• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

I like 4-8" for LAF too. Would be a nice event. But, I think north of here does a little better. Not due to mixing here, but the models seem insistent on getting LAF off to a slower start than those to the north...with the "front end" snows. Ratios should be a better the further north you go too. Anyways, that's my call right now. Certainly subject to change many times. :lol:

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like areas south of the Ohio may pick up 4-5 inches tonight.  If it hangs around until Tuesday what effect might that have on the track?

No effect at all. Trajectory of this storm is not one to be moved by snow cover down south. Plus, I think it's a fallacy in general. Only thing snow cover can do, in marginal situations, is that ground temps may stay a bit cooler longer.

No effect at all. Trajectory of this storm is not one to be moved by snow cover down south. Plus, I think it's a fallacy in general. Only thing snow cover can do, in marginal situations, is that ground temps may stay a bit cooler longer.

That's what I thought, but it was my last card and I had to play it.   It might keep us in the zr a bit longer maybe.

Since GHD has been mentioned a lot, the strength of the surface high coming down into the northern tier is similar to that storm, but the surface low with GHD was deeper.  Also, there's a little more separation between the high and low as currently progged so the gradient is not as tight.  Still have a nice pressure gradient which will lead to breezy conditions but not GHD type winds.

12z GEFS with excellent agreement with the OP, a couple SE, a couple NW but neither by a large amount. Excellent global consensus remains intact.

Yeah.  Now that the NAM has put the crack pipe aside (until the next storm) the model consensus has become pretty good all things considered.  Don't expect much change with the new Euro. 

Models depicting some reduced stability aloft.  NAM might've gone a little nuts with totals but don't think we can write off the possibility of 12+ totals at least in localized fashion. 

Whoever can stay out of that dryslot :axe: Hope the models kill that off. Between there insistence on starting snow sorta late here and that dryslot, someone folks may be hard pressed to hit 3 inches. But still a ton of time for change :sled:

Much like many of the southwest systems this winter the Euro keeps the real heavy precip on the warm side of the storm, and doesn't really wrap anything too heavy into the cold sector.  Just doesn't wrap up.  Kind of like the storm that dumped a foot of rain on southern IL back in Jan, but only 2-4" type snows in the cold sector.  This one isn't that extreme, but the concept is kind of similar. 

Whoever can stay out of that dryslot :axe: Hope the models kill that off. Between there insistence on starting snow sorta late here and that dryslot, someone folks may be hard pressed to hit 3 inches. But still a ton of time for change :sled:

Not sweating details like that at this point.  I think we are kinda locked on to a general solution but could still see some track/strength adjustments once this gets into the RAOB network.

Much like many of the southwest systems this winter the Euro keeps the real heavy precip on the warm side of the storm, and doesn't really wrap anything too heavy into the cold sector.  Just doesn't wrap up.  Kind of like the storm that dumped a foot of rain on southern IL back in Jan, but only 2-4" type snows in the cold sector.  This one isn't that extreme, but the concept is kind of similar. 

And these southern stream systems will continue to be relatively crappy like that as long as the vorts continue to get sheared apart like this:

f72.gif

versus this:

GFS_3_2014020112_F192_RELV_500_MB.png

or this:

011406.png

Not sweating details like that at this point.  I think we are kinda locked on to a general solution but could still see some track/strength adjustments once this gets into the RAOB network.

Ya, good point. The NAM is the most amped up go figure so its showing a large dryslot. Most other models at this point are not.

I'm liking the 5-9" range for LAF at this point.  Kinda big range but can narrow it down as it gets closer.  Not really leaning toward one end or another right now.  One thing that does seem pretty clear is that ratios won't be very good...maybe 12:1 or so. 

Still some chance that we have a brief period of mixing or that the mixing line gets a little too close for comfort but that possibility seems to be dwindling...for now lol

I'm liking the 5-9" range for LAF at this point.  Kinda big range but can narrow it down as it gets closer.  Not really leaning toward one end or another right now.  One thing that does seem pretty clear is that ratios won't be very good...maybe 12:1 or so. 

Still some chance that we have a brief period of mixing or that the mixing line gets a little too close for comfort but that possibility seems to be dwindling...for now lol

I like that general range up here as well thinking globals are a little too weak/sheared with wave of interest.

I like that general range up here as well thinking globals are a little too weak/sheared with wave of interest.

Is there any reason why all globals including the hi-res ecmwf would be too weak/sheared (ie wrong) with the sw? Or is this more of a hunch. In my experience, even in rare circumstance when the globals all trend towards the NAM, there were signs in the ensembles or some wavering but they've remained like a rock. Consistency and cross-model consensus goes a long way.

Is there any reason why all globals including the hi-res ecmwf would be too weak/sheared (ie wrong) with the sw? Or is this more of a hunch. In my experience, even in rare circumstance when the globals all trend towards the NAM, there were signs in the ensembles or some wavering but they've remained like a rock. Consistency and cross-model consensus goes a long way.

It is a known bias with southern stream wave ejections. I'm not suggesting the nam will verify but think gfs and euro qpf might be a little underdone in cold sector.

Archived