joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! I haven't posted in this thread in a very long time, but I do peek in here on a fairly regular basis. I live in Norwood MA but I pretty much spend every weekend either skiing or hiking in the mountains of northern New England, and the reports you guys provide are extremely helpful in terms of knowing what to expect! You guys really do a fantastic job.

I'm currently working on hiking all of New Hampshire's 4,000-footers in the winter. I've summited all 48 at different times of the year, but now I'm trying to nail each one exclusively during the winter season. Yesterday I attempted to hike Mount Monroe and Mount Eisenhower, but got turned around at Lake of the Clouds Hut due to extremely poor visibility and deep snow drifts that made it next to impossible to find/follow the trail.

At any rate, I thought I'd share this picture with you. This is the Lake of the Clouds Hut which is at an elevation of 5050' in the col between Mount Washington and Mount Monroe. I was blown away by the amount of snow up there, considering the kind of winter it has been...

post-619-0-47936500-1329768561.jpg

Hey everyone! I haven't posted in this thread in a very long time, but I do peek in here on a fairly regular basis. I live in Norwood MA but I pretty much spend every weekend either skiing or hiking in the mountains of northern New England, and the reports you guys provide are extremely helpful in terms of knowing what to expect! You guys really do a fantastic job.

I'm currently working on hiking all of New Hampshire's 4,000-footers in the winter. I've summited all 48 at different times of the year, but now I'm trying to nail each one exclusively during the winter season. Yesterday I attempted to hike Mount Monroe and Mount Eisenhower, but got turned around at Lake of the Clouds Hut due to extremely poor visibility and deep snow drifts that made it next to impossible to find/follow the trail.

At any rate, I thought I'd share this picture with you. This is the Lake of the Clouds Hut which is at an elevation of 5050' in the col between Mount Washington and Mount Monroe. I was blown away by the amount of snow up there, considering the kind of winter it has been...

post-619-0-47936500-1329768561.jpg

Thats quite an impressive feat!! As a climber myself, i must say that I only tried to summit the rockpile once in winter and was turned away as well! I never tried it a second time and stick to summer and fall treks! I an see the tops of all those peaks from my deck looking south-east, and even through my telescope at 28 miles away, I had no idea how much snow was up there!! Great pics,.. I would love to see more if you would share them with us! Do you post on the MW web site?? Id love to see your ollection of pics!!

Beautiful morning here in northern VT... the view from BTV towards Mansfield's western side. I just watched the eastern side turn pink and red with alpenglow from the office here while drinking coffee. Nice to stand outside in the dead calm with steam rising out of a mug, watching the mountain turn all sorts of colors... and then to think we get paid for this.

Well, at least a couple chilly mornings lately--had a 9F yesterday and an 8F this morning.

Actually went for a backcountry ski on Sunday. It was a little crusty but surprisingly not too bad. The state of the snow here in the Corinth hills....not deep but durable as all hell:

6917973205_dfc2af88d4_z.jpg

Beautiful this morning with some nice hoarfrost in the trees:

6917975311_d849f2b1a5_z.jpg

Haven't been paying much attention to snow chances late but I just checked the zone forecast and it has snow in my forecast tonight, up to an inch overnight. Then light accumulation possible Thursday night, kind of nice to see in the forecast even though much might not come of it. Probably will end up only being 2 more T's added to the 6 or 7 here this month but at least there's a chance.

38.5 and with the wind it actually feels cold, this winter has definitely altered the perception of what is cold.

Mod to heavy snow 1/4" past 15 min 29.2F Just drove to Boston and back and got home just as the first flakes fell. Really was not paying attention, Lucky I got home just in time I bet 93 is a mess without any salt from prev storms!

its nice to see snow falling isn't it? I hadn't been paying attention lately either. A little less here about .2 on spots of driveway that don't get much sun and the lawn. Crazy just how bad this years been that im excited for a fifth of an inch. So I guess this null and voids the chance of a snowness feb. Not really a stat I was looking to put in the records anyways.

Archived