12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA Winter '10-'11 Obs/Discussion I

PennMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, looks like a sizeable slug of Gulf/southern moisture is going to attack the cold air up at our latitude around then via the southern impulse, and should at least generate a larger area of heavy snow than the previous coastal did. As long as some semblance of the block is around then, there's likely no way it cuts west and causes ice or rain. I think eventually the SE ridge will have to reassert itself this year, and when it does Central PA's opportunities become more legit.

Absolutely. And if it does ride west, it looks like a classic transfer scenario with a weakening low to Cincy and the primary taking over in NC.

gfs_ten_174s.gif

gfs_500_174s.gif

This would be nice for us snow lovers. And this scenario is very plausible. I would expect the GFS and Euro to keep a similar solution through the weekend.

Absolutely. And if it does ride west, it looks like a classic transfer scenario with a weakening low to Cincy and the primary taking over in NC.

gfs_ten_174s.gif

gfs_500_174s.gif

This would be nice for us snow lovers. And this scenario is very plausible. I would expect the GFS and Euro to keep a similar solution through the weekend.

Wow, that does look interesting doesn't it. The best to date for us anyhow.

Looks like it's possible that next week's storm (at least the primary) heads up the Ohio Valley before redevelopment somewhere on the east coast. In that scenario, places such as Williamsport would undoubtedly do better than those of near the Mason-Dixon line. It's been some time (2/2007?) since we've seen such a storm pan out. Obviously, lots of details to work out, such as where the primary goes, how soon and where the secondary develops, etc. All speculation at this point.

Should be fun to watch unfold regardless of the outcome. Stay vigilant...you snow starved folks in NCPA may very well be in the cross hairs about this time next week...

Looks like it's possible that next week's storm (at least the primary) heads up the Ohio Valley before redevelopment somewhere on the east coast. In that scenario, places such as Williamsport would undoubtedly do better than those of near the Mason-Dixon line. It's been some time (2/2007?) since we've seen such a storm pan out. Obviously, lots of details to work out, such as where the primary goes, how soon and where the secondary develops, etc. All speculation at this point.

Should be fun to watch unfold regardless of the outcome. Stay vigilant...you snow starved folks in NCPA may very well be in the cross hairs about this time next week...

Nah, they will still b**ch. I work with someone I recently learned was from Williamsport and he drives people up the wall with bitching...maybe something in the water up there laugh.gif

These scenarios can actually screw people during the redevelopment, so that could be an issue. We'll see, but I think as JST said, this looks like an interesting next few weeks.

Anyone who mentions 2/2007 should be banned. That storm was hell on earth and a 7" ice block. Couldn't get the car out of the garage for 4 days!

:( Sorry...it was the last big storm I can recall that tracked in a similar fashion to what might happen next week.

One thing I like about storms like those - get a nice front end dump and then sleet/freezing rain on top, and you got yourself a snowpack that won't go anywhere anytime soon. Especially in light of how cold it looks to get after whatever happens next week.

:( Sorry...it was the last big storm I can recall that tracked in a similar fashion to what might happen next week.

One thing I like about storms like those - get a nice front end dump and then sleet/freezing rain on top, and you got yourself a snowpack that won't go anywhere anytime soon. Especially in light of how cold it looks to get after whatever happens next week.

Should i notify Penndot and the Gov. now so they can prepare?

I'm sorry again. that was not a forecast, merely what I've enjoyed in the past.

i'll stop posting and just read.

Post as much as you want! Your thoughts are just as important as anyone else. That's what this forum is for! Have fun!

Did you guys see the 18z DGEX? LOL!:snowman:

Doesn't look all that different from the GFS and the Euro. They're surprisingly in the same camp with 7 days to go. Not too shabby....

The GEM looks waaayy too wound up as usual with the primary running into the block.

Yeah. That below zero stuff is for the birds.

I'm really liking how next Tues-Thurs is shaping up so far. We should all get some decent snow. :guitar:

i do too...but its soooo far away.

we need it to look like this 24hrs out.

also a few nice little bands heading through right now.

I'm sorry again. that was not a forecast, merely what I've enjoyed in the past.

i'll stop posting and just read.

No! I was joking about my banning wish! I just had a terrible experience with that storm, and it stranded so many people, I wish nothing Luke it again.

Didn't mean to upset you, man. Promise!!!

Watch where the 850mb low tracks. If it tracks west or north of you, almost 100% chance that it goes to sleet, if not freezing rain. State College gets burned by that many times. 2/14/07 was supposed to dump 18" if not more snow the day before on several models while they still had the 850 low west of us. During the next day the models gave in further and further, until we eventually went over to all sleet early that evening when we weren't forecasted to until maybe late that night. We still had a very significant snow/sleet event that turned into a mess reminiscent of liquid cement which froze up into a brick, ~11" worth at the end, but that 850mb low track screwed us out of at least 8" more. We sleeted heavily for many hours.

I guess i'll soon need to turn the rest of my heat on then!

am i missing something, i went to the main forum and i don't see any model threads?

They are all in subforym threads, which pretty much leaves us high and dry. We have great mets in the thread, unfortunately they have real, busy jobs and can't spend 10 hours on here! Haha

This winter has been evil so far. Looks like a storm.. nope.. wait maybe.. nah. Hopefully we can get 1-2" Friday. That be nice.

CTP mentions the possibility of a squall line with the arctic frontal passage Thursday night...we'll see how far SE that can make it.

Currently 36° and mostly cloudy here.

Hm, my bad then. Must have looked at the wrong elements. Thank you. :)

Not for us though right? I thought we were gonna be cold and dry down here.

edit, never mind i just saw the nam.

CTP mentions the possibility of a squall line with the arctic frontal passage Thursday night...we'll see how far SE that can make it.

Currently 36° and mostly cloudy here.

These sorts of setups sometimes bring a nice squall line all the way through the Susquehanna Valley.

Archived