• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

It also helped that last yr our snowpack was the best in yrs and probably helped us achieve many sub-zero/single digit nights.

Regardless be thankful that you don't live anywhere near the coast. lol Its becoming quite clear that this winter is a lost cause for them. Maybe a 3-4 week winter down there. Believe it or not but 99% of us up here are above average with 10-18" of snowfall so far

Agreed...coastal areas are in trouble for snow. It's bad when the Hudson Valley gets low-level/on-shore "junky" snows and Long Island gets missed, or sees mostly rain. It was surprising to see the amount of locations that saw coatings locally early Sunday and Monday...though it didn't look like Middletown was one them.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went out to unplug the lights and was surprised to see a coating here last night. GFS has the inland/coastal hugger trend continuing, hope we're not too far southeast to cash in on the moderate events. Waiting to see what ECM does with the 27-28 event, looks like its a little too far NW this run but a lot is gonna depend on the pending cutter I think as far as how much cold air makes it here.

Agreed...coastal areas are in trouble for snow. It's bad when the Hudson Valley gets low-level/on-shore "junky" snows and Long Island gets missed, or sees mostly rain. It was surprising to see the amount of locations that saw coatings locally early Sunday and Monday...though it didn't look like Middletown was one them.

We had a very light coating a couple nights ago but most of the flurries look to be concentrated east of the river

How does it get use if it is slush......I know it can refrezee,but it will be a rough surface upon refreez....imo..

You can't use it if it gets slushy, which makes snow a mixed blessing for someone like me. I love it, but it insulates the ice and makes it slushy, so you have to shovel as much as possible during or just after a storm. If temperatures are cold enough, I resurface every night with hot water from my laundry room via a hose. I put down about 1/8 to 1/4" of fresh water. Last year, some of the nights were almost too cold, as even the hot water would freeze relatively quickly and lead to uneven spots on the ice. I find you get a much smoother surface when nighttime temperatures are in the teens and twenties.

You can't use it if it gets slushy, which makes snow a mixed blessing for someone like me. I love it, but it insulates the ice and makes it slushy, so you have to shovel as much as possible during or just after a storm. If temperatures are cold enough, I resurface every night with hot water from my laundry room via a hose. I put down about 1/8 to 1/4" of fresh water. Last year, some of the nights were almost too cold, as even the hot water would freeze relatively quickly and lead to uneven spots on the ice. I find you get a much smoother surface when nighttime temperatures are in the teens and twenties.

Just curious as to why you use hot water, is it because it freezes faster and thats benefical to the ice?

Just curious as to why you use hot water, is it because it freezes faster and thats benefical to the ice?

Hot water is used because it  melts the layer of ice below it somewhat,which than makes it freeze to the other ice better. It makes the ice stronger and wont chip as easily

Hot water is used because it  melts the layer of ice below it somewhat,which than makes it freeze to the other ice better. It makes the ice stronger and wont chip as easily

Exactly. It removes surface imperfections that sweeping or shoveling won't (grooves from skates), creates a stronger skating surface (picture a solid block rather than fractured segments of ice, which may happen if the water is cold and freezes rapidly when applied), and also, in my experience, a clearer surface (ie nicer to look at).

I believe there is a phenomenon where hot water freezes faster than cold water, but I don't think it pertains to resurfacing ice.

Exactly. It removes surface imperfections that sweeping or shoveling won't (grooves from skates), creates a stronger skating surface (picture a solid block rather than fractured segments of ice, which may happen if the water is cold and freezes rapidly when applied), and also, in my experience, a clearer surface (ie nicer to look at).

I believe there is a phenomenon where hot water freezes faster than cold water, but I don't think it pertains to resurfacing ice.

Of course, a total 'duh' on my part. Thanks!

Mpemba effect.

Damn, if that was snow and we were expecting 1-2 feet and got only 4-5 inches, I'd be pissed.....but then again...we'd still get a white Xmas. :)

It was actually nice not having a storm to obsess over for Christmas. Because if we were getting a 1-2 ft storm, I'd be glued to the computer screen!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to each of you. 

Good day weather fans,

High today was 51F

Low was 34 f

Current temp 45F

We will be entering the much antcipated start of winter according to all winter forecast the 1st of January.

January is predicted to be a cold and snowy month.

Stay tuned as big changes are going to be occurring :santa:

Went fishing today as a result of the spring like weather.

Best

Archived