joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

posting the Mount Holly briefing here as well since they have responsibility for North Jersey. Hope that is okay with you guys. Of particular note are the several pages related to storm surge expectations which will likely translate further north in equal heights or greater. Also of note is the MIC's personal plea that follows the surge discussion:

http://www.erh.noaa....nt_briefing.pdf

The potential for storm surge in Raritan Bay is scary...they mention 12 to 15 feet...has that ever happened?

NAM has really ramped up the 10m winds now...30-40kts sustained throughout the entire area with 40+kts sustained along the beaches

I'm sure we'll see 30-40 gusts 50...what I don't know is what we might see beyond that, I think 50-70 is very likely, anything over that probably still a stretch given the relative stability profile and low level temps. I think for sure if this was 6-8 hours earlier we'd stand a better shot seeing those 850-900 winds mix down but given the peak window arrives probably 22-03z when the sun is down it will hurt the chances somewhat.

I'm sure we'll see 30-40 gusts 50...what I don't know is what we might see beyond that, I think 50-70 is very likely, anything over that probably still a stretch given the relative stability profile and low level temps. I think for sure if this was 6-8 hours earlier we'd stand a better shot seeing those 850-900 winds mix down but given the peak window arrives probably 22-03z when the sun is down it will hurt the chances somewhat.

you've been pseudo downplaying this whole event with your tone

you've been pseudo downplaying this whole event with your tone

Nothing he has said is false however. Temps in the 50s and maximum wind potential occurring when there's the least amount of diurnal heating is going to prevent the strongest winds aloft from mixing down to the surface. The lack of relatively significant rains is also not helping the cause. At least with Irene that firehouse of precipitation mixed down some strong gusts into the 70mph range.

The flooding will be really bad the winds I think if this was 4 weeks earlier would be a catastrophe but the I think the potential low level inversion is really going to make it difficult to get anything over 60-70 mph to the surface.

I agree with you in fact the only ones going with high winds up tp 60 around philly is mt holly...seems like a big hype from the info we now have.

Nothing he has said is false however. Temps in the 50s and maximum wind potential occurring when there's the least amount of diurnal heating is going to prevent the strongest winds aloft from mixing down to the surface. The lack of relatively significant rains is also not helping the cause. At least with Irene that firehouse of precipitation mixed down some strong gusts into the 70mph range.

I would presume almost all areas gust higher than irene. It was pretty meh in terms of wind away from immediate coast.

Here's a frightening forecast for the waters just offshore from NYC/N NJ:

THIS AFTERNOON

N TO NE WINDS 30 TO 40 KT INCREASING TO 40 TO

50 KT LATE. SEAS 12 TO 19 FT BUILDING TO 17 TO 26 FT...HIGHEST

S. RAIN WITH VSBY OCCASIONALLY LESS THAN 1 NM.

TONIGHT

N TO NE WINDS INCREASING TO 45 TO 60 KT. SEAS

BUILDING TO 22 TO 34 FT. RAIN WITH VSBY OCCASIONALLY LESS THAN 1

NM.

MON

N WINDS INCREASING TO 50 TO 70 KT. SEAS 26 TO 38 FT. RAIN

WITH VSBY OCCASIONALLY LESS THAN 1 NM.

MON NIGHT

WINDS SHIFTING TO S TO SW 50 TO 70 KT...THEN

DIMINISHING TO 45 TO 55 KT LATE. SEAS SUBSIDING TO 16 TO 26 FT.

SCATTERED SHOWERS WITH VSBY IMPROVING.

The flooding will be really bad the winds I think if this was 4 weeks earlier would be a catastrophe but the I think the potential low level inversion is really going to make it difficult to get anything over 60-70 mph to the surface.

I'm thinking 80-90 mph gusts on the coast are a decent possibility. Inland where friction will play a role would be less than that. The waters are warmer than normal, and we can certainly get big wind events during the winter-Dec 1992 I believe gusted well over 70 mph in places, and then of course there was the March 2010 storm. I think sustained winds will be hard to break 60-65 mph anywhere.

The much bigger story of course will be the surge flooding, and anywhere where winds like that are possible, the water will trump that by 1000. The water already got more than halfway up the beach at this AM's high tide here.

Archived