joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoosier would need to give you a free pass on the most expletive filled rant we've ever seen. :D

Good thing the chances of that storm happening as shown is 0.0001%.

Haha.  I'm hoping that even though this was off the op GFS that maybe we'll have another big dog to track in the next week or two. 

Haha.  I'm hoping that even though this was off the op GFS that maybe we'll have another big dog to track in the next week or two. 

I told Hoosier a week or so ago, that I thought another big dog was possible before the winter was finished. Nothing has changed for me with respect to that thinking. Keep the PV on our side, and with the general winter pattern to date (ups and downs) not looking to end anytime soon..."boom" again, somewhere down the road? 

Really windy out there. KYIP gusted to 44mph...Tons of blowing snow out there, saw a few snow-devils

I am absolutely SICK of the wind. We have had so much wind this winter. Lost power for a few hours today (as did half of the rest of Wyandotte), which sort of threw my errands off by a bit. Not sure of the peak wind gusts, but the peak hourly obs wind gust at DTW was 44mph, and not even a headline (just says "breezy"). Im almost positive we have had 50 mph gusts here. I wouldnt care less if I saw another newly-made snow drift the rest of winter...just give me nice deep, even snow! Snow blowing all over the place today, and it blew a ton of snow onto the cement, and the sun was out, so it melted some of it then the clouds took over and it froze it into ice! And this is the most unevenly distributed snowpack I have ever seen here. Open areas assaulted by the wind, or other wind tunnels, have plenty of spots that are now once again down to just over an inch of snow (thus a few grass tips visible), while other areas have newly forming drifts (from the just under 4" of powder that has fallen since Thursday morning) resting on top of the old hardpacked glacier drifts...so its just crazy to see. I will laughingly call "snow depth" 5" but judging by my neighbors and my yard it pretty much ranges from 1"-14".

I saw numerous snow devils simultaneously in a field this afternoon, but could not get stopped and the camera out in time to get a picture.

County roads are drifting closed and the highway department said, "Forget it."  They won't come back out until morning. I'm sure there will be no school here tomorrow without plows out clearing the roads.

Torch going on across central/western Iowa today.  Des Moines is 52, Sioux City is 64.  There is no trace left of the mini blizzard that hit central Iowa a couple days ago.  It has even climbed into the 40s here in CR despite solid snow cover.

Sioux City climbed 44 degrees in 4 hours (15 at 8 AM, 59 at noon).

Torch going on across central/western Iowa today.  Des Moines is 52, Sioux City is 64.  There is no trace left of the mini blizzard that hit central Iowa a couple days ago.  It has even climbed into the 40s here in CR despite solid snow cover.

Yeah was surprised at how warm it got here too.  Started at 7, made it to 41.  Lost at least an inch or two of snow just in the last few hours. 

Give me this one...and you might be able to talk me into wanting Spring to arrive shortly thereafter. ;)

Caution...big :weenie: images, from a big :weenie:

And 6 hours later on the 18z GFS...cyclone gets his revenge. 

Interesting, that's two in a row in that timeframe for the GFS showing a big storm. What, only 48 more runs to go? :weenie::D

The next 3 days look awesome w/wind and falling/blowing powder, :)) Love this stuff;)

x

Looks like winter has been kind to almost all Northern Michigan this year, was in Traverse City over the weekend as was really surprised to see how they had.

At this point I wouldn't mind a little break especially with the cold. With all the snow it is getting excessively harder to see pulling out of our driveway, no where else to put the piles except higher. Although I it is looking increasing likely that the cold will finally shut down the LES guns, be interesting to see how much open water is left after this latest PV blast.

Honestly?

The period between the 25th and 1st is where we actually have the greatest potential of seeing another big storm. Reason? AO, EPO, switching phases ( EPO goes + for a day before diving again while the PNA goes near neutral ) and signs the MJO signal may make a sudden stop and back up ( usually a false signal but suggests something else going on )  in this period.

NOT saying anything will happen. Still if there is a time for the door opening up that would be it.

Archived