• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

Feb is just about in range and the Jan thread is pretty long. I have a hunch this thread is going to get long in a hurry. 

MJO is trying to wake up. That could help in Feb. GEFS has the strongest signal but going into phase 6 (usually not good) but cruises towards 7-8. 

Chatter about a real SSW being on the table. I know little so I'll leave it up to others. Maybe we get lucky and get some blocking in Feb. 

Most importantly, very active pattern coming up through the end of the month it seems. There will be a lot of model waffling at all leads so I'm sure there will be a bunch of peter norths up in here. 

Euro ens and GEFS agree on the overall high latitude pattern and hopefully it's stable and tough to break down. PV firmly locked on our side of the pole for the foreseeable future. 

Who's ready for our first region wide WSW?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a blend of phase 1-2 mjo composites for JFM. Have no idea if the cfs implies anything irt the mjo. But trop forcing seems to want to awaken and affect nh circulation. Maybe someone who knows more about this can chime in. I know enough to be dangerous. 

attachicon.gifmjo1-2.JPG

I believe the CFS ens has the MJO in phase 7, moving towards phase 8 in the first 10 days of Feb. I am not an expert on this stuff either, but we need it to progress to phase 8 then 1 and 2 (ideally). They are much more favorable for cold in the east than phase 7, but not sure how much it would matter if we have most of the other indices in our favor.

I believe the CFS ens has the MJO in phase 7, moving towards phase 8 in the first 10 days of Feb. I am not an expert on this stuff either, but we need it to progress to phase 8 then 1 and 2 (ideally). They are much more favorable for cold in the east than phase 7, but not sure how much it would matter if we have most of the other indices in our favor.

I think the main teleconnections work in tandem with the mjo in the 8-1-2 run if forcing is strong enough. Active southern stream and usually good blocking iirc. 

I don't really see anything exciting in the extended. Various vorts nearby do nothing w/o blocking and the NS flow will only benefit the upslope areas. I could see a clipper giving us a minor accumulation.

I think day 7-10 could have a storm...certainly better than the next 7 days (though maybe the weekend event gets better)...I'm not sure without a nice southern stream the models are going to be much use in that range when dealing with a miller B or hybrid...I'm more interested in the longwave pattern than what models are showing in discrete events...models have been consistent in showing a robust +PNA/-EPO pattern after day 7

I don't really see anything exciting in the extended. Various vorts nearby do nothing w/o blocking and the NS flow will only benefit the upslope areas. I could see a clipper giving us a minor accumulation.

I think looking past 3-5 days won't be worth it either way. Runs that show something won't verify and dry runs disappoint. With the pv getting displaced into se canada it can act like a block itself with confluence. We can easily get a 50/50 going but all the parts move so med-short leads are all we got. 

ETA: and what matt just said

I think day 7-10 could have a storm...certainly better than the next 7 days (though maybe the weekend event gets better)...I'm not sure without a nice southern stream the models are going to be much use in that range when dealing with a miller B or hybrid...I'm more interested in the longwave pattern than what models are showing in discrete events...models have been consistent in showing a robust +PNA/-EPO pattern after day 7

I think looking past 3-5 days won't be worth it either way. Runs that show something won't verify and dry runs disappoint. With the pv getting displaced into se canada it can act like a block itself with confluence. We can easily get a 50/50 going but all the parts move so med-short leads are all we got. 

yeah...models are of little use with discrete events outside of a few days...this isn't 2009-10 when a model can lock in at day 7...I'm looking forward to Wes's article...

Archived