• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

Bingo.  to many youngsters who think nyc averages 50 inches of snow every year. Coast has been very spoiled these last 10 or so years. i dont get the beating they gave oldyanks fan guy, he is one of the better posters in those threads

I'm also happy to have Yanks Fan posting in this thread he is very knowledgable and definitely passionate.  Besides  he  lives along the route 23 corridor in NW NJ like you and I do.

I love the picture of the deer eating the pumpkin on your weather station link - very cool.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also happy to have Yanks Fan posting in this thread he is very knowledgable and definitely passionate.  Besides  he  lives along the route 23 corridor in NW NJ like you and I do.

I love the picture of the deer eating the pumpkin on your weather station link - very cool.

thanks, came out great with the snow. the deer eat every piece of the pumpkins.  that pic is  from my trail cam

Seems like the big storm idea is off the table for the weekend, but it got me thinking. Just a hypothetical for fun loosely based on the upcoming weather systems, would you rather have a big storm (12"+) a few days before Christmas followed by a rainer on Christmas Day itself, or a miss from the first system and a light snowfall (1-3") on Christmas? I think I'd take the Christmas snowfall. Doesn't happen as often as a big storm and, growing up in the north, there's something magical about snow at Christmas in my mind. Obviously neither of these outcomes are likely at this point, but fun to think about! 

Bingo. to many youngsters who think nyc averages 50 inches of snow every year. Coast has been very spoiled these last 10 or so years. i dont get the beating they gave oldyanks fan guy, he is one of the better posters in those threads

NYC has had an epic run for over 14 years.

It's not a small sample anymore either and might be more of the normal, in this new climate.

Parts of LI have averaged over 40" and NYC over 32".

One can argue that the period of the 1970s and 1980s were far from the normal and in 15 years, I believe the new 30yr normal for NYC will be near or over 30".

Go elsewhere AG3, nobody here cares about what run NYC might have had

Oh, is that what I think?  

I find all weather interesting and the run the NYC has is interesting and doesn't bother me since none of us control it anyway, it is what it is.  I'm not one to pick up my toys and go home if I don't get the biggest whatever out of a storm.  Again, it is what it is.  I do have an issue with people focusing strictly on their backyard, inaccurate weather reporting, and just looking at what one wants to see when it comes to weather reports, records, the models, etc.  I'm not accusing you specifically of this, just stating my opinion in general.

I don't think 14 yrs is a big enough sample to start flinging around the term "the new normal". In 12 yrs I have averaged 58" which is roughly 5-7" above my long term norm. Highly doubt that continues and I def won't consider it my new normal..

It's half way to the 30yr average that is used.

NYC already went up about 2" since the last adjustment.

In 2030, the 30yr average would be from 2000-2030.

Cause you do realize it isn't just NYC that has been abnormally snowy the past 10-15 yrs. Its pretty much anyone from MD, NJ, E NY, & NE.

Disagree. I think the 1970s and 80s were abnormally less snowy and the true NYC average is about 30" of snow, with parts of the boroughs 31"-33."

I hope we can talk about this same subject in 2030, when the new climate average is likely over 30" a year.

Disagree. I think the 1970s and 80s were abnormally less snowy and the true NYC average is about 30" of snow, with parts of the boroughs 31"-33."

I hope we can talk about this same subject in 2030, when the new climate average is likely over 30" a year.

You disagree with it being snowy in other places other than NYC since the yr 2000? 

I just wish there was an official snowfall average map out there for our region. There was one very detailed map yrs ago but it was more focused on the applachian trail. Uptons snowfall map is a little underdone for everyone including NYC/LI .

But wouldn't Uptons be considered an official one?  It is from the NWS.

Well this board escalated quickly...I think people are folding their cards way too early on the upcoming Storm, on both sides, I think the model concesnsus and trends are not favourable for the storm we want, but on the flip side I certainly wouldn't rule it out like other folks... We've seen plenty of storms fall short a day or so before and we've also seen plenty of storms come together to our surprise, hence why I've stopped posting in those God awful storm threads lol

Technically he does as nw jersey is made up of Sussex,warren , Morris and hunterdon counties . And his climate is certainly different than NYC. Only thing he's missing is elevation

He averages about 35-38"

NYC averages 28"-30".

Not much different at all.

Archived