12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA Winter '10-'11 Obs/Discussion I

PennMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would take one heck of a storm to produce heavy snow from Altoona/State College all the way to the Jersey Shore. It's a brave call five days out..

Sometimes brave is a polite term for totally insane.

I can't believe they put that out now.

I mean, you are in weather communications, you know how long it can take to get an idea about a storm out of people's heads.

It would take one heck of a storm to produce heavy snow from Altoona/State College all the way to the Jersey Shore. It's a brave call five days out..

Yea i'm leery of next weeks storm actually panning out that way. I think it's going to be miller b or bust for central PA cuz if that southern wave is allowed to stay ahead of the energy in the west dipping south and run along the gulf coast ala the 12z Euro/GFS then I don't see the amplification available to turn it up in time to throw anything meaningful back our way. If the southern short slows down enough to be properly interact with the other than i think it would be more of a miller-B scenario (of the good kind for central PA). I'm not sure if I can buy in between, which would just happen to be a miller A with CPA's name on it. With it being 5 days out and the storm period being a time when the NAO is lurking in the neutral range, theres plenty of time and reason for things to trend nw.

No.....84-85. I was a senior in high school.

I think most remember the 84 or 85 quick squall line in the evening that had lighting and dumped about 3 inches in half an hour then stopped. I was in high school and at a basketball game when it hit in the evening. I remember hearing the thunder and wondering hat was going on. I went to Eastern York High.

I think most remember the 84 or 85 quick squall line in the evening that had lighting and dumped about 3 inches in half an hour then stopped. I was in high school and at a basketball game when it hit in the evening. I remember hearing the thunder and wondering hat was going on. I went to Eastern York High.

Whoa...that's it.

I went to York High.

Looks like a pretty nice press of solid snow getting ready to take a crack at the AOO-UNV corridor and maybe further into the central counties. Also, looks like the stretch of US322 from UNV down to Lewistown is getting some pretty decent snows currently.

post-1507-0-73799000-1294360183.gif

axis of heavy snow from the accuweather map.

i overlayed the accuweather map on to the state of pa with counties.

i know it doesnt mean anything this far out and the end result will be different but i did it just for fun.

If I head to our mall I'll be in the axis!!!!!!!!!!!! :devilsmiley:

Quick question for the Pittsburgh area, it looks like the back end of the snow is approaching western PA. Is this going to be the end for tonight, or is it possible it will pick back up?

Looks like the steady snow should end there around midnight, but snow showers will continue for much of the time through Sunday morning. Another enhancement is likely tomorrow night into Saturday as far as steady snow.

Looks like the steady snow should end there around midnight, but snow showers will continue for much of the time through Sunday morning. Another enhancement is likely tomorrow night into Saturday as far as steady snow.

Thanks for the quick reply... hoping for another inch or too, just enough for a two-hour school delay. :)

Got back just under an hour ago from a day of skiing at Elk Mountain in Susquehanna County. It was chilly at almost 2700ft. Only a few sad drifts still scattered about up there...very different from the last two years when I've gone at the same time. At least it has been plenty cold for snowmaking, 26/27 trails open.

Currently 29.3° with a few flakes in the air. I think we'll see at least an inch overnight and into the morning hours tomorrow to put us on the board for winter '10-'11. :snowman:

Archived