SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having a hard time comprehending the temperature trends this morning.

4,000ft... 28F

2,500ft... 33F

1,600ft... 37F was low 40s a good chunk of the night... http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KVTSTOWE3

800ft... 20F (was 17F at the time of 41F at 1,600ft based on MVL obs)

Holy inversion. What is it with these things this year? Look how cold everyone is this morning, then check out the rouge 37F readings.

Holy inversion. What is it with these things this year? Look how cold everyone is this morning, then check out the rouge 37F readings.

Definitely been a lot of that this winter is seems. 24 here this morning at 1200'...

1.5" Monday evening

1" Tuesday-Thursday

3" Friday

good snow depths on the upper mountain 12-18" I'd estimate.. starting to open up some natural terrain

flurries attm

Nice, Torch fail here today, Looks like we should start to see some more winter like chances as we start to see a shift in the pattern over the next several weeks especially here in NNE

1.5" Monday evening

1" Tuesday-Thursday

3" Friday

good snow depths on the upper mountain 12-18" I'd estimate.. starting to open up some natural terrain

flurries attm

Nice! My snow stakes and snow boards at Stowe are now a BTV Co-Op so it will be fun to compare. I just got back from WFO BTV and now have an Adirondack Snow Sampler for weighing the water in the snowpack and I'm all set up in their system now as a cooperative observer. Should be interesting to start this stuff officially now.

My 3,000ft station is at 23" today, with 8" at 1,500ft.

Glades are being skied around these parts.

Forecast calls for 1-3" tonight. The nickel and dime stuff continues. 20" at 3,000ft in the past 10 days, well now technically 11 as nothing fell today.

Nice! My snow stakes and snow boards at Stowe are now a BTV Co-Op so it will be fun to compare. I just got back from WFO BTV and now have an Adirondack Snow Sampler for weighing the water in the snowpack and I'm all set up in their system now as a cooperative observer. Should be interesting to start this stuff officially now.

Forecast calls for 1-3" tonight. The nickel and dime stuff continues. 20" at 3,000ft in the past 10 days, well now technically 11 as nothing fell today.

You are not far off your normal climo depth for Jan 7

Torch fail here too, I guess. I know PF has light rain and 39 in Stowe but we got up to 34.6 and now seem to be dropping, we even saw some breaks in the clouds. My inch of snowpack has made it so far. Hope it plays out like CT Rain said the Euro depicts.

Yeah that was bizarre... 32F and snowing at the top, 39F and raining at the base... 30F with freezing rain in the village.

You are not far off your normal climo depth for Jan 7

We are gaining ground towards climo... still very much below all season. We have been spoiled lately with so many above normal years that this feels really bad. We are a foot below climo in snowpack right now but about half of average snowfall. As Will/ORH said, the Co-Op is about half of its normal-to-date.

4,000ft... 28F

2,500ft... 33F

1,600ft... 37F was low 40s a good chunk of the night... http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=KVTSTOWE3

800ft... 20F (was 17F at the time of 41F at 1,600ft based on MVL obs)

When I saw your mention of the 40s F this morning PF, I was worried that the powder from this week’s snowfall events was going to be ruined up at Bolton, but once I looked at the temperature graph from that station in the Village (~2,100’), I saw that it hovered around 35 F early this morning:

07JAN12A.jpg

That didn’t seem too bad. Once we headed out around 9:30 A.M. we found that there was a similar sort of crazy temperature profile around here today like you mentioned for Stowe – when we left the house (500’), the temperature was around freezing, but up at Bolton in the village (2,100’) it was 37 F, and then in the summit areas (3,000’+) it was below freezing. On the upper half of the mountain above 2,500’ the temperatures never seemed to reach the freezing mark, so the snow stayed really nice and powdery. Below the 2,500’ range though, the powder was getting a little thicker as the day wore on, but even that was decent. Here’s a shot of Dylan from around 11:30 A.M. today at 2,700’:

07JAN12B.jpg

At around 12:30 P.M. we started to get into some precipitation. It looked like it might be rain, but it turned out to be frozen (at least where we were at 2,100’). It seemed like sleet for a brief time, but then it gradually transitioned to all snow. It was actually snowing pretty steadily for a while, especially up around 3,000’, but since the flakes were still rather small and often granular, I wouldn’t say that there was much more than a few tenths of an inch of accumulation. It was a great day to be out though; it was extremely comfortable with temps a few degrees on either side of the freezing mark. We’re not missing the cold weather in that regard at all, although I guess we should have it a bit cooler for better snow.

This evening we picked up a couple additional tenths of an inch of snow – a lot of it was graupel balls, and that’s actually the only reason I knew it was snowing because the graupel made some noise bouncing off the windows.

Unfortunately it is raining lightly at the base area right now... 1,500ft at 39F. Ski Patrol reports it is snowing at 3,600ft at 32F. Luckily its just a light shower and nothing serious, haha.... till Wed night and Thursday.
The Euro is a dream come true for NNE. Snow and mixed precip with the Thursday storm, a Miller-B late bloomer on Friday with terrific upslope in the Greens, followed by an overperformer of a clipper on MLK day.

Yeah, it’s nice to hear about that potential – it sure looked like a decent amount of snow on the ECMWF to me, but I haven’t heard much in the way of positive comments from PF yet, so it’s hard to tell if it’s not convincing to the trained eye or if it’s appropriate professional conservatism. I’ve heard multiple comparisons to that December 27th & 28th event, and that was a big snowpack gain even down here in the valley. With the current base depths, another round of something like that would definitely put additional natural snow terrain in play and bolster the stuff that is already open.

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.07” L.E.

It’s partly cloudy out there right now, so it seemed like a good point to clear the snowboard and tally up the liquid equivalent from today. We’re still under the effects of the same Clipper that’s been traversing the area, so the above totals are for the whole event since yesterday. The accumulation on the board this evening was slushy – either due to temperatures slightly above freezing or they may have been a little liquid precipitation. Whatever the case, it consolidated the fluff on top of the snowpack down from where it was this morning.

Some details from the 10:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

The Euro is a dream come true for NNE. Snow and mixed precip with the Thursday storm, a Miller-B late bloomer on Friday with terrific upslope in the Greens, followed by an overperformer of a clipper on MLK day.

That it is. GFS isn't quite as good but there are some similarities that make me want to believe the Euro model. I'm reserving judgment until tuesday.

Well, never went above 32 her yesterday. Reached that temp and there we stubbornly stayed for an afternoon high. It cleared off for a while early last night, temps dropped back into the upper 20s, clouds rolled in after that with just a few flakes/pellets, temp jumped back to 32 and now this morning, cloudy and 29. Not bad considering the warmth that other locales saw.

True, true. The only riding right now is north of the St. Lawrence or the Gaspe. Thats why I have a trailer! :sled:

Ever been to the Gaspe? I've been wanting to go for years and have never made the trek. I've been to Quebec City and that's as close as I've come (I know, still a ways away). The Chic-Chocs have been on my list of places to visit for a long time. One of these days. Looks awesome and only a day's drive away:

tq_000822_g.jpg

little hiccup up here yesterday, we bumped up to 38, rained off and on, mostly off, until 6 then switched back over and got a flash freeze on the roads.

pretty stiff winds from the N this AM up on the hill,15F, snowing nicely, typical J, shiny surfaces to knee deep if you followed the wind, they heated up yesterday to, the surface had some firm "relief"

my good buddy is getting some emergency body work done to the plow truck this week, guaranteed big snows :)

I was surprised by the 3,000ft snow board measurement this morning... with 0.8" at the base and the groomer's report, I was expecting maybe 1.5" or so.

Instead found 2.7" and the snow depth was up to 25" from yesterday's 23".

High Road Snow Plot

ID: HRDV1

Elevation: 3,014ft

LAT: N44*32.077'

LON: W072*48.515'

24 Hour Snow: 2.7"

Snow Depth: 25"

Weather: Light Snow Showers

SRUS51 KBTV 081420

RR3BTV

.A HRDV1 120108 E DH0900/SF 2.7/SD 25/XW 85/XP 7/DC1201080920

Yep sounds like you're a little bit ahead and reaching that critical snow depth for glade skiing. One good dump here and the glades should be ready to go. I'm already skiing the marked glades with my rock skis... pretty good skiing but not quite enough to drop the line.

Thursday looks like a good base building storm here hopefully, possibly managing to stay all frozen.

We are gaining ground towards climo... still very much below all season. We have been spoiled lately with so many above normal years that this feels really bad. We are a foot below climo in snowpack right now but about half of average snowfall. As Will/ORH said, the Co-Op is about half of its normal-to-date.

Spoiled in recent years for sure. Although the latest reading is bumping the same depth at this time last year (and 2006), which we quickly recovered from.

post-6562-0-25245300-1326043803.png

Just came back from a snowmobile ride in Powderfreak territory. Luckily, most of the trails are on old roads in the state forest so it doesn't take a lot of snow to make them rideable. I think the trail gets up to around 2500' overlooking Waterbury Resevoir. Looked like about 18" at the top. Definitely could use more.

Well, never went above 32 her yesterday. Reached that temp and there we stubbornly stayed for an afternoon high. It cleared off for a while early last night, temps dropped back into the upper 20s, clouds rolled in after that with just a few flakes/pellets, temp jumped back to 32 and now this morning, cloudy and 29. Not bad considering the warmth that other locales saw.

Ever been to the Gaspe? I've been wanting to go for years and have never made the trek. I've been to Quebec City and that's as close as I've come (I know, still a ways away). The Chic-Chocs have been on my list of places to visit for a long time. One of these days. Looks awesome and only a day's drive away:

tq_000822_g.jpg

Archived