joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pattern Change thread

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ECMWF ensembles really have the best cold in the Lakes to New England from Thanksgiving and beyond. There continues to be about as strong a signal for an east based -NAO as you will see on an ensemble mean post-10 days. The PNA recovers from greatly negative back to near neutral or even slightly positive.

However, by the end of the run the cross-polar flow is beginning to get cut off and the coldest anomalies have shifted back toward Siberia. The cold though is pretty good in SE Canada so there would be plenty to live on before the next reinforcing shot.

At any rate, it looks like a favorable pattern for a time setting up after Thanksgiving.

Maybe in the meantime we can pull off a miracle next Friday, but not keeping my hopes too high on that one.

The ECMWF ensembles really have the best cold in the Lakes to New England from Thanksgiving and beyond. There continues to be about as strong a signal for an east based -NAO as you will see on an ensemble mean post-10 days. The PNA recovers from greatly negative back to near neutral or even slightly positive.

However, by the end of the run the cross-polar flow is beginning to get cut off and the coldest anomalies have shifted back toward Siberia. The cold though is pretty good in SE Canada so there would be plenty to live on before the next reinforcing shot.

At any rate, it looks like a favorable pattern for a time setting up after Thanksgiving.

Maybe in the meantime we can pull off a miracle next Friday, but not keeping my hopes too high on that one.

Is the GoA low coming back at the end of the run? Does that explain why cross-polar flow is fading, and could it have anything to do with the fact that AAM is dropping and the La Niña appears ready to intensify again?

Good post. Euro Ensembles have been emphatic about that east based -NAO and the model really does have a solid sold punch here around just after turkey day.

Is the GoA low coming back at the end of the run? Does that explain why cross-polar flow is fading, and could it have anything to do with the fact that AAM is dropping and the La Niña appears ready to intensify again?

Well not sure about questions 2 and 3 but the GOA low does reappear and flips the EPO. You definitely get a warmer pattern by 360 hours for most of the conus but that -NAO is a beast and sticks around to keep it cold in the northeast.

Good post. Euro Ensembles have been emphatic about that east based -NAO and the model really does have a solid sold punch here around just after turkey day.

There's actually some ridging out in the west during the end of the ensemble run. That, combined with the -nao perhaps gives the chance of a shortwave embedded in the flow, to amplify towards the east coast.

<br />Well not sure about questions 2 and 3 but the GOA low does reappear and flips the EPO. You definitely get a warmer pattern by 360 hours for most of the conus but that -NAO is a beast and sticks around to keep it cold in the northeast.<br />
You should change your name again, death valley rain, West Hartford Disastah, or something more appropriate to your area.

Well I don't think there is any doubt that a big east based -NAO is going to get established...you rarely see a signal that strong all the way out to 360 hours. The wildcard will be the exact orientation of the Pacific. The worse the Pacific looks, the further north the cold stays, especially since the -NAO is east based. Since it looks like the PAC will be okay but not terrible in the D11-16 range, this should focus the cold over the Great Lakes and NE (as well as SE Canada) for Thanksgiving and beyond.

<br />Well I don't think there is any doubt that a big east based -NAO is going to get established...you rarely see a signal that strong all the way out to 360 hours. The wildcard will be the exact orientation of the Pacific. The worse the Pacific looks, the further north the cold stays, especially since the -NAO is east based. Since it looks like the PAC will be okay but not terrible in the D11-16 range, this should focus the cold over the Great Lakes and NE (as well as SE Canada) for Thanksgiving and beyond.<br />

PSD forecasts show negative EPO Negative WPO for the foreseeable future.

PSD forecasts show negative EPO Negative WPO for the foreseeable future.

EPO stays negative for a good while, however, the PNA goes severely negative which promotes higher heights over the SE and M.A....offsetting some of the other factors that favor cold. In that setup, the best cold is in the N Rockies/Plains/PAC NW....but can extend over the northern Lakes and into New England too with the NAO trying to help out. PNA shows signs of relaxing later on and the cold comes a little further SE.

i wouldn't put much stock in anything past the mid-week rain storm coming tue/wed of this week.

I think we'll definitely see that warmup before Thanksgiving....but its possible it could get muted a bit. Confident on pretty cold pattern though Thanksgiving weekend.

I think we'll definitely see that warmup before Thanksgiving....but its possible it could get muted a bit. Confident on pretty cold pattern though Thanksgiving weekend.

yeah that could be the best bet of the next 10 to 14 days.

i have very little confidence with what happens later this coming week and into the first half of next week, however.

yeah that could be the best bet of the next 10 to 14 days.

i have very little confidence with what happens later this coming week and into the first half of next week, however.

Yeah, I have no confidence in that potential Friday event...I do have some confidence in a transient cold shot next weekend...then it moderates some before Turkey Day...however, I have no idea how much it moderates. There will definitely be a gradient initially, and if it holds tough, there could be a lot more low level cold holding tough than is currently progged. The strong western trough though makes me lean toward at least one torch day though before the FROPA brings in the cold stuff around Thanksgiving and definitely the weekend that follows.

Archived