• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter '10-'11 Obs/Discussion I

PennMan

I know we're enjoying our snow tonight, and we'll be enjoying more tomorrow night, but look at what uncle buck is bringing to the table next week:

00_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_120.jpg

I'm liking the odds out your way more and more that you'll at least get some of the overrunning snow from the broad area of low pressure that gets together on the coast. There's also definitely a shot for snow directly from the coastal storm with this kind of a hugger track. If the confluence and ridging over Canada moves east faster, look out.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea i'm leery of next weeks storm actually panning out that way. I think it's going to be miller b or bust for central PA cuz if that southern wave is allowed to stay ahead of the energy in the west dipping south and run along the gulf coast ala the 12z Euro/GFS then I don't see the amplification available to turn it up in time to throw anything meaningful back our way. If the southern short slows down enough to be properly interact with the other than i think it would be more of a miller-B scenario (of the good kind for central PA). I'm not sure if I can buy in between, which would just happen to be a miller A with CPA's name on it. With it being 5 days out and the storm period being a time when the NAO is lurking in the neutral range, theres plenty of time and reason for things to trend nw.

Here's the new GGEM (108 and 120)

post-1507-0-35926100-1294377252.jpg

post-1507-0-54480500-1294377285.jpg

It appears coastal places may potentially have ptype issues in that though i'd need to see the ewall or accuwx version for a better look. Otherwise appears to be a good ole fashioned Central and eastern PA curbstomping on that run, maybe we can get the euro on board for a change. GFS kinda gettin there, it gives us at least a light snow event. Still a bit progressive.. so hopefully GFS continues to back NW. Remember, GFS and GGEM had the kind of solution the GGEM has currently a few days ago.

that ggem map is just fantastic. what do you see as the differences upstream that bring the storm up the coast? I'm interested to see if we can finally get back on the map this year.

I assume you mean the diff between this and the GFS? If so, the GEM is keeping the upper level energy closed off to our west, therefore pumping the ridge in front along the east coast. This, along with a +nao, should force the storm up the coast and possibly inland enough to cause ptype issues all the way to I-95.

you can get the euro! or the gfs ensembles! :scooter:

haha hopefully it will have something like the GGEM had. Nice to finally have a lil excitement. Got some pretty heavy snow falling now and it looks like the there's a really heavy band starting to show up in nw cambria on the CCX radar thats prolly associated with the front. Workin on about .75-1.0" so already have pretty much the heaviest snowfall of the season to date. :arrowhead:

haha hopefully it will have something like the GGEM had. Nice to finally have a lil excitement. Got some pretty heavy snow falling now and it looks like the there's a really heavy band starting to show up in nw cambria on the CCX radar thats prolly associated with the front. Workin on about .75-1.0" so already have pretty much the heaviest snowfall of the season to date. :arrowhead:

Im over in western Jtown., Snowing hard. We've got 2" so far. Tomorrow night and early Saturday look even a bit better here .

Looks like the euro is NW of what it was at 12z, but still a bit too far southeast for us at this juncture. All in all sounds like it's working its way back. Not sure how much precip gets back (if any) yet.

GEFS maps,

Hour 114 , Surface mean:

post-1507-0-66633800-1294382369.gif

Hour 120, Surface mean:

post-1507-0-24335300-1294382407.gif

Hour 120, 24hr precip mean:

post-1507-0-80825900-1294382428.gif

All in all, liking the looks of it.. should garner an extra 10-20% on the snow pops ctp has in place come time for the morning update haha.

Hey, biggest snow of the season in Maytown, a solid 1/2"!

Roads were okay for the most part, though some woman STOPPED halfway up Chickies hill this morning to talk on her cell phone. It didn't appear as if anything was wrong, but perhaps there was a good reason. Nonetheless, everyone downstream from her then started spinning and sliding, including me.

Roads were okay for the most part, though some woman STOPPED halfway up Chickies hill this morning to talk on her cell phone. It didn't appear as if anything was wrong, but perhaps there was a good reason. Nonetheless, everyone downstream from her then started spinning and sliding, including me.

yeppers, easily 2", plowable. Looks nice outside, almost virgin like ;)

Looking at the last two runs of the 06Z GFS is like listening to a buddy's crazy story. You know he's likely fully of ****, but it's still entertaining.

HPC says this storm will be much easier to predict than the Boxing day storm, but model guidance currently suggests just about any outcome is still on the table. My kids were talking last night at dinner about snow next week, and I had no clue what to say other than "it might snow some."

I don't worry about road conditions near as much as I worry about my fellow drivers.

Got 1.8, but it looks like a few snow squalls might add a bit to that.

Tomorrow might get a repeat performance.

HPC says this storm will be much easier to predict than the Boxing day storm, but model guidance currently suggests just about any outcome is still on the table. My kids were talking last night at dinner about snow next week, and I had no clue what to say other than "it might snow some."

showing a lot of confidence i see.....:lmao:

showing a lot of confidence i see.....:lmao:

Ehh...let's just say I've learned a few lessons as a parent. I still have a few younger kids, and they don't take it so well if Dad says it's gonna snow and then it doesn't. I'd much prefer them to be surprised in a good way. They were so spoiled last winter, and I think are waiting for it to happen again. Not every winter sees a 30"+ snow cover here in this neck of the woods.

Archived