• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov 1/2 Coastal Chance?

Zelocita Weather

The November 2012 snow was just an extension of sandy for me because I still hadnt gotten power back and was on day 12 of backup generator

Yep I just remember that whole thing was such a mess. I still can't believe how ill equipped we all truly were.....Driving miles and miles just to get enough gas, cold showers.....Despite having no heat, hot water or electricity, I'm thankful that my family and I still had shelter throughout the storm. What would normally be icing on the cake with some snow was like a cold slap in the face on top of everything else

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Imperator

Staten Island is all trees, unless you are on the main roads.

Howard Beach, Queens had a lot of sizable trees too, although most of them were removed last year due to salt water damage from Sandy and also some ConEd felt would be a nuisance to their infrastructure. Luckily the city is replanting close to 400 trees in our area. 

Guest Imperator

GFS 6Z/JFK: 

SAT 18Z 01-NOV 10.9 -0.6 1005 70 98 0.03 541 537
SAT 21Z 01-NOV 8.0 -0.7 1005 87 99 0.08 541 537
SUN 00Z 02-NOV 5.3 -0.7 1007 91 100 0.20 541 536
SUN 03Z 02-NOV 4.1 -1.4 1007 94 99 0.11 541 535
SUN 06Z 02-NOV 4.1 -1.5 1008 93 100 0.21 541 534
SUN 09Z 02-NOV 3.9 -1.8 1011 92 100 0.07 542 533
SUN 12Z 02-NOV 3.4 -2.0 1015 89 91 0.10 544 532 

This could be a case where the Bronx, north shore of LI would do better than the south shore. It always happens with these marginal events where it will be snowing in Manhattan and raining/mix down by me. 

How can you say that Manhattan doesn't have a lot of trees when they have Central Park? Brooklyn is really the only boro that is almost wall to wall pavement.

The rest of Manhattan where people live has very little trees and would sustain very little damage from an early season snowfall. Heck half the time you barely notice it snowed even in January the day following a modest snowstorm

The rest of Manhattan where people live has very little trees and would sustain very little damage from an early season snowfall. Heck half the time you barely notice it snowed even in January the day following a modest snowstorm

Okay correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see where you were specifying about possible damage.

Yes, most of the snow in Manhattan that does stick around is black before the next morning, outside of the areas in and close to the park.

Okay correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see where you were specifying about possible damage.

Yes, most of the snow in Manhattan that does stick around is black before the next morning, outside of the areas in and close to the park.

Well I thought that was kind of the point. Early season snowfall won't make a difference unless you live near alot of trees or have power lines that could be brought down by the weight. 

How can you say that Manhattan doesn't have a lot of trees when they have Central Park? Brooklyn is really the only boro that is almost wall to wall pavement.

Where people live. No one lives in Central Park.

The area of Bayside, North Flushing, Douglaston and Little Neck, in Queens, has some densely tree lined areas (relatively speaking).

Where people live. No one lives in Central Park.

The area of Bayside, North Flushing, Douglaston and Little Neck, in Queens, has some densely tree lined areas (relatively speaking).

I'm familiar with Queens ever since my sister lived in Flushing while attending St Johns Law. Now she's out in Smithtown.

Guys back to the storm please ! 

I posted the 850 differences between the Euro OP and it Ensembles at 108 . At this distance I would recommend watching the 500 MB evolution on the Euro to see if the energy continues to consolidate . 

troof! do tree's actually grow in "da hood"? and I don't mean the ones people smoke :lol:

you must have been to my park in south Brooklyn. Depending on the time of day or night, just walking through that park can put you pretty close to the tops of the resident trees.

Get ready for the Prospect Park counter attack. Nice place, specifically where the glacier stopped..

Brooklyn and Manhattan have the least amount of trees.

Queens, Bronx and Staten Island have a lot of sections that are pretty thick in trees. Especially Northeast Queens and Northern Bronx.

Actually, Brooklyn is #2 of the five boroughs in the number of trees. 

Guys back to the storm please ! 

I posted the 850 differences between the Euro OP and it Ensembles at 108 . At this distance I would recommend watching the 500 MB evolution on the Euro to see if the energy continues to consolidate . 

totally agree here. also IF the UKMET ends up being correct kudos to it for being so consistent over the past several days on the more digging/amplified solution. That said, much better trend overnight from our EURO to a colder/snowier solution after the 18z weenie suicides yesterday evening....

Good Post .   Wana see how it gets sampled 

the sampling thing in the "sparse data regions" of Canada has and has not played a notable role in the final outcome of the storm on the east coast in the past, however like chris said the tropical connection will certainly throw a monkey wrench into this forecast the next few days paul.

Good Post .   Wana see how it gets sampled 

thats why the models are confused on  how to handle ANA - it is amazing though that a Pacific hurricane that was 6000 miles away from us at one point could end up being a major player in our weather with some very impressive results for this time of the year - the Atlantic hurricane season was a dud this year except for Bermuda

thats why the models are confused on  how to handle ANA - it is amazing though that a Pacific hurricane that was 6000 miles away from us at one point could end up being a major player in our weather with some very impressive results for this time of the year - the Atlantic hurricane season was a dud this year except for Bermuda

Bermuda really got walloped by the hurricane. this isn't the first time a tropical influence has had an influence on our sensible weather, whether it be from the pacific or atlantic side

Very true . I think the Euro ensembles could be right and I am really starting  to think it Snows and accumulates all the way to the coast . 

I was not around NYC proper during the late October 2011 and Early November, 2012 snow events.

In which storm did NYC proper receive more and were there winter weather advisories or winter storm warnings hoisted for either?

I believe that Upton hoisted Winter Weather Advisories.

Lol, forgot about prospect park?

I was just about to mention prospect park lol

Archived