joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a slushy 1/2" at the house last night. It looked nice this morning--some fresh white, in the trees, covering the ice etc. Our snowpack is hanging tough at 6-8" overall but it doesn't take much of a drop in elevation to loose the solid cover pretty quickly.

Still, it's amazing that in a year like this, I can put my bushwhack skis on at my front door and ski for miles. True story. Here's a shot from at the house a couple days ago. It hasn't changed much here since then other than the fresh slushting last night:

6876393247_89eba1c9db_z.jpg

I'll be in the kayak by Tax day.

The Connecticut River, which had been iced over, opened up this week. I drive up and down the river quite a bit and was starting to get the itch to toss the ol' canoe in. There're icebergs floating around--something to dodge.

35 and dz when I left home at 6:45, 0.02" and not even any slush. Saw some fat slushflakes splatting as I drove in to Belgrade Village. Looks to be nice and cool by Presidents' Day, then back to 30s-40s for some midweek RA. Figures...

After reading about western CT getting a bit of white grass-cover yest afternoon, seems odd Maine can't get snow in the cool of the night.

The Connecticut River, which had been iced over, opened up this week. I drive up and down the river quite a bit and was starting to get the itch to toss the ol' canoe in. There're icebergs floating around--something to dodge.

Much of Sebago is open - I could lace up the skates, make a figure 8 or two and then plop into the kayak and make a lap. Crappy winter biathlon.

Is 5.1" really going to be my largest snowfall in met winter? :axe:

Much of Sebago is open - I could lace up the skates, make a figure 8 or two and then plop into the kayak and make a lap. Crappy winter biathlon.

Is 5.1" really going to be my largest snowfall in met winter? :axe:

Crazy that Sebago is open, or mostly.

A couple years ago in April I did a ski in the morning and a paddle in the afternoon. Not too shabbeh.

Our bigest snowfall this season was the day before Thanksgiving at an even 10"...and I was in Connecticut and missed it. :whistle:

We had a coating of snow overnight. Nothing down at Newfound Lake level but heading to Plymouth noticed the Mayhew Turnpike had been plowed at the high point between our town and Plymouth.

Nice spring afternoon out there (41.7F will probably be the high) as we continue to slowly melt the snow on the south facing slopes. Most level areas and north facing slopes are still snow covered. My pond is getting very low!

post-268-0-59980900-1329504185.jpg

The BTV NWS discussion mentions that there will be a west northwesterly upper level flow in place with changes for snow showers through much of the weekend, but it’s hard to get specifics on the timing of snowfall beyond that. Anyway, over the past hour or so I’ve seen the clouds build in, tendrils of snow start to form along the western slopes, and now most of Mansfield has disappeared as it’s become buried behind a veil of snow. We’ve even got flakes here in Burlington, so I wasn’t surprised to see precipitation moving through the area on radar. I added some recent frames below:

17FEB12A.gif

Sun popped out in AUG an hour ago and bumped the temp into the low 40s. Snowcover down to 25% of the lawn area, and what's left is 2" or less.

Today's bit of rain will perhaps equal the 0.04" I recorded on 2/1. Driest Feb IMBY is a modest 1.99" and I'd estimate a 98% chance it's broken this year (which isn't going far out on the limb, I know.) Driest for any month since I moved to Maine in Jan 1973 is 0.30" in Feb 1987 (in Gardiner), and I think we've got a serious shot at sliding under that one, too. I certainly can't see this month ending like Feb 2010, when 23 days with only a trace were followed by 3.8" qpf on 24-28.

You never know what you will see on the mountain...

This thing came within like 20-30 feet of me in the woods. It was touch and go there for a little bit as it was a lot bigger than it looked from a distance.

This snowboard has no idea whats about to run past him...

It ran through the base area, past the FourRunner Quad and then over to Lower Lord trail where it just chilled for a while.

This thing came within like 20-30 feet of me in the woods. It was touch and go there for a little bit as it was a lot bigger than it looked from a distance.

It ran through the base area, past the FourRunner Quad and then over to Lower Lord trail where it just chilled for a while.

They can cause a lot of havoc, Lot of people die on the ME pike when they hit one, Springtime is when they are more out and about, But this winter between the moose and the deer, They are having it easy..

This thing came within like 20-30 feet of me in the woods.  It was touch and go there for a little bit as it was a lot bigger than it looked from a distance.

awesome,man that would suck hitting him at full speed on a crossover, he needs relocating

So, as of tonight, I have gotten word that my application has been accepted for review for brand new upperclassman student housing across the street from the burke mtn base lodge. Building commences in April and myself and 5 other met majors have first priority if everything goes right!

The site is at 1,200ft (with up to 1,600ft within a half mile walking distance up Mountain Rd) and would be sweet for us to take official measurements over there as opposed to at 1,000-1,100ft at LSC due LSC's relative Passumpsic Valley location, not to mention they get an extra 20-30" there per yr as opposed to LSC. If we move in, we have the MADIS station at 1160ft in East Burke on the road we would live on, but it updates every hour so we plan on bringing up a decent wx station for our own temp measurements only. We also will be setting up a snow stake and snow board if all goes right...hopefully it does, its a great opportunity!

PS- It'll be interesting to see if my measurements coincide with Burke's measurements at the base. It'll keep them in check ;)

It is snowing down here in town this morning... car is all dusted up. Looks like around 1" new here in town. Massive dendrites getting ripped out of the atmosphere. It should be snowing pretty decently up at the mountain.

The Green Mountain Spine.... what can you say? Surprise snowfall for President's Weekend... show all the tourists the magic of the Greens.

Snowfall has tapered off up here... have around 1.5" in the base area right now, waiting for the next pulse. Groomers are reporting 2, maybe a bit more up high. I'll call it 1-2" on the early report until I have a chance to get up and verify if anything more fell at the 3,000ft snow board.

However, J.Spin is getting crushed right now on these past couple radar scans. That 28-30dbz stuff is usually 1"/hr or greater in these situations.

Just sitting there over J.Spin just east of the actual spine (county line) and in the Winnoski Valley/I-89 corridor.. I'll be curious to see what he has when he wakes up. Probably closer to 2" than the 1" we had up here in town.

BTV now updated to "Snow Likely" with 1-3" of accumulation. They love the 5am spotter reports from town and the mountain, haha.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 547 AM EST SATURDAY...ISSUED UPDATE TO ACCT FOR SNOWFALL

SHOWING UP ON LCL RADAR THAT IS CURRENTLY "LIGHTING" UP THE

WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MTNS FROM WASINGTON CTY NORTHWARD.

PREVIOUS FORECAST HAD A DUSTING TO AN INCH MENTIONED THERE AND WE

HAVE A SPOTTER REPORT IN LAMOILLE CTY THAT ALREADY MATCHES THAT.

W/ WNW FLOW PACKING UP AGAINST THIS AREA...HAVE UPDATED TO INCLUDE

1-2" ADDITONAL SNOWFALL POTENTIAL. THIS AREA OF PRECIP WILL TAPER

OFF AS THE MORNING PROGRESSES. REST OF FORECAST IN GD SHAPE.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.09” L.E.

We picked up 0.3” of snow overnight, which is the first snow down here associated with this event; temperatures have presumably now gotten cold enough to get snow to most of the lower mountain valleys. I’ve updated the north to south list of storm snowfall for the Vermont ski areas below using 48-hour snow totals. It looks like a decent little storm for the Stowe through Sugarbush area:

Jay Peak: 2”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 5”

Sugarbush: 5”

Middlebury: 3”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 1”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 4”

PF – you probably know, but one of your moose pictures is being cycled on the Ski Vermont website, so that’s pretty cool.

Some details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 32.0 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches

However, J.Spin is getting crushed right now on these past couple radar scans. That 28-30dbz stuff is usually 1"/hr or greater in these situations.

Just sitting there over J.Spin just east of the actual spine (county line) and in the Winnoski Valley/I-89 corridor.. I'll be curious to see what he has when he wakes up. Probably closer to 2" than the 1" we had up here in town.

Interesting PF, just 0.3” here on the board; never would have known that things were so intense if I hadn’t seen your posts and radar images – I think that yellow spot of 28 db echoes must have just missed us to the east. We’ve got a new coating though, and I’m liking the storm totals that the Stowe through Sugarbush stretch has put up so far for this event (see my location/ski area report above); great to have that boost for the weekend.

PF – you probably know, but one of your moose pictures is being cycled on the Ski Vermont website, so that’s pretty cool.

Some details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

I actually did not! Thanks for sharing that, J.Spin. Several of my shots are on the skivermont.com homepage. I'm glad; anything to raise tourism in the state. I also heard some of those photos showed up somewhere on one of the Burlington news stations.

I'm surprised you didn't have more snow than that from looking at the radar... oh well. The skiing today is phenomenal (really it is) with several inches over the past 36-48 hours. The glades have come back to life, as have the natural snow trails, and the groomers are true packed powder.

Really amazing just how much 2-4" does to the surface condtions... and its not our usual upslope fluff. This stuff was light powder, but not dust like it sometimes is. Yesterday's snow was dense and today's is a bit lighter but still you can feel the snow when you ski through it. Good durability which is what we need right now.

I have been blown away by how different this winter has been between the east side and west side of the Green Mountain Spine.

Take Mount Mansfield for an example... the east side has solid snow depths of 18" at 1,500ft on up to 48" at 3,700ft. Down in the town of Stowe, at 800ft there's full coverage and been like that for almost 2 months.

Then the western side is occupied by the town of Underhill. Even at 1,000ft and above, they have brown woods and only spotty snow coverage. We are skiing in the woods from top-to-bottom on the eastern side, while the western side I've heard is only skiable from like 2,000ft or higher. Incredible.

This cam is from 1,000ft or above (as far as I know) and literally only a couple miles as the crow flies from this side... but the difference is shocking.

Archived