Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Jan 25/26 Storm Part IV

burgertime

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant believe Lookout isnt here to talk about Glenn Mother F'n Burns.

Sounded like earlier he was officially "checking out" on this storm. We really would need a major surprise to get anything out of this in our neck of the woods. That being said, Glenn MF Burns really rubs him the wrong way. To me, he's just plain silly and pretty good for comic relief. During severe weather, watching him you'd think Atlanta was going through the Moore, OK 1999 tornado.

Interestingly Lubbock, TX currently reporting light snow @ 36F and models don't seem to be doing a great job out west....rogue mesoscale snow. :snowman:

From Lubbock NWS:

CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY REMAINS ABOUT CHANCES FOR SNOW AT BOTH

TAF SITES THIS EVENING INTO TOMORROW MORNING. SO FAR...MODELS DO

NOT HAVE A GOOD HANDLE ON HOW THINGS ARE EVOLVING AND HAVE KEPT

THE MAJORITY OF THE SNOW FORECAST SOUTH AND EAST OF THE TAF SITES.

OPTED TO CONTINUE THE TIMING IN THE PREVIOUS TAFS BUT DID START TO

BRING CEILINGS DOWN A BIT FASTER CLOSE TO THE MVFR RANGE.

HOWEVER...THERE STILL IS A POSSIBILITY THAT CEILINGS WILL DIP DOWN

INTO HIGH IFR RANGE. ALL THAT BEING SAID...DO NOT BE SURPRISED TO

SEE A FEW AMENDMENTS THROUGH THE NIGHT AS THINGS UNFOLD.

http://images.intell...s/Radar/law.gif

The euro is further north, very similar to NAM. the 5H closes off between HSV and BNA and goes east across NC, then really tightens up and has a strong sfc low that wallops DC PHL NYC and the New England Coast. I didn't study qpf so much but in general its lighter in TN than I thought it would be, and western VA as well, as most of the precip in western VA is rain before the switch but thereafter its a big snow hit in VA up to the northeast. NC basically misses it, maybe an inch or 2 in the mnts and nw NC but the gist is this is trending further and further north, with both the def. band and the 5H. Matches the SREF really well, check out its comma head and follow it to get an idea of what the Euro is doing. The dryslot shows up nicely in SC and GA, but not quite as much in NC, although thats probably an error in general as the system stretches out to the west and east, there will be a fast dry slot in GA and SC and southern NC. About .25" to .50" total.

The euro is further north, very similar to NAM. the 5H closes off between HSV and BNA and goes east across NC, then really tightens up and has a strong sfc low that wallops DC PHL NYC and the New England Coast. I didn't study qpf so much but in general its lighter in TN than I thought it would be, and western VA as well, as most of the precip in western VA is rain before the switch but thereafter its a big snow hit in VA up to the northeast. NC basically misses it, maybe an inch or 2 in the mnts and nw NC but the gist is this is trending further and further north, with both the def. band and the 5H. Matches the SREF really well, check out its comma head and follow it to get an idea of what the Euro is doing. The dryslot shows up nicely in SC and GA, but not quite as much in NC, although thats probably an error in general as the system stretches out to the west and east, there will be a fast dry slot in GA and SC and southern NC. About .25" to .50" total.

Thanks for that...still had a tiny bit of hope that something would happen in the NE part of GA here, but looks like rain is gonna be the only solution...although we have one of our mets out of ATL talking about how we need to watch out, or N GA needs to watch out, something like that. Temps were progged to be a limit of 30 with clouds, and we've dropped to 26 and clear as a bell outside here. Have a great evening Robert!

NWS forecast........... Maybe a inch ?

.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY THIS MORNING...THEN CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF

RAIN THIS AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE

WINDS. CHANCE OF RAIN 30 PERCENT.

.TONIGHT...RAIN. NOT AS COOL WITH LOWS IN THE MID 30S. LIGHT AND

VARIABLE WINDS...BECOMING NORTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT.

CHANCE OF RAIN 80 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY...RAIN. SNOW IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO

1 INCH. COOLER. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURE IN THE MID 30S. NORTHEAST

WINDS AROUND 10 MPH...BECOMING NORTH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...SNOW AND RAIN IN THE EVENING...THEN PARTLY

CLOUDY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. LOWS IN

THE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

25 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT

OHX punts the Mid Tenn advisory call to the morning shift:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN

341 AM CST TUE JAN 25 2011

.DISCUSSION...MOISTURE FROM THE APPROACHING SYSTEM...CENTERED

OVER THE LOUISANA COAST...IS MOVING INTO THE AREA. TEMPS ARE IN

THE MID TO UPPER 30S NORTH HALF AND 40S SOUTH HALF...SO PRECIP

SHOULD BE NEARLY ALL RAIN. THERE IS A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN/SNOW

MIX IN THE FAR NW COUNTIES AND IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE

PLATEAU. RAIN WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY AND BEGIN TO

TRANSITION TO A RAIN/SNOW MIX IN THE EVENING. THIS TRANSITION

PERIOD WILL LAST LONGER IN THE EASTERN SECTIONS SINCE THE COLDER

AIR WILL ARRIVE THERE LATER. ALL SNOW EXPECTED BY LATE TONIGHT.

THE 700MB LOW IS EXPECTED TO TRAVEL RIGHT ACROSS THE MIDSTATE...MOSTLY

OVER THE SERN HALF. I MENTION THIS SINCE IT WILL HAVE SIGNIFICANT

EFFECT ON SNOW ACCUMULATION TONIGHT AND WED AM. IF IT TRACKS

FURTHER SOUTH...THEN ACCUMULATIONS MAY BE LESS. THE DANGER HERE IS

THAT THE UVV CENTERS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS LOW WILL CONCENTRATE

SNOW ACCUMULATION IN AREAS THAT THEY PASS OVER. THE "EXACT" TRACK OF

THESE UVV CENTERS IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO PREDICT. THEREFORE...WE

WILL ISSUE A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

DAYSHIFT WILL DECIDE...AFTER LOOKING AT 12Z MODEL RUNS...WHERE TO

ISSUE ADVISORYS/WARNINGS.

SNOW TAPERS OFF ON WED PM WITH FLURRIES POSSIBLE WED NGT AND THU

AM. AFTERNOON TEMPS SHOULD GET INTO THE MID 30S WED PM...THUS

THERE WILL BE SOME MELTING OF SNOW ON MOST ROADWAYS.

Well, good morning guys!

Looks too warm for snow here. Seeing a BIG dry slot in the radar loops, looks like someone carved out a box http://www.daculawea...iana_master.php over Louisiana. Just not feeling the love here! Looks like the upper level low is playing catch up to the surface low (which is barely moving). Not that I'll get anything but rain but I guess it's better than nothing!

Well everyone, almost a week wasted watching this potential and now here we are at D Day. What an up and down ride for many of us but it's been fun to watch for sure. Thank's to all the METs and the very smart hobbiest who continue to make this forum the best!

Good luck to everyone and here's hoping there are some surprises with the ULL as it develops and moves through. Enjoy your snow TN people! :drunk:

Well everyone, almost a week wasted watching this potential and now here we are at D Day. What an up and down ride for many of us but it's been fun to watch for sure. Thank's to all the METs and the very smart hobbiest who continue to make this forum the best!

Good luck to everyone and here's hoping there are some surprises with the ULL as it develops and moves through. Enjoy your snow TN people! :drunk:

Yep feels like we took the prettiest girl in school on 50 dates only to get rejected for the prom, just one of those storms. But hey the 6z has something 200+ hours out so on to that one!

It's amazing how often this happens.... via RAH

WIDESPREAD RAIN WILL BEGIN TO SPREAD NORTH TOWARDS THE CAROLINAS

THIS EVENING AND OVERNIGHT AS SECONDARY CYCLOGENESIS OFF THE

SOUTHEAST COAST SPINS UP IN RESPONSE TO STRONG UPSTREAM HEIGHT FALLS.

HOWEVER THERE IS GROWING CONCERN THAT CENTRAL NC MAY ONCE AGAIN MISS

OUT ON THE SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL AMOUNTS AS MODERATE DROUGHT

CONDITIONS CONTINUE TO EXPAND ACROSS THE AREA. THE LATEST NAM AND EC

HAVE SHIFTED THE HIGHER RAINFALL AMOUNTS(> 0.50")TO THE IMMEDIATE

COAST...WHILE THE GFS STILL PRODUCE AS MUCH AS MUCH AS IN INCH ALONG

THE I-95 CORRIDOR TO HALF AN INCH NEAR THE TRIANGLE. WILL KEEP

CATEGORICAL/NEAR 100 PERCENT POPS...BUT WILL LOWER QPF AMOUNTS

ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA.

Yep feels like we took the prettiest girl in school on 50 dates only to get rejected for the prom, just one of those storms. But hey the 6z has something 200+ hours out so on to that one!

LOL, so true... oh well that is life here in the SE. Vast majority of threats never turn out but they are fun to watch. If anything I have learned a lot following this storm. This year I have decided to post a lot less and just sit back and learn so that next year I'll be jumping in with some PBP myself that is worth while. Thankfully we still have February to look forward to which looks cold cold cold... maybe we will get some blocking to set back up and end the winter with a bang which I think at some point will happen. Maybe 2 week in February

So true Amos, so true...

Looking forward to seeing who gets rocked today into tomorrow...

What could have been .. Radar looks great....If we only have a big ole H pushing down that cold air..

But hey the 6z has something 200+ hours out so on to that one!

Enough time for it to pull N and W ...lol

So let me get this straight. Glen Burns thinks his model can pinpoint pop up storms 12 hours ahead of time but disagrees with it on this storm. That might be enough to wake Lookout up.

Yeah, I watched that last night as well. You have to give him credit for stepping outside the boundaries of his storm tracker 2 radar.

At least he was not looking for rotation... at least not yet. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I watched that last night as well. You have to give him credit for stepping outside the boundaries of his storm tracker 2 radar.

At least he was not looking for rotation... at least not yet. :thumbsup:

We all should have a "North Georgia" over/under bet on here as to the date than Glenn Burns does scan his radar for rotation or explains the Barrons Tornado Index. God he loves that thing.

Yea, I have been watching that. Mos has us in the upper 40s' and low 50s...I dont see that happening...

Hmm not sure yet how much effect this will have but you can clearly see as the rain moves in the wedge building back down all the way into NE Bama along with the temps cooling in the NW part of the SE.

http://asp1.sbs.ohio-state.edu/loopsh.php?based=archive/sfc/ustemp&loopid=Current+Temps"]Temps Loop[/url]

[

PREFERRED BLENDED SOLUTION BRINGS THE WARM FRONT QUITE CLOSE TO THE COASTLINE BETWEEN 18Z AND 00Z TODAY. LIFTED INDICES AND CAPE VALUES BECOME MARGINALLY UNSTABLE ACROSS THE COASTAL WATERS ACCORDINGLY...SUGGESTING ENOUGH LOW LEVEL INSTABILITY TO SUPPORT A CHANCE FOR THUNDERSTORMS TO DEVELOP. THE MAIN QUESTION REMAINS THE PROXIMITY OF THE FRONT TO COASTAL COUNTIES. DYNAMICS ARE IMPRESSIVE WITH THIS SYSTEM...HOWEVER EVEN THE MORE AGGRESSIVE GFS SOLUTION LIMITS INSTABILITY

OVER LAND AREAS. ELEVATED CONVECTION COULD BE A POSSIBILITY...BUT CONFIDENCE IS TOO LOW TO MENTION ANYTHING MORE THAN A SLIGHT CHANCE FOR THUNDER OUTSIDE OF THE MARINE ZONES. LATEST STORM PREDICTION CENTER OUTLOOK KEEPS MAIN THREAT AREA TO THE SOUTH...WITH JUST A 5 PERCENT RISK OF DAMAGING WINDS OVER THE FAR SOUTHEAST GEORGIA COUNTIES. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT IF THE COASTAL WARM FRONT DOES PUSH ONSHORE MORE THAN ANTICIPATED...THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE WEATHER COULD INCREASE DRAMATICALLY. WILL DEFINITELY NEED TO MONITOR DEVELOPMENT OF THIS POTENT SYSTEM THROUGH THE DAY...AS ANY DEVIATION IN TRACK AND STRENGTH COULD GREATLY AFFECT IMPACTS.

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHEAST GEORGIA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS...ISOLATED TO SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE TONIGHT AS LOW PRESSURE MOVES ALONG THE BEACHES OF SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA AND SOUTHEAST GEORGIA. AT THIS TIME...THE RISK FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE GREATEST OVER THE ADJACENT ATLANTIC WATERS...HOWEVER THE RISK FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS COULD INCREASE ACROSS THE COASTAL COUNTIES IF THE LOW TRACKS EVEN SLIGHTLY FARTHER INLAND. THE MAIN HAZARDS WOULD BE DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH AND ISOLATED TORNADOES. THE MOST LIKELY TIME WOULD BE BETWEEN 6 PM TUESDAY AND 3 AM WEDNESDAY.

Archived