Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

I'm going skiing either SR or SL

I just know a slew of people who fit the above description heading up. With thin ice on the lakes, it's going to make for an ugly weekend.

If we do get this snow and its anywhere near a foot then Brackett Basin will be going off for the first time this year. The hell with snowmobiles through the ice, there will be so many rescues out in Brackett it will be crazy. I will lay down money right now that at least a few dumba$$es will be lost out there overnight. It always happens first storm. Come up to Sugarloaf and see why its the place to be in this type of storm where elevation counts huge. Let me know if youre up. I'll buy you a beer or six at the Rack. Goes for anyone on the board. :drunk:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we do get this snow and its anywhere near a foot then Brackett Basin will be going off for the first time this year. The hell with snowmobiles through the ice, there will be so many rescues out in Brackett it will be crazy. I will lay down money right now that at least a few dumba$$es will be lost out there overnight. It always happens first storm. Come up to Sugarloaf and see why its the place to be in this type of storm where elevation counts huge. Let me know if youre up. I'll buy you a beer or six at the Rack. Goes for anyone on the board. :drunk:

never even knew bracket basin existed but am really intrigued now

http://www.sugarloaf.com/TheMountain/brackett_basin.html

Have you guys been skiing the trees at all this year over there? Mansfield backcountry will be going off.

High today was 53.5 warm enough and sunny enough that even up here I have a couple iris bulbs showing some shoots popping through the mulch. Think this thread has run its course as it doesn't look or feel much like the heart of winter. Not that it really showed many signs to begin with.

Just went to go check the small pond I have in my back yard to see how much the ice went down today and it is more than half open water, probably going to be an early mosquito/toad and frog season in there.

Pretty happy with my snow grids, going to be tough to get much southwest of Portland and into interior Rockingham County. But there should be a pretty sharply rising gradient NW of there. Surprise, surprise, my highest totals run from southern Grafton, through northern Carroll, and through southern Oxford. Conway jackpot...

Pretty happy with my snow grids, going to be tough to get much southwest of Portland and into interior Rockingham County. But there should be a pretty sharply rising gradient NW of there. Surprise, surprise, my highest totals run from southern Grafton, through northern Carroll, and through southern Oxford. Conway jackpot...

Did you guys put a map out, or are you talking zone/point and click grids? I see the zone has changed to moderate snow accum possible for Rockingham county. Probably a little early for a map maybe tomorrow or after 0z runs tonight.

Did you guys put a map out, or are you talking zone/point and click grids?

We've got the internal maps right now. When a headline goes up (and I'm pretty confident one will) it will get posted to the website.

The zones have some nice wording though. Got more than a few "heavy snow accumulations" phrases to pop up there. Got a "moderate" for Portland, though I'm not sure why. I only have about 2.5" there.

We've got the internal maps right now. When a headline goes up (and I'm pretty confident one will) it will get posted to the website.

The zones have some nice wording though. Got more than a few "heavy snow accumulations" phrases to pop up there. Got a "moderate" for Portland, though I'm not sure why. I only have about 2.5" there.

My county (Rockingham) has moderate as well, and up to an inch in the Thu night period. Maybe this thing over performs and I get to see that pink shading that we all love, but even light blue would be fine as it's been a long time since I've even seen a WWA.

My county (Rockingham) has moderate as well, and up to an inch in the Thu night period. Maybe this thing over performs and I get to see that pink shading that we all love, but even light blue would be fine as it's been a long time since I've even seen a WWA.

Northwestern Rockingham has around 3" in my grids right now, and most of that will come before sunrise Friday I think. Wet bulbs are below zero to start, so I think most will start as snow.

Northwestern Rockingham has around 3" in my grids right now, and most of that will come before sunrise Friday I think. Wet bulbs are below zero to start, so I think most will start as snow.

That's good, better to have it start at night before any insolation occurs. Going to be a pretty decent gradient, nothing too drastic but 20 miles could make a 2-3 inch difference. I'm obviously not expecting much but at least it's going to snow.

If by some odd chance this storm happens, it'll be fun to see the increase in snow on my commute to Limington from Portland.

About an hour ago, tendrils of snow began to appear above the spine of the Greens, and now Mt. Mansfield is obscured in snow, although judging by the color of the precipitation it appears to be rain in the lower elevations. We’ve also had some light rain here in Burlington as well. I thought it was going to be starting up later this evening, but apparently this is the front end of the precipitation from the low pressure system coming out of the Ohio Valley.

If by some odd chance this storm happens, it'll be fun to see the increase in snow on my commute to Limington from Portland.

Mid to late next week? Roemer spoke about it in todays reports. The people who rely on winter for money will be so happy if it does come our way. Such a big part of Maine's economy.

As of 6:30am... its 26F and snowing at 4,000ft... 36F and mix of rain/snow at 1,500ft base area... and 38F and rain at 800ft in the village.

Precipitation hasn't been hard or steady enough to get the snow level to fully drop to the base area but its mixed light rain and large aggregates.

Sugarbush web cam looks like huge flakes falling... what's the elevation of their base area? You can see they are in the better moisture right now, I would assume we'll see snow levels drop up here once stronger echos move in.

Long moisture train all the way back into the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley.

ECM lights us up tomorrow morning especially with lowering snow levels.

Meh

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

LOW TO MODERATE CONFIDENCE EXISTS IN THE FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT

FORECAST. A GENERAL AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL APPROACH FROM THE

WEST LATE TONIGHT AND FRIDAY. HOWEVER...THE SYSTEM STILL SEEMS A

BIT DISJOINTED...WITH A LEAD SHORT WAVE TROUGH COMING THROUGH THE

AREA FRIDAY MORNING...AND POSSIBLY SHEARING OUT AS IT DOES SO. THE

WAA ASSOCIATED WITH IT SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO DELIVER A BAND OF LIGHT

TO MODERATE SNOW MOVING ACROSS THE REGION FROM SW TO NE FRIDAY

MORNING.

IT NOW LOOKS AS THOUGH THE FORCING FOR ASCENT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS

WAVE WILL WEAKEN AS IT APPROACHES AND CROSSES THE AREA FRIDAY

MORNING. THEREFORE...THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION WITH THIS WAVE IS

NOW GENERALLY EXPECTED TO FALL ACROSS SOUTHERN NY AND THE

NORTHERNMOST MID ATLANTIC. THERE STILL SHOULD BE A BURST OF DECENT

SNOW FRIDAY...ESPECIALLY IN THE MORNING ACROSS SOUTHERN ZONES AND

IN THE AFTERNOON IN THE MOUNTAIN ZONES. BASED ON THE ANALYSIS OF

ALL AVBL 00Z DATA...THE MOST LIKELY SCENARIO IS FOR AN ADVISORY-

TYPE EVENT FOR MUCH OF THE AREA ON FRIDAY...WITH A GENERAL 2 TO 5

INCH SNOWFALL EXPECTED. A FEW SPOTS IN THE WHITE MOUNTAINS WILL

PROBABLY REACH THE 4-8 INCH RANGE BUT WE FEEL THAT THE SPARSE

COVERAGE OF THESE AMOUNTS PRECLUDE THE ISSUANCE OF A WATCH AT THIS

TIME.

1" at 1,500ft... groomers reporting 5-6" on the upper mountain where temps were in the upper 20s. A nice start to the next couple of days with some dense snow.

Upslope still looks good...

AS THE SECONDARY LOW TAKES OVER IN THE CANADIAN MARITIMES FRIDAY NIGHT... SURFACE WINDS WILL BECOME NORTHWEST AND BRING COLDER AIR INTO THE REGION. THIS WILL LEAD TO IDEAL CONDITIONS FOR UPSLOPE SNOWS ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS AND THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL THAT THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE ADIRONDACKS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS COULD SEE AROUND A FOOT OF SNOW BY EARLY SATURDAY EVENING. SINCE THIS WILL OCCUR DURING THE 4TH AND 5TH PERIODS OF THE FORECAST...HAVE NOT PUT UP ANY WINTER STORM WATCHES AT THIS TIME. LATER SHIFTS WILL NEED TO MONITOR THIS POTENTIAL CLOSELY.

Archived