• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

That would score a yahtzee for me.  The hospital I work in is in Wheeling!  I see a different path every 5-10 minutes.  I'm liking that euro. lol

Almost certain it comes further nw then the GFS or euro ( Euro tracks it to Wheeling and a bit stronger vs 12z )  is showing but doubt it goes far enough nw to give you guys that problem.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sounds like the 0z Euro has gone northwest...thus, it's caution flag time for LAF. Never easy.

Still plenty of room to work with for a nw trend.

Models are mishandling the S/W and the northern stream and thus providing many implications on the track and strength of the storm. If you analyze the 500mb vort charts, you could pick out some errors that I think the models will correct in the coming day or two. Been a horrible season for the models. For example, the GGEM completely retrogrades the northern stream and kills it off. 

Will be interesting to see what happens when it gets fully sampled.

Yep.. I mentioned this earlier in the case of the GFS.

Yeah the stuff up in Canada will allow for a bit of a nw trend but not that much unless ofcourse the models have that wrong as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens once it is fully sampled.

Don't know how much more we can afford, looking at the maps Geos posted. Guess we'll hope for the best here.

On the euro the 850 zero line gets as close as the se side of Indianapolis and cuts over to Dayton, and then near Mt Vernon, OH. That is as far nw as it gets. Only far southern/se Ohio gets above 32.

On the euro the 850 zero line gets as close as the se side of Indianapolis and cuts over to Dayton, and then near Mt Vernon, OH. That is as far nw as it gets. Only far southern/se Ohio gets above 32.

One thing I've noticed at least on forecast soundings from other models is that the warm layer is centered around 800 mb, meaning that 850 mb maps could be deceiving.  Not sure where the warm layer is on the Euro.

Thanks. Gonna be a fairly decent mix zone outside the all snow areas, if 2m temps stay below 32 for a good chunk of the region. Almost Jan 1999-like in that facet...though it was more snow over a larger area initially.

Thanks. Gonna be a fairly decent mix zone outside the all snow areas, if 2m temps stay below 32 for a good chunk of the region. Almost Jan 1999-like in that facet...though it was more snow over a larger area initially.

Does seem possible. Gonna be a nice feed from the gulf as this thing ejects out of the sw and will get some help via some se ridging ( can thank/blame the PNA going negative for encouraging it which is normal.. Why we get more nw trenders with -pna as long as the NAO stays +) which the GFS shows..

6z NAM not backing down with even higher totals of 12-16" across SE half of LOT CWA

it's a hair south and continues to have literally no support in the model universe so i'd expect 12z to continue in that direction. I've seen enough from the globals to tell me, the amped solution isn't happening.  Congrats CMI-LAF-CLE.

Another long duration light-mod hit seems about the best IA/IL/WI peeps can hope for.

EDIT: LOTs latest afd more or less agrees on the strength of the strong global consensus. Toss the NAM.

it's a hair south and continues to have literally no support in the model universe so i'd expect 12z to continue in that direction. I've seen enough from the globals to tell me, the amped solution isn't happening. Congrats CMI-LAF-CLE.

Another long duration light-mod hit seems about the best IA/IL/WI peeps can hope for.

EDIT: LOTs latest afd more or less agrees on the strength of the strong global consensus. Toss the NAM.

3rd and 18 for you.

quad cities always good for hope:

AND THUS FROM A FORCING AND MOISTURE PERSPECTIVE WOULD

SUGGEST MOSTLY SIMILAR SNOW AMOUNTS GENERALLY AROUND 3-7 INCHES.

WHAT WILL NEED MONITORING IS TYPICALLY THESE SYSTEMS COME OUT

STRONGER AND FURTHER NORTH.

LONGER DURATION OF FORCING THEREBY SUPPORTIVE OF POTENTIAL FOR SOME

HIGHER AMOUNTS.

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS STILL A WAYS OUT YET AND WOULD SAY

THAT MORE CHANGES TO MODELS PROBABLY COMING IN NEXT 24+ HRS...AS THE

post-2221-0-60519900-1391344765_thumb.jp

IWX forecaster's reasoning for the more SE solutions:

DIFFICULTIES MOUNT AS 18 UTC TUE TO 12 UTC WED EVENT NEARS. NAM12
INTO PICTURE WITH SIGNIFICANT VARIATION FROM REMAINING CONSISTENT
CLUSTER AS ITS SERN TX COASTAL SFC LOW EJECTION MARKEDLY PROGRESSIVE
AND LEFT TRACK POSITIONED WITHIN A MORE NEGATIVELY TILTED/LEFT TRACK
MID TROPOSPHERIC HFC OF 170-210M. WHILE USUALLY A LEFT TRACK
TREND/EVOLUTION JUMPED UPON SOME INIT CONCERNS BELIE TRENDING TO
THIS SOLUTION ATTM...FIRST OF WHICH IS LACK OF SLOWING EVO. FIRST
MAGNITUDE OF PRECEDENT ARCTIC AIRMASS WITH EXTREME DRYNESS IN
SFC-500 MB LAYER TO PROMOTE EXTREME COLUMN COOLING/RIGHTWARD SHIFT
TO LOW LEVEL THERMAL GRADIENT/PRES FALLS
ALSO FAVOR THE SIMILAR AND
MORE VERTICALLY STACKED GFS/ECMWF FGEN PROFILES WITH RESULTANT/
EXTREME DEEP UVM PROFILES AFTER DEEP LYR MOISTURE IS FULLY IN PLACE
AS WELL ATTM. ADDITIONALLY LACK OF STRONG DOWNSTREAM HGHT BLOCK
ANOMALY DOES NOT PORTEND TO SIG LEFT TRACKING.
NAM WOULD BRING MIXED
PRECIP INTO SERN CWA TUE NIGHT WITH HEAVIER SNOW TRACK FARTHER NW
INTO HEART OF CWA. OF NOTE IS 06 UTC NAM BACKTRACK WITH DUAL
LOBED/TRIPLE POINT...WITH PRIMARY LOW TRACK THROUGH ERN KY NNEWD
INTO WRN NY BY 12 UTC WED. AT SAME TIME PREFERRED STELLAR CONSISTENT
ECMWF INTO SWRN PA WITH SIMILARLY TRACKED GFS INITIATING MIDATL
HANDOFF...WITH PIVOT OF JUST OVER 3 G/KG IN 1000-850MB LAYER THROUGH
FAR SERN CWA AMID STRONG I290K ISENT ASCENT WITH STATICALLY UNSTABLE
LYR WITHIN HIGHLY ELEVATED/SATURATED DGZ. FOR NOW WILL KEEP PTYPE AS
ALL SNOW AND CONT TO FOCUS ON TRENDS BEFORE INTRODUCING ANY MIXED
PTYPE TO SERN PORTION OF CWA. SHOULD TRENDS CONT...EVENTUAL WS WATCH
ISSUANCE PSBL WITHIN 24 HRS.

EDIT: I like where I'm sitting.

I might have waited one more run...plus not so sure the lake don't get involved.

I'm completely riding the globals and tossing the NAM, it's crap and going to come SE at 12z. I'm also factoring in the globals being at least a little to potentially significantly too wet this far NW of the surface low (as mentioned by numerous surrounding offices in their AFDs). As far as the lake, doesn't really look that favorable but i guess that could change with a more developed system out east.

EDIT: great thoughts by IWX btw. All of the offices mentioning potential NW shifts are limited to it seems like this happens sometimes kind of reasoning. This seems much more sound.

I'm completely riding the globals and tossing the NAM, it's crap and going to come SE at 12z. I'm also factoring in the globals being at least a little to potentially significantly too wet this far NW of the surface low (as mentioned by numerous surrounding offices in their AFDs). As far as the lake, doesn't really look that favorable but i guess that could change with a more developed system out east.

EDIT: great thoughts by IWX btw. All of the offices mentioning potential NW shifts are limited to it seems like this happens sometimes kind of reasoning. This seems much more sound.

Hoping that your punt gets blocked but NAM by itself  not a good place for us to be.

Archived