joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. it's the 18z NAM, but the sounding drops 2/3" of freezing rain from this thing.  Better than than the 0.7" of QPF of sleet it was showing yesterday....perhaps, but, once again, gonna be riding the temps.

Concerned about ice potential with this especially as it looks like winds will pick up after the storm if not during. 

Slightly more digging of the northern stream wave and this thing ends up over DTW. Notwithstanding the ire I'll draw from the OH folks, I think giving up on a NAMesque like solution at this point is premature.

i absolutely haven't given up on them but i'd like to see at least some better trends from the globals out west

Slightly more digging of the northern stream wave and this thing ends up over DTW. Notwithstanding the ire I'll draw from the OH folks, I think giving up on a NAMesque like solution at this point is premature.

Well, this is better than your southeast bias of recent vintage. Wagons northwest. ;)

i absolutely haven't given up on them but i'd like to see at least some better trends from the globals out west

My biggest concern is the way the GEM and EURO retrograde that piece of the PV that's initially over the Canadian Prairies back towards the BC/WA. Seems low probability, especially to that extent. If they're overdone even a bit, that's all it takes for the southern stream storm to come NW.

trust me, none of the ohio guys are discounting a nw solution....why the hell would we?  We've been battered by it so many times.

I think some here forget that we actually experience the sh*t side of the nw trend the most here...duh...   And since we get hit with it the most, we watch for it the most.   Would I rather be in LAF's position with this over CMH's, even as modeled right now?....umm  yea, duh.  That doesn't mean we aren't going to stop rooting on the southeast trend, no more than the Chi guys should stop rooting on the nam solution.  It's all good.

So yes, we are fully aware of that 800 lb gorilla that lives in the corner of the room with every storm coming up from the south.  We just do our best not to stir him out his sleep.  It's just hard to do with you noisy b*stards out west and up north.   :angry:  :guitar:  :rambo:

LOT doesn't lean one way or the other in their AFD but certainly sounds impressed with the potential.

QUIET WEATHER WILL CONTINUE MONDAY INTO MONDAY NIGHT BUT THEN SHIFT
ATTENTION TO THE NEXT SYSTEM TO AFFECT THE REGION TUESDAY INTO
WEDNESDAY. GUIDANCE STILL ADVERTISING A VORT MAX TO SWING ACROSS THE
SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL PLAINS LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY THEN
LIFTING ACROSS THE MID MISSISSIPPI VALLEY TUESDAY NIGHT...WHILE
SURFACE LOW LIFTS NORTHEAST THOUGH THE TENNESSEE AND OHIO VALLEYS.
THIS SYSTEM HAS SEVERAL ASPECTS WORKING FOR IT...BRINGING POSSIBLE
SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS TO A GOOD PORTION OF THE NATIONS MIDSECTION.
THIS INCLUDES A FAIRLY STOUT MID LEVEL WAVE...PERSISTENT AND STRONG
ISENTROPIC ASCENT OUT AHEAD OF IT...AND DEEPENING LOW PRESSURE AS IT
MOVES NEAR THE AREA TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. ALTHOUGH LATEST
GUIDANCE IS IN FAIR AGREEMENT WITH THIS NEXT SYSTEM...STILL FEEL ITS
A BIT EARLY TO GRASP ONTO ANYONE SOLUTION AT THIS TIME. DID MAINTAIN
HIGH POPS DURING THIS PERIOD AS THERE IS A HIGHER LIKELIHOOD FOR THE
CWA TO OBSERVE PRECIP OF WHICH WOULD BE SNOW AT THIS TIME...BUT WITH
LOWER CONFIDENCE ON ANY SNOW AMOUNTS. ALTHOUGH DO WANT TO STRESS
THAT THIS WARRANTS CONTINUED CLOSE MONITORING AS ONCE AGAIN THIS
COULD IMPACT A WIDE AREA...AND ESPECIALLY WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR
STRONGER WINDS ALSO DURING THIS PERIOD.

trust me, none of the ohio guys are discounting a nw solution....why the hell would we?  We've been battered by it so many times.

I think some here forget that we actually experience the sh*t side of the nw trend the most here...duh...   And since we get hit with it the most, we watch for it the most.   Would I rather be in LAF's position with this over CMH's, even as modeled right now?....umm  yea, duh.  That doesn't mean we aren't going to stop rooting on the southeast trend, no more than the Chi guys should stop rooting on the nam solution.  It's all good.

So yes, we are fully aware of that 800 lb gorilla that lives in the corner of the room with every storm coming up from the south.  We just do our best not to stir him out his sleep.  It's just hard to do with you noisy b*stards out west and up north.   :angry:  :guitar:  :rambo:

lol, I know you guys are a hardy bunch. And at the end of the day, anyone can float a prediction. You've got the hard goods (the models) in your corner.

lol, I know you guys are a hardy bunch. And at the end of the day, anyone can float a prediction. You've got the hard goods (the models) in your corner.

gee thanks, it can get lonely down here in the south eastern flanks....  we're kinda the unpopular table in the school cafeteria.  :lol:  

If it's good for us, it sucks for the other 80% of the forum.   We need to recruit the PIT crowd and help level this puppy.

gee thanks, it can get lonely down here in the south eastern flanks....  we're kinda the unpopular table in the school cafeteria.  :lol:  

If it's good for us, it sucks for the other 80% of the forum.   We need to recruit the PIT crowd and help level this puppy.

We really do need to recruit the PIT folks. The I-95 crew doesn't like them, and the western NY crew doesn't care either way.

DVN leaning towards a moderate, advisory type of event.  Still early but that's pretty much what I think as well.  Still a chance this could bump up to a heavy event though if things come together better.  Liking the fact that the swath of cold sector precip is very broad, with no huge dropoffs on the north side like we've seen so many times this winter...

TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...DEEPENING STORM SYSTEM WILL BE TRACKING
OUT OF THE SOUTHERN PLAINS AND INTO THE OHIO VALLEY. OPERATIONAL
MODELS CONSISTENT WITH THIS BEING AT LEAST A SOLID ADVISORY CRITERIA
WITH AMOUNTS IN THE 3 TO 6 INCH RANGE
. THE SNOW SHOULD BEGIN IN OUR
SW CWA TUESDAY MORNING AND OVERSPREAD THE REMAINING OF THE CWA BY
AFTERNOON. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE TUESDAY NIGHT AND INTO
WEDNESDAY MORNING ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEFORMATION ZONE. HIGH CATEGORICAL
POPS ALREADY IN PLACE. SOMETHING TO KEEP AN EYE ON WILL BE THE
TIGHTENING GRADIENT BETWEEN THE DEEPENING LOW TO OUR EAST AND A 1046
MB HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING INTO THE NORTHERN PLAINS. THIS MAY
INCREASE THE POTENTIAL FOR CONSIDERABLE BLOWING/DRIFTING SNOW