• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

Everything I've read as of late seems to suggest a rather sluggish return to winter over the next several weeks. My expectations are tempered.

January will produce for us in this thread.

It would take a complete weather failure for most of us not to get 15 inches +/- of snow this month.

All we need is one decent event and a minor event or two.

I remain optimistic.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything I've read as of late seems to suggest a rather sluggish return to winter over the next several weeks. My expectations are tempered.

Agreed. It's odd to think too that assuming there's no more measurable snow here that I'll be below average in the snowfall dept by the end of the month. To Animals point though, HM was making some interesting points on Twitter the other day so we shall see.

Even though it seems night and day compared to last year, the cold really didn't hit full bore until January 21st. Prior to that, 12 of the 20 days in January were at or above normal, and of the below normal days, 3 were just below at 31-33 degrees for a high (using Poughkeepsie data, average high of 35 degrees). There was also 1 day in the 60s, 3 in the 50s, and 4 in the upper 40s. Of course, we did have some very cold days mixed in, and a couple of snow events.

Anyhow, with that being said, I don't think it's time to cancel winter just yet!

Even though it seems night and day compared to last year, the cold really didn't hit full bore until January 21st. Prior to that, 12 of the 20 days in January were at or above normal, and of the below normal days, 3 were just below at 31-33 degrees for a high (using Poughkeepsie data, average high of 35 degrees). There was also 1 day in the 60s, 3 in the 50s, and 4 in the upper 40s. Of course, we did have some very cold days mixed in, and a couple of snow events.

Anyhow, with that being said, I don't think it's time to cancel winter just yet!

Canceling too soon is just as bad as spiking footballs too soon. Just enjoy the ride no matter where it takes us.

I am predicting a very snowy February in these parts, anticipating a rising QBO slowing the Pac Jet and consistent climo during El Nino years delivering for us later in winter. January will be a transition month from this mild pattern to the Feb one with most of our snow after Jan 15. I could be way off, but I'm sticking to it. March will be very stormy and cold with a good chance for a KU event in early March.

i typically cancel winter April 1st.

I am predicting a very snowy February in these parts, anticipating a rising QBO slowing the Pac Jet and consistent climo during El Nino years delivering for us later in winter. January will be a transition month from this mild pattern to the Feb one with most of our snow after Jan 15. I could be way off, but I'm sticking to it. March will be very stormy and cold with a good chance for a KU event in early March.

Feb. is the snowiest month for these parts. 2 of the last 5 have been historic

Last feb was awesome. 2-3ft snowpack for the entire month as well. Feb 2010 was unreal though. Most of us I think hAd 50"+ that month alone

I'd have to check my records but I don't think my snowpack got to 24" last year, if I did then it wasn't for long due to compaction. It was a good snowpack year though for sure. I'll have to look up Feb 2010 some fall too.

I'd have to check my records but I don't think my snowpack got to 24" last year, if I did then it wasn't for long due to compaction. It was a good snowpack year though for sure. I'll have to look up Feb 2010 some fall too.

U probably did , I was up to 28 or so I believe and I remember because I have a detached garage that's right next to my in ground pool. Well the whole pool side of the roofs snow pack slide of my garage roof and into my pool lol. I thought my liner was ruined as the ice shifted about two feet in the air on the low side . Thankfully no damage lol

Im pretty sure you had at least 24" otg for awhile. There was very little melt going on in that time period. If I'm not mistaken I maintained 28-32" for quite a bit during that stretch.

Yeah I am also relying on a snowy Feb, although the ECMWF seems to think the party is coming early this run lol. Even in the winter of 2011-2012 I had multiple southwest flow events in Feb. So far I'm at about 9.5 for the season, almost all in November. Pretty sure my work at 1200' in New Paltz is at about 24".

0z GFS for Saturday night for MGJ is a 6 hr front end dump followed by zr.. I don't believe it one bit but nice to see.

Upton still calling for snow here before a flip towards the end so we'll see how long the cold hangs on. It was good to see the snow guns blasting away on the tubing hill the past couple of days, feet and feet of snow so I have that going for me, which is nice. Quite a meltdown in the NE threads by the usual suspect, somewhat entertaining.

Upton still calling for snow here before a flip towards the end so we'll see how long the cold hangs on. It was good to see the snow guns blasting away on the tubing hill the past couple of days, feet and feet of snow so I have that going for me, which is nice. Quite a meltdown in the NE threads by the usual suspect, somewhat entertaining.

It must be nice to see the snow guns fire away. A short trip to do some tubing for us and just a short walk for you. Have a healthy and safe New Year and yes, no meltdown in this thread  :sled: 

Mt Holly NWS expects some snow & sleet saturday afternoon north of  I 78.

May get an inch or so prior to it being washed away with an inch of rain.

NJZ001-PAZ054-055-012100-

SUSSEX-CARBON-MONROE-

400 PM EST WED DEC 31 2014

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN NEW JERSEY AND

NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

SNOW AND SLEET ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON SHOULD TRANSITION TO RAIN

AND FREEZING RAIN ON SATURDAY EVENING BEFORE CHANGING TO ALL RAIN

ON SATURDAY NIGHT.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

It must be nice to see the snow guns fire away. A short trip to do some tubing for us and just a short walk for you. Have a healthy and safe New Year and yes, no meltdown in this thread :sled:

We could have a GTG at the base of the tubing hill just so we all can watch the snow fly, LOL. Happy New Year to you and yours old buddy!

Mt Holly NWS expects some snow & sleet saturday afternoon north of I 78.

May get an inch or so prior to it being washed away with an inch of rain.

NJZ001-PAZ054-055-012100-

SUSSEX-CARBON-MONROE-

400 PM EST WED DEC 31 2014

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN NEW JERSEY AND

NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

SNOW AND SLEET ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON SHOULD TRANSITION TO RAIN

AND FREEZING RAIN ON SATURDAY EVENING BEFORE CHANGING TO ALL RAIN

ON SATURDAY NIGHT.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

It stinks buddy but we aren't rookies here, we just roll with the punches. We'll get ours eventually. Happy New Year!

Doesn't it figure ... No snow to speak of for the season so far (other than the pre Turkey Day storm) but the commute home from the city Saturday night will probably suck and then Sunday will be wet.

Hope everybody has a Happy New Year!  Think of me while you're out partying, my 88 year old FIL was taken to the hospital this afternoon with some sort of heart issue and my wife is staying there as late as they will let her.  I'm eating microwave food and drinking Sierra Nevadas at home with one of the kids, the other is with the wife.

Doesn't it figure ... No snow to speak of for the season so far (other than the pre Turkey Day storm) but the commute home from the city Saturday night will probably suck and then Sunday will be wet.

Hope everybody has a Happy New Year! Think of me while you're out partying, my 88 year old FIL was taken to the hospital this afternoon with some sort of heart issue and my wife is staying there as late as they will let her. I'm eating microwave food and drinking Sierra Nevadas at home with one of the kids, the other is with the wife.

Sorry to hear that, I hope it all works out. I'm drinking with one of my kids too until the others get here.

Archived