Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Event totals: 4.2” Snow/0.23” L.E.

It started snowing last night around 11:00 P.M., and about an hour or so later I noticed that it was coming down at roughly an inch an hour, so I did a liquid analysis at 12:30 A.M. on the 1.5” before heading off to bed, finding 0.10” of liquid equivalent. The flakes were relatively small (1-4 mm diameter), so I was surprised at how fast the snow was able to accumulate. It seemed to be tapering off not too long after that analysis, but there was definitely a resurgence at some point last night because there was another 2.7” on the board by 6:30 A.M. It’s been partly sunny out there this morning, but continued light snow added another 0.2” to the board that will be counted in the next analysis.

Reported overnight accumulations at the Vermont ski areas thus far seem to top out close to a foot at some of the Central Vermont Ski Areas; the north to south listing of available 24-hour snowfall totals is below, with 48-hour totals that include the Thursday snowfall below that:

24-hour totals

Jay Peak: 0”

Burke: 0”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 8”

Sugarbush: 11”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: 3”

Bromley: 3”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 2”

48-hour totals

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 7”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 10”

Sugarbush: 15”

Pico: 7”

Killington: 7”

Okemo: 4”

Bromley: 3”

Stratton: 5”

Mount Snow: 3”

Details from the Waterbury observations made last night and this morning are below:

12:30 A.M.

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 28.0 F

Sky: Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

6:30 A.M.

New Snow: 2.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.13 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.8

Snow Density: 4.8% H2O

Temperature: 26.7 F

Sky: Partly Sunny/Light Snow (1-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might've gotten to partly cloudy here overnight, with any snow well to the south, and full sun since dawn. Got down around 10 this morning. Not having visited this thread, I was surprised to see GYX listing Stratham, NH having 8". The forecast for that area yest aft had 2-3" possible, but they must have gotten under the same snowpuff that dropped eek's 4.5" in an hour.

clouds never made it this far north. no snow up this way. temps have bounced quickly with the sunrise. 9F to 18F since the orange ball came over the horizon.

Did you happen to ride Jay yesterday? I saw their snow report showing 1-2" yesterday morning, and no new snow last night yet they are saying 6" in the past 48 hours. Did they get more snow than their original morning report showed?

J.Spin for the win...Green Mountain spine gives him the nod. A couple 4.0" reports to BTV but I think J.Spin's 4.2" is the highest so far.

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...

3 NW WATERBURY 4.2 630 AM 3/10 COCORAHS

3 NE WATERBURY 3.0 645 AM 3/10 COCORAHS

5 NNE WATERBURY 2.8 700 AM 3/10 COCORAHS

2 SE WAITSFIELD 2.5 700 AM 3/10 COCORAHS

WATERBURY CENTER 2.5 620 AM 3/10 TRAINED SPOTTER

5 SW MARSHFIELD 2.0 545 AM 3/10 COCORAHS

2 SW EAST CALAIS 1.2 700 AM 3/10 COCORAHS

Going to add maybe a few tenths as this cell has popped up over J.Spin's property in the I-89/Winoski Valley corridor. I really think its the mix of Spine upslope/orographic lift from any wind direction, plus convergence from the valley as air is forced through the 3,000ft walls on either side of the narrow valley. Just results in it wanting to snow over that small geographic area.

We've got the flurries and sunshine thing going now up here. I can see what looks like a more substantial snow shower down near town. But man I love the localized effects that cause J.Spin's area to snow so much more often and heavier than other areas and its only a 1-2 mile wide area.

There isn't much snow left in the fields in town... hope you mean some higher elevation spots around here. Woods still have solid cover but a lot of the fields between here and Morrisville got torched pretty good by the sun from the top, and dirt from the bottom.

Yes, up in the Cotton Brook area. My neighbor runs Stowe Snowmobile Tours and has invited us up to ride. Still plenty of snow up high in the Little River State park.

Edit to add: Still plenty of snow - for the time being.

Holy crap... did you say 4.5" in an hour earlier?

Had some good 1/2sm to even 1/4sm vis at BTV over to MPV but nothing near those snowfall rates.

Right around 2" here in Stowe village... very, very fluffy stuff. Very similar to our usual upslope high ratio snow. It almost looks chunky on the top due to the massive dendrites and the way they stack up, not smooth like needles or smaller flakes.

Indeed. Super heavy snow reverts me back to about 10 years ago and puts me in weenie mode.

LOL...Scott has me beat by a little bit, but I'll take my 2.3" and counting. The water equiv is only 0.09" so it's roughly 25:1. Scott...that reminds me of the NORLUN in Dec 07 that dropped 14" here. At least you're able to gain on me after your October disaster.

I actually remember that one and believe I got 9" from it. Seemingly everything overperformed that winter.

Wow I just saw Eek's ob. FML.

I was actually thinking about you because I saw your posts last night saying you had wanted to come up. Center Harbor seemed to stay north of the narrow little band until near the end, so they probably got maybe 2-3" in one quick burst.

Indeed. Super heavy snow reverts me back to about 10 years ago and puts me in weenie mode.

I actually remember that one and believe I got 9" from it. Seemingly everything overperformed that winter.

I was actually thinking about you because I saw your posts last night saying you had wanted to come up. Center Harbor seemed to stay north of the narrow little band until near the end, so they probably got maybe 2-3" in one quick burst.

Based on the PNS reports..seems that way. Wow, 4.5" in 1 hr. Must have been a complete white out.

Already settled/melted down to 5.5"

Greenhouse I'll probably never get to finish until April:

post-18-0-63895300-1331395944.jpg

16.5" of permasnow in my backyard now:

post-18-0-17326300-1331395984.jpg

You get a lot of shade in your backyard...it makes a world of difference. You know my yard...it was scorched to patches after Thursday. We will both have bare ground by sometime in the middle of next week. I'm hoping we dry out in time for the possible 70s this weekend.

Well then....good thing I went home to CT this weekend! Got blue-balled hard at LSC...had flurries all night with a nice goose egg for accumulations...kind of cool seeing the NW to SE trajectory of the band last night...but its all good. Considering how bad this winter was/is, ill take my 71.1" and run!

Enjoy the snow guys!

Event totals: 4.4” Snow/0.23” L.E.

The forecast didn’t call for too much snow overnight, so I thought it might be just me heading up to the mountain for a few turns this morning, but the powder turned out to be plentiful enough to get the whole family motivated. Conditions were excellent, with temperatures in the mid 20s F, no wind, and a general 5-7 inches accumulated from the Thursday/Friday/Saturday snow. It’s getting to that amazing time in the ski season where many folks start moving on to spring endeavors, so for those who are still interested in winter, things are good:

10MAR12A.jpg

Photo ops were plentiful, and we blew through 600+ exposures this morning, so I’ll have some additional snowy shots to post later. We were done around midday, and with clouds and another round of snowfall starting up, the temperature was still in the mid 20s F up in the Bolton Valley Village (~2,100’), but down here at the house (~500') it was mostly sunny with a temperature around 40 F.

Details from the 12:30 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 39.9 F

Sky: Mostly sunny

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches

Sunny areas are about melted but seems like 3-4" fell here in Center harbor. Still plenty of snow in the woods. What a weird change of scenery from KCON to here. Looks like mid winter here. Lake still frozen but there are open spots.

CON was practically bare 2 days after last week's storm. :lol:

CON was practically bare 2 days after last week's storm. :lol:

You went from maybe a half inch to three inches in about 4 miles from mile 51 to mile 55 or so on 93. I know it melted but just an educated guess based on snow coverage on trees etc. It's very refreshing to see snow OTG as far as you can see when coming down RT 3 near Harts turkey farm.

That's why the Lakes can keep their Fake Effect and PF can keep his upslope. I'm perfectly satisfied with my 10:1 SWFE thumpings. ;)

LOL yep... however I will say upslope makes for fantastic skiing and when there are no synoptic storms, it holds you over until you get a nice caking nor'easter. I think us skiers like it for the high quality of powder it provides, but you need A LOT of it to build a good snow base. I'll take a little (or a lot) of both though to keep me satisfied, lol. The upslope did help ease the pain of this winter a lot, but I think I've had 90-100" so far this season and probably have the same snow cover as your area as it melts quickly. We did have a nice run of solid snow cover since before Christmas though... this is the first time I've seen any grassy areas around town in months.

Archived