• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

I'm not liking this dry pattern for December, looks like it might be a struggle to get the mountains ready for X-Mas outisde the upslope regions of NNE.

Yeah not great kind of surprised but they're making plenty of snow just odd that we may get well into December before the north country has a real shot at a widespread snow event.

SR up to 22 trails already though...so they're all blasting plenty of snow long as they don't get torched there will be plenty of open trails for Xmas week.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stowe is where to go if u like fresh snow. Period. Nearly two inches on my cartop today, and 2-4 fresh on mtn. In addition to 3-6 the other day, can any other area match the n. Greens, no they can't.

It will only get better this week, Ne's gold mine. And to think you were worried and preparing the scarf for the Gondola Hari Kari.

Stowe is where to go if u like fresh snow. Period. Nearly two inches on my cartop today, and 2-4 fresh on mtn. In addition to 3-6 the other day, can any other area match the n. Greens, no they can't.

You still in town?

Awesome and fun morning out there in the heavy snow.

post-352-0-51455300-1353958008.jpg

Waiting for the lift to open at 8am as it dumps 1"/hr snow.

The kitty cats going home to bed this morning...

Sweet conditions with 2-3" on top of the groomed surface.

Blurry but you get the point...

Light snow dancing thru the air in stowe, (bout 5 miles from mtn), powderfreak hit me up w a text bc I don't have ur number (maybe we can get a run in) if not no biggie, beautiful day. Gf is going out first time since saturdays so so conditions, I hope she has better time today.

Ahhh I'm just seeing this now... I got my runs in at 8am and am off the hill now. Been working (skiing) for 10 days straight and gotta take care of some stuff in town today. Tim Kelley and Weir Lundstedt are on the hill so keep your eyes out, they like to go fast ;) I was talking with them as I came off the hill earlier.

Nice dusting of fluff today... mood flakes and its been nice seeing the "snow globe" return after a long summer off. The phrase is true (as you have been seeing the last 4 days)... living here is like being in a snow globe when these patterns get going. There are just flakes in the air all the time even if it isn't accumulating much...like Borderwx said in the NNE thread, this time of year is like one giant flurry in the valleys and daily deposits on the mountains.

It's a sad state of affairs when Northern Connecticut has recieved more natural snowfall so far this season than at Killington in Central Vermont. Killington is at 7" for the season while some towns here are close to 10" or more.

To be fair, that was pretty much all in that one rouge storm when you guys got a band of 6-10" during Son of Sandy.

We are at 22" for the month of November and doesn't count the 8" or so in October.

Anyway, it was just another November morning with mid-winter snow conditions... floating those fluffy turns.

Stowe is the exception as Mt Snow is at 2" for seasonal snowfall and sugarloaf is at 4". It's been a sparse season so far for natural snowfall in New England. Thankfully it's cold enough for snowmaking in the near term.

the N. greens (jay , stowe) smuggs (when open) and to a slightly lesser degree (bolton) will be the exception alot. i.e they will always snow, when others in new england aren't and will always have more than SNE/NJ/ or whereever got an anomalous snowfall event.

stowe and jay both have 30 plus at the top so far. i'm sure smuggs is right there , and bolton if open would likely have somewhere around 23-26 IMO. even thou its not a owned ski mountain i'd like to know Mt. washington's season total as well. they usually get oragraphic snows with the best of them.

http://www.boston.co...8STL/story.html

interesting and bit depressing...story from yesterday's business section of The boston Globe concerning the effects of climate change on the New England Ski Industry

Of 103 ski resorts operating in the Northeast, less than half could be economically viable in 30 years if winter temperatures rise by between 2.5 and 4 degrees over the next several decades as expected, according to a study by Scott that will be published early next year. The report says that if society continues to rely heavily on fossil fuels, causing emissions from heat-trapping gases to rise, no Massachusetts ski areas would survive the next 30 years, and only seven of 18 New Hampshire resorts and eight of 14 Maine mountains would remain open.

Vermont would remain relatively stable, Scott found, with 16 of 18 resorts able to stay in business through at least the end of the century.

Snow making will become even more important in the coming decades as New England’s natural snowfalls diminish, according to Scott’s study. Resorts are already spending millions of dollars to increase their capacity — Stowe Mountain Resort in northern Vermont spent $4.7 million this year alone — and by the 2020s, Vermont and New Hampshire resorts may have to increase their snow making output by as much as 50 percent.

I wonder why he found that VT areas would remain stable in a 2.5-4F increase in temps, while NH and ME would see 50-70% of their areas close.

Would that be weather related or just that the majority of VT areas are more financially stable (more major resorts, less small backyard hills than NH/ME)?

i wonder if it has anything to do with base/summit elevation and upslope snow?

Archived