Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 4

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 7 total between the two, but my last measurement was at 11:45

I just measured about 6 NEW inches since 930PM. Trust me I was surprised when I stuck the ruler into the snow and it measured 5.8" in 3 spots....and I know its fresh because i shoveled my driveway at 1PM so it was a clean slate when it started to precipitate tonight

anyone want to throw out guesses for central park? they had 0.24 in one hr followed by 0.34 and already had 4in. That means they're already closing in on a foot. I'd guess they come in with 14.1 total

9-10 so far sounds reasonable with 12 as a finish total.. JMO. I dont think we are looking at 12-1 ratios and thats the reason I say that. I think 10:1 is more in line.

0.31" liquid equivalent in the past hour at EWR, and 0.35" at Central Park - insane!

METAR KEWR 270451Z 35015G26KT 1/8SM R04R/0800V1400FT +SN FG VV001 00/M01 A2957 RMK AO2 PK WND 35030/0417 TWR VIS 1/2 SLP012 SNINCR 3/15 P0031 T00001006 400111028 $

METAR KNYC 270451Z AUTO VRB04KT 1/4SM +SN FZFG BKN001 OVC007 M01/M02 A2957 RMK AO2 PRESRR SLP008 P0035 T10111017 400171011 TSNO

NYC goes heavy for the next 2, mod for 1, light for one, out of there by 4:30 a.m.

You go heavy for 2.5 hrs (you are getting shellacked right now), ... ", ", out of there by 5.

Got a measurement?

Just measured eight inches total, and I'm about 5 miles from his location.

Somehow, even if I can't imagine it could possibly do so, the snow keeps coming down harder and faster.

I have no idea what your lookin at but there will be 6-10" overall in orange county... Not a bad storm after all up here.

I've been out and about between Newburgh and Carmel tonight. Very difficult to measure but I came up with 3.5-4.5 between eastern Orange and western Putnam. More SE of there. Roads are snowcovered but not bad. That was about an hour ago so when all is said and done I think storm totals around 6" are likely. Current snowfall intensity is running about .5" per hour. Wet aggregation was making up for poor snowgrowth earlier, but the column has cooled below freezing everywhere. The heavier echoes really hit a wall around Croton. Both this morning and this evening.

I gave up measuring... With the 3-4" this AM then slop during the lull, and now this probably 4" since the changeover, i really don't know how much we've gotten.. I'd say about 8"- 9" but snow depth is about 7ish..

I'm thinking we'll receive about 12-14" of TOTAL snow and about 10-11" of snow depth on areas that had no snow prior to this AM.. Thus snow depth should be 22-30" when all set and done... Just insane for this area..

All i know is that RIGHT NOW I have about a 15-23" snow depth around my property... And the stuff on my driveway adds up to about 7" right now and it's pure slop with a nice fresh stack of powder on top.. Shoveling this is going to be the worst ever....

I just made a cross county and cross coast trek from Valley Stream to Huntington. The differences in dendrites, winds and visibility were pretty remarkable. Driving up 135 it got worse and worse the further north I headed. Definitely had some 25-30 MPH gusts tucked in there too.

Northern State was a mess, but I got smacked with very heavy snow and sub 1/8 mile visibilities the minute I got into Huntington. It's a much finer, drier snow on the north shore, but the rates were significantly higher as I got further north. Another crazy experience to tell my kids about someday.

Archived