SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man is it pouring out and the wind is impressive with this little squall line.

It rained a lot more than I expected today, it will be interesting to see area 24 hour totals in the morning.

Yeah, last night around that time, E and I suddenly heard this racket that made us think we’d had a flood upstairs that was dripping vigorously and about to blast through the ceiling. It wound up being some combination of large drops of wind-driven rain hitting the house. Anyway, I found 0.39” in the bucket this morning, with partly cloudy skies, light rain/mist ongoing, and a temperature of 41 F here at 495’. It was actually somewhat clear off to the east, so with the clouds raking overhead and darkening the sky along the spine and to the west, it had that feel of upslope precipitation. I expected our valley temperature to translate to something sub-freezing up at 4,000’, and indeed the Mt. Mansfield ridgeline thermometer was reading 30 F. With that temperature, and precipitation ongoing, I’d expect we could be looking at round two of snow this morning in the higher terrain. I’m sure you’ll update us on what you find, can’t wait to hear about it.

I added a radar grab below; the precipitation is dying down near the end, but you can see some cool streamers heading eastward from Lake Champlain toward the mountains:

11OCT12A.gif

Looks like another chance for elevation snow tonight with gusty winds, and if any upslope is going on tomorrow morning we may see flakes in town too. Then a hard freeze with teens and twenties on Saturday morning:

Short term /6 PM this evening through Saturday/... as of 505 am EDT Thursday...the threat for rain showers will increase over the slv evening...spreading eastward overnight as the quick moving clipper system impacts our County Warning Area. Temperatures will cool to the middle 20s to middle 30s in the high terrain...resulting in a mix of rain and snow showers. Limited moisture with this system will produce a quarter inch or less quantitative precipitation forecast across the north country. A dusting to an inch of snow will be possible above 2500 feet by Friday morning. Low level jet will also accompany this system...producing gusty winds overnight as 925mb jet increases to 30-40 kts. High terrain will feel the brunt of these winds. But in the valleys...precipitation will limit mixing so gusty winds wont be as strong. Early Friday morning will see some lingering showers with some weak lake moisture producing some light rain/snow showers off Lake Champlain in the westerly flow immediately behind the clipper. Winds will shift northwest by mid-morning...cutting off any chance for lake showers and ushering in cooler air. 850mb temperatures will cool to -6c to -8c during the day...with 925mb temperatures dropping into the negative single digits. Maximum temperatures will be about 5 degrees cooler than today. High pressure will build in from the western Great Lakes region...continuing northwest flow into Friday night. 850mb temperatures will cool to about -8c across the north country...with high air overhead and light winds making for ideal radiational cooling. Widespread frost is expected Friday night as temperatures drop below freezing across the northeast and into the teens in the high terrain. This would result in a hard freeze...ending the growing season across the Champlain Valley.

WWUS71 KGYX 111904

NPWGYX

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

304 PM EDT THU OCT 11 2012

...MUCH COLDER WEATHER EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT...

.THE COLDEST AIR OF THE SEASON WILL ARRIVE IN NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND

ON FRIDAY. BY FRIDAY NIGHT TEMPERATURES WILL BE DROPPING TO NEAR

OR BELOW FREEZING FOR ALL OF MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE.

MEZ012-018>028-NHZ004>010-013-014-120315-

/O.NEW.KGYX.FZ.A.0001.121013T0200Z-121013T1400Z/

SOUTHERN OXFORD-INTERIOR YORK-INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-

KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO-COASTAL YORK-COASTAL CUMBERLAND-SAGADAHOC-

LINCOLN-KNOX-COASTAL WALDO-NORTHERN CARROLL-SOUTHERN GRAFTON-

SOUTHERN CARROLL-SULLIVAN-MERRIMACK-BELKNAP-STRAFFORD-

INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM-COASTAL ROCKINGHAM-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RUMFORD...NORWAY...FRYEBURG...OXFORD...

SANFORD...BERWICK...NORTH WINDHAM...GORHAM...BRIDGTON...

LEWISTON-AUBURN...LIVERMORE FALLS...AUGUSTA...WATERVILLE...

WINTERPORT...UNITY...BIDDEFORD...SACO...OLD ORCHARD BEACH...

KITTERY...PORTLAND...SOUTH PORTLAND...WESTBROOK...BATH...

TOPSHAM...BOOTHBAY HARBOR...WISCASSET...WALDOBORO...CAMDEN...

ROCKLAND...THOMASTON...BELFAST...LINCOLNVILLE...NORTH CONWAY...

LEBANON...HANOVER...PLYMOUTH...WOLFEBORO...OSSIPEE...CLAREMONT...

NEWPORT...CHARLESTOWN...CONCORD...HOOKSETT...LACONIA...MEREDITH...

ROCHESTER...DOVER...SALEM...DERRY...EXETER...PORTSMOUTH...HAMPTON

304 PM EDT THU OCT 11 2012

...FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY

MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A FREEZE WATCH...

WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...FALLING BELOW FREEZING WITH LOWS RANGING FROM 25

TO 32.

* TIMING...TEMPERATURES MAY FALL BELOW FREEZING AS EARLY AS 10 PM

AND MAY NOT RISE ABOVE FREEZING AGAIN UNTIL 10 AM.

* IMPACTS...VULNERABLE OUTDOOR PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF NOT

PROTECTED. THOSE WITH PLANTS OR ACTIVITIES THAT COULD BE

NEGATIVELY IMPACTED BY FREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL NEED TO TAKE

ACTION TO MINIMIZE THE IMPACT OF THE COLD TEMPERATURES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WATCH MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE POSSIBLE.

THESE CONDITIONS COULD KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

&&

$$

AWT

Yeah we had a brief grauple shower and even a few wet flakes mixed in...and that was down at under 1,000ft in town.

So I can definitely see how the NEK had some as well.

Yeah one of my fellow firefighters posted on facebook this morning saying he saw snow falling with a few passing showers. Stinks we are on school vaca cause it would be nice to have seen it...

Archived