Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He thinks that last 15 years are the new normal. Every pattern breaks eventually.

Well that's fine but doesn't he realize our totals are Higher as well in that stretch ? it just didnt snow more in the city lol  My avg long term here is about 40. During this stretch of winters it's probably in the upper 40s to maybe even 50

By the way my avg for the last 7 years at my current location is just under 48(just went back and checked all my totals)

Well that's fine but doesn't he realize our totals are Higher as well in that stretch ? it just didnt snow more in the city lol  My avg long term here is about 40. During this stretch of winters it's probably in the upper 40s to maybe even 50

By the way my avg for the last 7 years at my current location is just under 48(just went back and checked all my totals)

Thats what I was saying the whole time lol.. It just wasn't snowier for NYC. Im running about 5-7" above normal for the past 12 yrs. It doesn't mean its my new normal. 

Albany's take on the Grinch storm...

THIS STORM MIGHT BRING SOME STRONG WIND TO THE HIGHER TERRAIN
WEDNESDAY...AS IT LOOKS SIMILAR TO THE SETUP OF THE GREAT
APPALACHIAN STORM OF 1950 AS WELL AS THE "CLEVELAND BOMB" OF 1978.

HEAVY RAIN MIGHT TRIGGER SOME HYDRO ISSUES AS WE STILL HAVE A BIT OF
SNOW TO MELT IN THE MOUNTAINS.

Pretty bold stuff.

He thinks that last 15 years are the new normal. Every pattern breaks eventually.

Last decade & two fifths ridiculously anomalously snowy for NYC, Philly, & Long Island...and unusually snowy in Boston.

Total Snowfall

2000-01 through 2013-14 (Last 14 Years)

Boston / Logan Airport: 679.8 inches / average 48.56 inches

Brookhaven Lab, L.I. / Upton: 596.1 inches / average 42.58 inches

New York City / Central Park: 467.5 inches / average 33.39 inches

Philadelphia / International Airport: 389.9 inches / average 27.85 inches

Baltimore / BWI Airport: 292.0 inches / average 20.86 inches

Washington / Reagan Airport: 214.7 inches / average 15.34 inches

<Exits as quietly as she entered>

Last decade & two fifths ridiculously anomalously snowy for NYC, Philly, & Long Island...and unusually snowy in Boston.

Total Snowfall

2000-01 through 2013-14 (Last 14 Years)

Boston / Logan Airport: 679.8 inches / average 48.56 inches

Brookhaven Lab, L.I. / Upton: 596.1 inches / average 42.58 inches

New York City / Central Park: 467.5 inches / average 33.39 inches

Philadelphia / International Airport: 389.9 inches / average 27.85 inches

Baltimore / BWI Airport: 292.0 inches / average 20.86 inches

Washington / Reagan Airport: 214.7 inches / average 15.34 inches

<Exits as quietly as she entered>

But U missed the point . If it was snowier in NYC it was snowier nw as well

But U missed the point . If it was snowier in NYC it was snowier nw as well

Just out of curiosity...did I say somewhere that it was not snowier N&W of NYC as well?

I posted the chart for informational purposes. 

Just out of curiosity...did I say somewhere that it was not snowier N&W of NYC as well?

I posted the chart for informational purposes. 

You also need to bear in mind that there are not that many first order weather stations in the hills of New Jersey...there are many cooperatives...and we can certainly double check their records to determine the approximate positive anomaly in snow during the span in question.  I often consider Avoca / Scranton one of the better first order stations N&W of NYC....they generally had a mean annual snowfall in the 50 inch range prior to the new century...but I would wager that their mean from 2001-2014 was a good deal closer to the long term average than NYC's was. 

You also need to bear in mind that there are not that many first order weather stations in the hills of New Jersey...there are many cooperatives...and we can certainly double check their records to determine the approximate positive anomaly in snow during the span in question. I often consider Avoca / Scranton one of the better first order stations N&W of NYC....they generally had a mean annual snowfall in the 50 inch range prior to the new century...but I would wager that their mean from 2001-2014 was a good deal closer to the long term average than NYC's was.

I don't need a first order station I've kept my own records and vs long term average I'm about 8 inches above norm for the last 8 years

I don't need a first order station I've kept my own records and vs long term average I'm about 8 inches above norm for the last 8 years

Is there a station in Butler that affords you the opportunity to make the comparison of the recent past vs the distant past?  There is the Charlotteburg Reservoir...perched at about 760 feet...with a long term mean in the 42 inch range...thus you would need to be in the 50 inch range the last 8 years...assuming a similar altitude...of course, you could potentially pro rate it for elevation...around these parts...I would probably add one inch of snowfall per average year for about every 75 foot increase in elevation; give or take. 

Guest Patrick

The ridiculous looking map with the very tight gradient is absolutely spot-on, at least from Warren through Sussex Counties.  Between Animal and I he has recorded very different amounts than I have during the same storm, and we are in the same town...what's a thousand feet among friends?

Is there a station in Butler that affords you the opportunity to make the comparison of the recent past vs the distant past? There is the Charlotteburg Reservoir...perched at about 760 feet...with a long term mean in the 42 inch range...thus you would need to be in the 50 inch range the last 8 years...assuming a similar altitude...of course, you could potentially pro rate it for elevation...around these parts...I would probably add one inch of snowfall per average year for about every 75 foot increase in elevation; give or take.

I've lived in my town for all my life . Elevation of my town ranges from 360-660( and it's a small town of only 2 square miles ) no first order station in butler and used charlottes burg has a reference though some of there data is missing . My avg for the last 7 years is about 48 . As the crow flies charlotaberg is very close

I've lived in my town for all my life . Elevation of my town ranges from 360-660( and it's a small town of only 2 square miles ) no first order station in butler and used charlottes burg has a reference though some of there data is missing . My avg for the last 7 years is about 48 . As the crow flies charlotaberg is very close

Yeah...the Reservoir is just up the road a piece...I love to take 23 up to High Point during the winter months...amazingly scenic. 

Yeah...the Reservoir is just up the road a piece...I love to take 23 up to High Point during the winter months...amazingly scenic. 

Veer off rt 23 on canestar road or Rt 515 and pull into Highland Lakes.

Talk about scenic...just my personal choice.

I have a prime view of the entire valley and the kittatinny ridge line/high point monument.

Guest Patrick

or 565... though you are twice as high... some of the hilltops here catch the same view.  It's amazing that the view *of* high point tower is just as cool as the view *from*

Veer off rt 23 on canestar road or Rt 515 and pull into Highland Lakes.

Talk about scenic...just my personal choice.

I have a prime view of the entire valley and the kittatinny ridge line/high point monument.

It appears as though we may go through this "favorable pattern" for snow through January 1st without any snow whatsoever. A bit of a signal at the end of the month, but a long way to go. I'm wondering if this is going to be one of those winters that always looks great in the future, but the goods never materialize. 

It appears as though we may go through this "favorable pattern" for snow through January 1st without any snow whatsoever. A bit of a signal at the end of the month, but a long way to go. I'm wondering if this is going to be one of those winters that always looks great in the future, but the goods never materialize. 

No worries bro.winter kicked me in the butt 2nd week of february last year.

See my post in the phillly forum.

I remain optimistic. Going to hope for the best end of the month.

best

It is certainly easy to think that way given the December we are having but there is a lot of winter left, so I think we will end up doing fine.  It certainly is quiet in the NYC sub-forum though.. It makes me feel a little nervous that it is so quiet, like everybody has given up or perhaps left to post elsewhere after all the recent issues.. It is Christmas, so people have probably got better things to do than sit on here I suppose.

yea rising confidence that that period is going to show no snow lol. this is exactly why i dont understand why people predict such garbage. nobody has a clue, its all a guessing game.  u can show all the fancy charts and maps u want but they mean ****

Archived