• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov 1/2 Coastal Chance?

Zelocita Weather

I would welcome a trace or more of snow anytime from November 1-15.

There were some real heavy hitters in the following T or more at NYC

during November 1-15.

NYC trace or more of snow November 1-15 and total seasonal snowfall:

1887-1888.....45.6"

2002-2003.....49.3"

1962-1963.....16.3"

1879-1880.....22.9"

1953-1954.....15.8"

2012-2013.....26.1" NYC....ISP 46.9" February record blizzard

1892-1893.....49.7"

1987-1988.....19.1"

1995-1996.....75.6"

2004-2005.....41.0"

1911-1912.....29.5"

1906-1907.....53.2"

That 1995-96 analog is awesome everytime i see ;)

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we often look for correlations where none exist, or where there is not enough sample ... even though NYC has a long history, the sample is not very robust when you start filtering the data...

e.g., if we ran Z tests on Novembers that had snow vs. those that didn't and looked at average snowfall, the result would not be statistically significant methinks.

I would welcome a trace or more of snow anytime from November 1-15.

There were some real heavy hitters in the following T or more at NYC

during November 1-15.

NYC trace or more of snow November 1-15 and total seasonal snowfall:

1887-1888.....45.6"

2002-2003.....49.3"

1962-1963.....16.3"

1879-1880.....22.9"

1953-1954.....15.8"

2012-2013.....26.1" NYC....ISP 46.9" February record blizzard

1892-1893.....49.7"

1987-1988.....19.1"

1995-1996.....75.6"

2004-2005.....41.0"

1911-1912.....29.5"

1906-1907.....53.2"

I think we often look for correlations where none exist, or where there is not enough sample ... even though NYC has a long history, the sample is not very robust when you start filtering the data...

e.g., if we ran Z tests on Novembers that had snow vs. those that didn't and looked at average snowfall, the result would not be statistically significant methinks.

The point is that there is nothing that says that an earlier snow at NYC will have some negative impact on

seasonal snowfall potential. Some years the snowy pattern becomes established early enough in November

and carries through the winter. I can remember reading accounts of the legendary winter of 1779-1780 having

some very early snows. But I will shy away from calling for cold enough winter temps this year for people

to be able to cross NY harbor and LI Sound on the ice. ;)

The point is that there is nothing that says that an earlier snow at NYC will have some negative impact on

seasonal snowfall potential. Some years the snowy pattern becomes established early enough in November

and carries through the winter. I can remember reading accounts of the legendary winter of 1779-1780 having

some very early snows. But I will shy away from calling for cold enough winter temps this year for people

to be able to cross NY harbor and LI Sound on the ice. ;)

Totally agree, I think we are making the same point. 

No offense folks, but if anyone here actually thought this "storm" was going to happen, you need to take a break and enjoy life.

Considering this is a weather forum and for many of us a hobby, we are enjoying life by discussing model runs, specially when there is a threat in some of the runs. But thanks for the advice.  :)

WINTERS HERE! the mood swings encouraged by model runs have resumed. honestly this is suppose to happen Saturday and its what Monday night? some in here have got to take a chill pill and let this play out. how many times have a model(s) nailed a forecast this far out? regardless if this happens or not lets not make us look like a bunch of people who act like we live and die on the model run

WINTERS HERE! the mood swings encouraged by model runs have resumed. honestly this is suppose to happen Saturday and its what Monday night? some in here have got to take a chill pill and let this play out. how many times have a model(s) nailed a forecast this far out? regardless if this happens or not lets not make us look like a bunch of people who act like we live and die on the model run

Well, it is a bunch of people who live and die on each model run, lol. Wait until it comes back again and dissappears after that. Some People will jump off a cliff

I can see a burst of Moderate Snow possible for NYC and NW of the city, but it will be relatively short. The snow will also be wind driven (winds gusts over 40 mph) , so the wind chill will easily approach the mid 20s. That's if the LP is close enough to wrap the cold air around itself. Otherwise, scattered flurries looks pretty likely by Saturday Evening.

I've heard that before...with almost every storm that happens, the models are always not that far from something big. It takes a lot of things to go right for something big to happen this early in the season, hence why it is rare.

it's only Monday. I would wait till Thursday 12z runs to make a real decision. Do u by any chance have the surface map for tonight gfs 0z run?

Sunday morning is going to be cold. GFS is showing near freezing temps right near the City.

honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we get an inch or so out of this. I guess no frost Sunday morning could be a freeze though. I love it! Although I wish we'd get frost before a freeze. My father always told me you need a frost and than a hard freeze to get a cold and snowy winter. He's old though so I don't know how accurate he is!

honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we get an inch or so out of this. I guess no frost Sunday morning could be a freeze though. I love it! Although I wish we'd get frost before a freeze. My father always told me you need a frost and than a hard freeze to get a cold and snowy winter. He's old though so I don't know how accurate he is!

If you think you're getting an inch of snow from this..im sorry but your crazy. This is and has always been flurries/snowshowers at best.

These inverted trough setups on the models are often overdone at this stage. It could happen but odds are it would be minor and confined to a small area inland. If we continue to see trends toward a sharp amplification and the low closing off south of us, I might become more interested. Right now I'd hedge towards this being a showery frontal passage.

Archived