• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Sitting in a McD's in Gotham, NH after a hike/leaf peeping excursion. Here's a few pics from the Crawford Notch area. Above the notch on 302 it looks very much like Powderfreak's Fruity Pebbles. It's peak time for foliage in the Whites - this is the weekend to take a drive around up here.

post-254-0-40758500-1349375631_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-79570400-1349375690_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-53760400-1349375743_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to head home through Pinkham Notch - hopefully the fog and drizzle hold off.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was another wet day... and now the sun is out for the first time in what feels like a very long time.

Here's yesterday's QPF amounts... here in Stowe the village CoCoRAHS had only 0.3" while the western side of the mountains had 1"+. J.Spin in the middle came in with 0.6".

Rainfall amounts have gone through the roof after a dry summer...

Since September 1st (the three local CoCoRAHS I monitor due to reliability and grasping local climate):

Stowe Village 0.2 SW (East of Spine)... 6.26".... for the calendar year: 31.49"

Underhill 4.4 NNE (Mansfield immediate west slope)... 8.55"... for the calendar year: 34.66"

Waterbury 3.0 NW (J.Spin on the spine axis)... 6.71".... for the calendar year: 35.96"

Here in Stowe we are usually the lesser of these three spots, but the Underhill and Waterbury spots are some of the wettest and snowiest on a regular basis. And anyone doubting J.Spin's snowfall should know he does get the most QPF in the summer or winter in this area... the mountains really do tend to favor him right under the Spine axis.

Sweet shot Allenson...I noticed the same thing this morning, the leaves are falling fast and furious. More open space in areas of the forest and yesterday I parked my car under a maple and had to use the snow brush to clean it off. I had no idea that many leaves could come down in 8 hours but I could barely see any part of the body of my car...just covered in wet yellow leaves.

LOL, or parking under an apple tree in May. No, not my Beemer (NH plates):

7167049965_5df6edcc0d.jpg

LOL, or parking under an apple tree in May. No, not my Beemer (NH plates):

LOL yeah exactly like that... but yellow.

Man we are torching up here right now. I've got full sun and my thermometer is showing 70F. I actually just moved on October 1st and am trying to find the right spot for my thermometer and so I was thinking that 70F might be a bit much, then I see that the base of the ski resort at 1,500ft is 68F right now... and 755ft in Wolcott is showing 73!

And regarding my move... I literally moved like a 1/4-1/3 mile from my previous spot, although I did lose about 30 feet of elevation. I'm more like 750ft now. And I'm still right under the "S" in "Stowe" on this temp map...

Rainfall amounts have gone through the roof after a dry summer...

Since September 1st (the three local CoCoRAHS I monitor due to reliability and grasping local climate):

Stowe Village 0.2 SW (East of Spine)... 6.26".... for the calendar year: 31.49"

Underhill 4.4 NNE (Mansfield immediate west slope)... 8.55"... for the calendar year: 34.66"

Waterbury 3.0 NW (J.Spin on the spine axis)... 6.71".... for the calendar year: 35.96"

Thanks for the update PF; I was getting all set to send along my liquid total when I started reading the email, but then I saw you’d grabbed the total for me. It’s definitely been wet – I wouldn’t mind doing a final mowing of the lawn to bag the leaves, so I hope I get a window at some point. It’s been seven days in a row now with new rain in the gauge, and it looks like it’s going to continue into the weekend. This is the type of pattern I like to see heading into the cold season though, you know that all those days of liquid would be snow, snow, and more snow, and we’d be having non-stop days of fresh turns on the slopes.

To add to your liquid data above, I’ve got BTV and MPV totals for the calendar year:

Burlington (elevation 335’, Champlain Valley well west of the spine): 27.81”

Montpelier (elevation 1,165’, North-Central Vermont, well east of the spine): 26.30”

MPV is almost 10 inches behind our location on liquid, despite the extra elevation there. I like following these stations because they’re essentially at our latitude, but well removed from the spine, so they really show the influence of the mountains and how you don’t even need elevation to get the precipitation enhancement.

I like following these stations because they’re essentially at our latitude, but well removed from the spine, so they really show the influence of the mountains and how you don’t even need elevation to get the precipitation enhancement.

Yep the key in this area is not elevation per se (doesn't hurt) but proximity to the spine. Your records prove that year in and year out and I like the period of record you are getting is proving that it's not a fluke.

I also like seeing and comparing the Stowe 0.2 records because that guy now has a few years of snowfall/liquid data...and he's proving what I always thought which was that here in the village we won't jackpot during orographic events like you or Underhill, but we don't get shut out either. But I also watch the snow depth data and we tend to do better than Underhill in depths throughout the winter. In a big upslope event where you and Underhill might get 24-30", we tend to be like 16-18". Or if your two stations get a foot, we'll have 8", stuff like that. In synoptic events, the Stowe station does better than Underhill a lot of the time due to the SE flow of a lot of systems...whereas you in-between the spine do well in all wind flows.

The thing in Stowe as I'm sure you know, is the Mountain Road gradient...from the CoCoRAHS right in the village up to the ski area is a steady increase in precip/snowfall. I bet if there was a dutiful reporter living near the Matterhorn at the base of Harlow Hill, that spot probably is more in line with your QPF and snowfall amounts.

Oh if I see it then you'll see it :)

I'm at the summit first thing Monday morning. I want to crest the top on the 4-wheeler to a dusting of white.

I knew you would be all over it, I am surprised your not camping out up there and every hour or so shine a flashlight outside to see if there are any flakes............ :D

Wow it's amazing how fast we went from ridiculous peak color to past peak now. In the last 48 hours it's like 30% of all trees have lost their leaves. There were piles of leaves in the road under the maples this morning and it's just raining leaves.

The color on the remaining trees is still very good but the neon reds are gone. The hills have that orange look you get when fall meets stick season. Leaves off the tops of the trees are gone with orange hanging on in clumps around the bottom.

The difference between Sat-Tues period earlier in the week and now is a little disheartening. Town is packed with Columbus Day weekend peepers and I really wanted the masses to witness what we had last weekend. It's still good foliage but definitely past peak. We lost the vibrant diversity of color we had 5 days ago. Absolutely no green left and as Allenson said, you can see deeper into the woods with each passing day.

Yeah I love this time of year...no green, some bare trees but still lots of color. The falling leaves on all the lawns and in the woods really make it look like autumn

There is still some green here, but mostly from oak and trees half turned. I bet away from the lake is probably even more turned. Lake can be a mini heater. The low at my parents place here was 37 so far, so I bet spots a few hundred yards away had a few frosts.

Wow it's amazing how fast we went from ridiculous peak color to past peak now. In the last 48 hours it's like 30% of all trees have lost their leaves. There were piles of leaves in the road under the maples this morning and it's just raining leaves.

The color on the remaining trees is still very good but the neon reds are gone. The hills have that orange look you get when fall meets stick season. Leaves off the tops of the trees are gone with orange hanging on in clumps around the bottom.

The difference between Sat-Tues period earlier in the week and now is a little disheartening. Town is packed with Columbus Day weekend peepers and I really wanted the masses to witness what we had last weekend. It's still good foliage but definitely past peak. We lost the vibrant diversity of color we had 5 days ago. Absolutely no green left and as Allenson said, you can see deeper into the woods with each passing day.

I was thinking the exact same thing driving back from my son's soccer game. From the time of Allenson's post until today the leaf drop has been increadible. Timing a vacation to see foliage can be such a crap shoot. I always feel bad for those tour buses you see a week of so after absolute peak. I feel like I want to tell them "No, really, it was gorgeous just before you got here!".

Anyway, I really expected the rain to have been here for soccer at 9:00 this morning. Looks like it is about to arrive now. Hopefully we get a break tomorrow for my golf outing.

Archived