• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

yea rising confidence that that period is going to show no snow lol. this is exactly why i dont understand why people predict such garbage. nobody has a clue, its all a guessing game. u can show all the fancy charts and maps u want but they mean ****

What an epic meltdown post.

What "rising confidence" are you speaking of? The rising confidence of 10-day deterministic surface details on the fancy charts and maps that you claim don't mean ****?

Lol

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What "rising confidence" are you speaking of? The rising confidence of 10-day deterministic surface details on the fancy charts and maps that you claim don't mean ****?

Lol

I think he was referring to the thread about how 12/15-1/1 looked like a snowy period according to the indices, and it's been anything but. Looks like there might be a little more of a threat towards NYE (and perhaps a couple days before), but the -NAO appears like it's going to be relatively transient for now. Hopefully as we head deeper into January that changes.

Anyhow, nice little dusting of snow here as well this morning. 

Lol

Meltdown ? Yea ok lol. I don't get upset if it doesn't snow but I do find it funny that some people think they can predict the future weather.

I think he was referring to the thread about how 12/15-1/1 looked like a snowy period according to the indices, and it's been anything but. Looks like there might be a little more of a threat towards NYE (and perhaps a couple days before), but the -NAO appears like it's going to be relatively transient for now. Hopefully as we head deeper into January that changes.

Anyhow, nice little dusting of snow here as well this morning.

Bingo

Meltdown ? Yea ok lol. I don't get upset if it doesn't snow but I do find it funny that some people think they can predict the future weather.

It's amazing how some grown adults allow the weather to control their mood, both good and bad. I guess many of us do this to some extent otherwise we wouldn't follow the weather as much I suppose but to get pissed off, as it appears some do, over the weather is kind of sad.

Professionals and knowledgeable amateurs don't think they can "predict the future weather." They identify periods when a certain weather pattern appears more likely than not, such as when there appears to be an elevated chance of storminess and lower temps.

Writing off snow through New Years is just as ridiculous as "predicting" it at this point, even if you end up being correct.

It's amazing how some grown adults allow the weather to control their mood, both good and bad. I guess many of us do this to some extent otherwise we wouldn't follow the weather as much I suppose but to get passed off, as it appears some do, over the weather is kind of sad.

Agreed. You can also make a similar argument for professional sports,something else that people have no control over yet let wins and losses dictate their moods for days at a time.

Professionals and knowledgeable amateurs don't think they can "predict the future weather." They identify periods when a certain weather pattern appears more likely than not, such as when there appears to be an elevated chance of storminess and lower temps.

Writing off snow through New Years is just as ridiculous as "predicting" it at this point, even if you end up being correct.

you dont understand sarcasm do you.  i agree , anything can happen.  it only takes one little ripple in the atmosphere to change everything. thats my point.

It's amazing how some grown adults allow the weather to control their mood, both good and bad. I guess many of us do this to some extent otherwise we wouldn't follow the weather as much I suppose but to get passed off, as it appears some do, over the weather is kind of sad.

the only time i may show some frustration is when we get shafted in storm.  otherwise it doesnt have any effect on me

the only time i may show some frustration is when we get shafted in storm.  otherwise it doesnt have any effect on me

Like last winter when you are told by everyone that you are going to get 8-12 inches of snow due to awsome snow growth.

You struggle to get 4 or 5 inches due to poor snow growth. Last winer we had like 3 storms that busted due to snow growth formulas.

Never again will I take the famous 20 & 30 to 1 snow ratios.

Lol

I'm wondering whether or not I should put up my ice rink this year? What do you guys think? Last year, we skated up until St. Patrick's Day, and the year before I had about 5 solid weeks of use out of it, but the cold looks iffy this year. I've only put it up the last 2 years, but I know that some winters it would have stood no chance of use for more than a few days here and there. A lot of work for something that I may barely get use out of. I may just wait until mid January and see how it looks then.

I'm wondering whether or not I should put up my ice rink this year? What do you guys think? Last year, we skated up until St. Patrick's Day, and the year before I had about 5 solid weeks of use out of it, but the cold looks iffy this year. I've only put it up the last 2 years, but I know that some winters it would have stood no chance of use for more than a few days here and there. A lot of work for something that I may barely get use out of. I may just wait until mid January and see how it looks then.

How long does it take to put together?  I would wait, regardless, at this point.

I would wait... Last yr the cold was extremely impressive. This yr there is possibility you will be skating on slush

How long does it take to put together?  I would wait, regardless, at this point.

I would wait... Last yr the cold was extremely impressive. This yr there is possibility you will be skating on slush

That's what I was thinking. Last year, if I had it up in late December, it would have been useful for almost 3 months, but I didn't get it up and running until mid January. It only takes an afternoon to put the frame up (3 hours or so), then putting down the plastic sheeting and filling is the easier part. That being said, if the winter ends up being a dud, it will be a constant reminder of such. I will wait a couple weeks and see what the long term forecast looks like then. I was just trying to get ahead of the game this year.

That's what I was thinking. Last year, if I had it up in late December, it would have been useful for almost 3 months, but I didn't get it up and running until mid January. It only takes an afternoon to put the frame up (3 hours or so), then putting down the plastic sheeting and filling is the easier part. That being said, if the winter ends up being a dud, it will be a constant reminder of such. I will wait a couple weeks and see what the long term forecast looks like then. I was just trying to get ahead of the game this year.

It also helped that last yr our snowpack was the best in yrs and probably helped us achieve many sub-zero/single digit nights.

Regardless be thankful that you don't live anywhere near the coast. lol Its becoming quite clear that this winter is a lost cause for them. Maybe a 3-4 week winter down there. Believe it or not but 99% of us up here are above average with 10-18" of snowfall so far

Archived