe because many programs were built or tweaked to fit the opposite phase. Overall, the winters here in East Tennessee have cooled considerably during the past decade compared to the 90's. I wonder if the cooler PDO could be smoothing (or even cancel) some effects of La Nina by changing where the jet stream sets up shop in North America. Would it be possible that the AMO switching soon might be impacting the NAO? I wonder if this crazy solar cycle is influencing the pattern. Overall, I have considered if we might be on "new ground" weather wise...or at least on some "old ground" we haven't seen in a while. The last three Novembers have seen heavy dustings here in the northern valley.

I'm sorta close to you, I'm in Alpharetta. I'm comparing my obs to those of stations in Johns Creek, Dunwoody and Alpharetta. Not official NWS stations, but they're maintained by UGA so I assume they're fairly accurate. Link http://www.griffin.uga.edu/bae/

Do you send your data to CWOP?

Late season chase potential for our downeast friends?

via RAH AFD

A LINE OF SHOWERS AND POSSIBLY

THUNDERSTORMS MAY DEVELOP IN THE WARM SECTOR OVER THE SANDHILLS AND

COASTAL PLAIN LATE TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT. A FEW OF THESE STORMS

COULD BECOME SEVERE...PRIMARILY SOUTH AND EAST OF FAYETTEVILLE TO

ROCKY MOUNT. STAY TUNED FOR MORE ON THIS POTENTIAL IN LATER

FORECASTS.

MAYBE... here in Atlanta...

THUNDERSTORMS SEEMING MORE LIKELY FOR TUESDAY AS GFSSHOWING HELICITY VALUES GREATER THAN 400 TUESDAY MORNING...WITHMUCAPES INCREASING TO NEAR 800 BY 18Z OVER WEST GEORGIA...AND NEAR400 ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA THROUGH 00Z. THIS SITUATION WILL NEED TOBE MONITORED AS FAR AS POSSIBLE ISOLATED SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS.GUIDANCE TEMPERATURES IN LINE AND WILL CONTINUE USING A MAV/MET BLEND.

Is that in Southern Rutherford next to Polk Co. line? i've been there, or drove past it a few times I think. Sadly, my color here is nothing like your area this season. Its really the most disappointing season for color I can remember, but there are a few trees actually much brighter than usual, just not many of them. I had a low of 30 this morning as well, nice and frosty on the windshield. I like this weather with 70's afternoon and near 30 at night. Great for about anything.

um, i think you phrased this incorrectly for the se thread LOL - dont you mean endure this while we can...then thankgoodness we will be turning cold and stormy

glad to see that the se crew is slowly trickling in. i just realized i was in 'mobile' mode and wasnt seeing all the options. figured that out (guess syncing from ipad to laptop did it).

THANK YOU to all the staff members and others who were instrumental in getting this new board up and running so fast!!!

Archived