Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hah, agreed. I don't want to see anybody get the shaft, but these overarching pattern change forecasts have been dubious at best. It doesn't take much for an I-95 special to become a continental shelf special, anyway...

If we are talking an all snow event for the immediate coast then we will get fringed. If its sn/ra or all ra for the coast chances are its an all snow event for us. Someone is gonna get the shaft 

Just because the overall pattern might favor a more offshore track doesn't mean the storm track will end up that way.

Personally I think you're just attempting to troll the interior folks.

This is what I posted somewhere else and the response was to the point of I hope this keeps up all winter .

I like the look of this current system . There are multiple SWs in the flow and the speed between the 2 will determine how much of an easterly flow we can mitigate . However going forward I like where we end up .

A neg PNA combined with a neg EPO allows you to  run SWs underneath the higher heights in Canada as the Neg EPO makes Canada cold it forces storm tracks to its S . You end up with  Arctic waves on the EC , very similar to last Jan and Dec which should favor the coast . ( remember the vortex will pulse and openings develop on the coast ).

This is not one and done , it`s the start of a good pattern .  

This is what I posted somewhere else and the response was to the point of I hope this keeps up all winter .

I like the look of this current system . There are multiple SWs in the flow and the speed between the 2 will determine how much of an easterly flow we can mitigate . However going forward I like where we end up .

A neg PNA combined with a neg EPO allows you to  run SWs underneath the higher heights in Canada as the Neg EPO makes Canada cold it forces storm tracks to its S . You end up with  Arctic waves on the EC , very similar to last Jan and Dec which should favor the coast . ( remember the vortex will pulse and openings develop on the coast ).

This is not one and done , it`s the start of a good pattern .  

We shall see how things playout. I just don't think it's smart to make such definitive statements on December 15th about what the storm track might be like in January.

We shall see how things playout. I just don't think it's smart to make such definitive statements on December 15th about what the storm track might be like in January.

Why I said back in late Nov that the 1st 15 days of Dec would open colder than normal in the face of everyone thinking a torch was coming .

Then said on Dec 9th the pattern changes on the 20th .  ( Its all in the dec disco`s to read )

When you turn the EPO and AO neg you get Canada cold . The higher heights allow for the neg PNA systems to cut underneath and SWs get to the EC .

If they come out of the NB they are arctic waves . They cant cut so they either go out or up . And since they are arctic waves the further east one goes the snowier the system is .

Its really not hard.  No one is saying the interior doesn't do well but in that pattern the coast does better once into Jan .

This winter has 07/08 written all over it just a little further south with its gradient. The supposed 12/15 pattern change has been pushed back into Jan now. The best way to approach this is to take it day by day. 

Lol. 07-08 was a Moderate La Nina. You can't use it as an analog, or you could but would find yourself wondering why the pattern is not matching up to expectations. Maybe you are thinking of 06-07 but there are stark differences between that weak Nino and this year's.

Lol. 07-08 was a Moderate La Nina. You can't use it as an analog, or you could but would find yourself wondering why the pattern is not matching up to expectations. Maybe you are thinking of 06-07 but there are stark differences between that weak Nino and this year's.

I was strictly just comparing how the snowfall gradient had set up early on. Long way to go though

Yanksfan is taking a beating in that main thread lol... 6 days out and that thread is already garbage

IMO, you just have to sit back and watch as people start getting cranky, people get wishful, people start spiking footballs, etc.  In the end, Mother Nature is going to do whatever it wants to do and none of us can control it so just enjoy the ride, wherever it takes you. 

One thing I'm grateful for is we have nothing but realist in our sub form and very few weenies. Age may play a factor

It probably also helps that we average a good deal more snow than most of them.

As posted in the main thread, the Euro ensembles look decent. I was looking at the low positions and there is pretty tight clustering just inside or near the BM at 18z on Sunday. One thing about this fall/early winter is that we certainly haven't been short on systems to track. That theme looks to continue.

One thing about this fall/early winter is that we certainly haven't been short on systems to track. That theme looks to continue.

This is a good thing, I saw that the moderate drought area has shrunk a bit, or at least I'm no longer in the moderate area. http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/RegionalDroughtMonitor.aspx?northeast

One thing I'm grateful for is we have nothing but realist in our sub form and very few weenies. Age may play a factor

Bingo.  to many youngsters who think nyc averages 50 inches of snow every year. Coast has been very spoiled these last 10 or so years. i dont get the beating they gave oldyanks fan guy, he is one of the better posters in those threads

Archived