Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA Winter '10-'11 Obs/Discussion I

PennMan

Jamie,

i'm not sure, but it was big time. See my post above. i also spoke with a couple co-workers who also were traveling home on the GWB, . One said that it blew his F250 from the 1st to the 3rd lane and that the TT in front of him, was blown all over the highway that he though it was going to tip. This is all about the time of the rockville incident.

Three tractor-trailers were blown over around the same time too (one on 81 in Newville and two on 322). I'd guess that gust had to have been at least 60 to lift those cars up and over the bridge.

That's remarkable. Any updates or "official" guestimates on wind speed?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the pattern looks to reload around the Jan 7th time period, hopefully the -NAO and the -AO can persist through out the rest of the winter. I agree with you guys, definetely seeing a progressive pattern for a little while until we can get a decent negative -NAO or at a respectable +PNA which we really haven't had yet this winter. I think its purely amazing that the east coast actually got a MECS when climo was against it in a moderate La Nina, which truly shows how impressive the blocking has been the past 2 years. If anyone has any good info on the MJO please let me know as I really want to learn exactly how it operates. Where could I go to access ENSO conditions for the past years as far back as possible? I love doing research and would love to learn as much as humanly possible. Well guys, hopefully PA can get a few decent snow storms the rest of the winter, enjoy the brief warm up and the rain this weekend. :thumbsdown:

That's remarkable. Any updates or "official" guestimates on wind speed?

Not that i'm aware of. You would think they would have access to that info. If their going to blame the wind, you'd think that the wind speed would be an important part of the report that i'm sure they will have to do. I would think think that the NTSB will be involved as well as the safety people from NS

Got back in from Grand Cayman last night. Had a great time snorkeling, seeing the island, relaxing in the warm sun and drinking with my parents :lmao:.

The trip there was terrible...we drove to Philly early Monday morning as the snow was winding down and the roads were in awful condition. Our shuttle to the airport from the off site parking nearly got stuck a dozen times. The airport was a mess, thousands trying to get new flights and people sleeping all over the place. We would have missed our flight due to long lines and US Airways having almost no staff had it not been delayed. Almost every single flight before ours was canceled, and the tarmac looked like arctic tundra, snow drifting everywhere and being lifted 50-60 feet up into the air during gusts. Our flight managed to get going around 9:30 and we had to go be deiced. At 10AM we finally went for takeoff, and it was by far the worst takeoff I've ever experienced...the crosswinds were nasty and the whole plane jolted and swayed crazily for the first 30 seconds. But, we got off the ground and made it to Tampa....as far as I could tell, we were maybe the 2nd or 3rd flight to take off that morning from PHL. After that, things were pretty much smooth...they were serving rum punch on the Cayman Airways flight from Tampa, and we made it there without trouble. Our baggage was delayed until Wednesday morning, but we had extra stuff in our carry-ons so it was not a big deal. The island was beautiful, I might post some pics in the photography subforum at some point in the next few days. The weather was a bit cool(by their standards) Monday and Tuesday, but the sun broke out and temps climbed to 78-82 the last 3 days with lighter winds, making for great snorkeling weather.

Got back in from Grand Cayman last night. Had a great time snorkeling, seeing the island, relaxing in the warm sun and drinking with my parents :lmao:.

The trip there was terrible...we drove to Philly early Monday morning as the snow was winding down and the roads were in awful condition. Our shuttle to the airport from the off site parking nearly got stuck a dozen times. The airport was a mess, thousands trying to get new flights and people sleeping all over the place. We would have missed our flight due to long lines and US Airways having almost no staff had it not been delayed. Almost every single flight before ours was canceled, and the tarmac looked like arctic tundra, snow drifting everywhere and being lifted 50-60 feet up into the air during gusts. Our flight managed to get going around 9:30 and we had to go be deiced. At 10AM we finally went for takeoff, and it was by far the worst takeoff I've ever experienced...the crosswinds were nasty and the whole plane jolted and swayed crazily for the first 30 seconds. But, we got off the ground and made it to Tampa....as far as I could tell, we were maybe the 2nd or 3rd flight to take off that morning from PHL. After that, things were pretty much smooth...they were serving rum punch on the Cayman Airways flight from Tampa, and we made it there without trouble. Our baggage was delayed until Wednesday morning, but we had extra stuff in our carry-ons so it was not a big deal. The island was beautiful, I might post some pics in the photography subforum at some point in the next few days. The weather was a bit cool(by their standards) Monday and Tuesday, but the sun broke out and temps climbed to 78-82 the last 3 days with lighter winds, making for great snorkeling weather.

I want to go there. Ill have to check and see if they have a sandals resort.

The models are interesting over the next few weeks. We'll see, but there might be some things to track. Any thoughts? Man, looks freaking cold.

Yeah, so much for strong Nina = snowless torch. I think Central PA should be able to cash in on the upcoming pattern assuming it actually occurs. If we can get a few storms crossing the country and heading just south of us that would be great.

just wait till next year...it will get better :P

Just wait til the end of the week! We'll start getting advisory events and perhaps a few warnings from the 7th through the end of the month. Looks fun. The post I put up early last week talking about the pattern of storms cruising from west to east looks to start coming to fruition this weekend, with some getting slowed down at the coast. Mid month looks most intriguing

Just wait til the end of the week! We'll start getting advisory events and perhaps a few warnings from the 7th through the end of the month. Looks fun. The post I put up early last week talking about the pattern of storms cruising from west to east looks to start coming to fruition this weekend, with some getting slowed down at the coast. Mid month looks most intriguing

see what you can do, the 7th being my B-day. I have had some memorable events as gifts!

Happy New Year All!

Hahah...Im glad though, if it we're green I'd be itching to play ball!

Ahh, we've (I help coach my soon to be 12 year old son's team) been practicing since 12/5. Love having large indoor facilities for hitting/pitching/fielding drills...

Basically, my son is now playing 10 months a year. Nothing in August or November, but the rest of the year, it's on. There is a group of about 15 kids in our area that have gelled into quite the little team. Last year they went 39-1. This year, they could be playing upwards of 60 games. My son loves it now, I fear it's too much and he'll burn out eventually. He just is not interested in doing anything else at this point, though I think he'd make a decent football player.

Back to the weather, me thinks it still is gonna snow in the next 10 days. Maybe not more than a few inches, but I think it's coming...(MDT is the last official station in PA to not record an inch this winter yet, for all of you Upper Susquehanna folks.) I can tell you that in Maytown, we haven't hit a half inch yet in any one "storm".

Back to the weather, me thinks it still is gonna snow in the next 10 days. Maybe not more than a few inches, but I think it's coming...(MDT is the last official station in PA to not record an inch this winter yet, for all of you Upper Susquehanna folks.) I can tell you that in Maytown, we haven't hit a half inch yet in any one "storm".

30 miles or so ENE of Harrisburg here in Myerstown, PA, we've had a trace of snow on maybe 3 occasions...pretty amazing considering December was about 5° below normal.

I think this upcoming pattern has some promise for Central PA.

30 miles or so ENE of Harrisburg here in Myerstown, PA, we've had a trace of snow on maybe 3 occasions...pretty amazing considering December was about 5° below normal.

I think this upcoming pattern has some promise for Central PA.

That is exactly what we've had here. And I agree with you...

I was gonna post this last week and stopped. So many people are spoiled. When I was a kid, I was thrilled with 2"-4", 3" -6" type events. We haven't had hardly any of those in recent memory, seemingly it's been all (foot plus) or nothing (less than 1")

I'd be quite happy with an advisory level snowfall, especially in light of how ominous the forecasts were for the upcoming time period just a couple of weeks back.

That is exactly what we've had here. And I agree with you...

I was gonna post this last week and stopped. So many people are spoiled. When I was a kid, I was thrilled with 2"-4", 3" -6" type events. We haven't had hardly any of those in recent memory, seemingly it's been all (foot plus) or nothing (less than 1")

I'd be quite happy with an advisory level snowfall, especially in light of how ominous the forecasts were for the upcoming time period just a couple of weeks back.

LOL..I'll trade ya. That's all we get here....2-6 type deals, before the switch to sleet/rain.

I'm not sure what we have had even classifies as a dusting. Even in the recent lean years 07/08 ( 8.25") and 08/09 ( 7") i had recorded more snow then this year as of this date. ( indicates what i had on those years up to January 3rd)

LOL..I'll trade ya. That's all we get here....2-6 type deals, before the switch to sleet/rain.

Well, when we're getting 1' plus types of storms, you certainly aren't changing over in any of them. If you get 2-6 before a changeover, we're probably getting an inch at most. That's the way it worked for YEARS on end when I was younger. I agree with you, not so much in recent memory. Things run in cycles, it will revert back...climatology suggests so.

see what you can do, the 7th being my B-day. I have had some memorable events as gifts!

Happy New Year All!

You should see at least a little for your day. But I still think mid-month (12th-17th) is the most intriguing. Things seem to be lining up for a decent event or two. Maybe not completely phased, but at least some strong waves coming through and perhaps intensifying at the coast.

You should see at least a little for your day. But I still think mid-month (12th-17th) is the most intriguing. Things seem to be lining up for a decent event or two. Maybe not completely phased, but at least some strong waves coming through and perhaps intensifying at the coast.

I agree, looks like a sizeable slug of Gulf/southern moisture is going to attack the cold air up at our latitude around then via the southern impulse, and should at least generate a larger area of heavy snow than the previous coastal did. As long as some semblance of the block is around then, there's likely no way it cuts west and causes ice or rain. I think eventually the SE ridge will have to reassert itself this year, and when it does Central PA's opportunities become more legit.

Archived