ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although OWD just mixed out to 56 after 42 last hour. So if we can pop some sunshine...(though I think that's more likely for southeastern NH).

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm actually somewhat torn, as the winter weenie in me wants to hold onto our meager snowpack while other parts wouldn't mind feeling some warm sun.

It is as good as I've ever seen it. And the amazing part is it has stuck around all day, since we're still at 27 with no sun.

Yeah that looks pretty solid... those feathers look quite large. Don't even see it that good in the mountains because there's usually wind with the freezing fog and the rime just cakes on instead of building outward.

Its the little things in weather that make things fun, just seeing that was worth this little crappy clipper like storm, haha.

I'm up to 38F now over here to the east of the Spine. Cold air finally scouring out. Roof just released so its starting to loosen up out there.

Well, back now after our internet being down for a little over 24 hours.

Picked up 2.2" here yesterday. I was surprised to see that much. Never got out of the 20s till we hit 30 early this morning with a slight glaze from some freezing drizzle. It's warmed up though finally--up to 38F now.

We've actually gained snowpack during this 'torch', lol.

Solidly wintry around here these days.

6802391101_a0232c08e5_z.jpg

January 2012 is now complete, so I’ve updated my Waterbury monthly snowfall graph for this season:

1112monthlysnowfall.jpg

Through January there’s actually an aesthetically pleasing stair step trend to the snowfall data, with a rough increase of about 10”/month. Based on my snowfall data since ‘06, both December and January average up around 40”+, so this season’s numbers are certainly below the mean, but the trend is encouraging. In fact, continuing the current increasing trend would put February up around 45”, which would be right around average for the month, and continuing the trend for 55” in March would replicate March ‘08. That would make a decent closeout to winter as we move into the spring snowfall season (while making for a very unique looking plot). That’s not to say things will go that way, but if the pattern does tend to become wintrier as we move farther into the season, perhaps monthly snowfall could gradually reach and surpass average. Continuing with average snowfall from here on out would result in a season snowfall total of ~150”, which isn’t all that bad, but we’ll just have to see what Mother Nature does for the second half of winter. Whatever happens, snowpack at the Mt. Mansfield Stake was at 45” as of yesterday’s reading, which is below average, but is certainly into that range where most off piste coverage is not an issue; thus future storms will just help to provide powder skiing, bolster the winter snow depths, and help build the snowpack for the spring. I believe I saw PF mention that snow depths at base elevation are also in good shape.

In terms of seasonal snowfall, that stands at 69.8” through the end of January, which is about 20” below average, but also about 20” ahead of ‘06-‘07. I know that this year’s snowfall trends are not the same throughout all of New England, but with all the dramatizing about how bad this winter has been, ‘06-‘07 data (very recent history) should certainly be checked before big claims are made.

Still hanging in the upper 20s, but I can see some breaks in the clouds to the south of AUG. Temps in SNE/CNE are impressive - 56 in Nashua at 3 PM, probably even warmer right now.

GYX afternoon update is predictably boring - 6 days of seasonable temps and zero precip, then a mention of the phantom low next week. Better than a torch-deluge.

Down to 35.8F after a high of 38.8F. Not much damage to the snowpack, if any at all. The driveway is still snow/ice covered.

It's amazing how different your location is from mine despite not being that far geographically...I hit 50.1F today in the Monadnocks and there is nothing remaining of the snow except for piles and isolated patches, mostly in sheltered areas.

It's amazing how different your location is from mine despite not being that far geographically...I hit 50.1F today in the Monadnocks and there is nothing remaining of the snow except for piles and isolated patches, mostly in sheltered areas.

I was thinking the same earlier, for a while today I wasn't far behind him but right before sunset it torched to 44.7 dropping back now slightly with a temp of 42.5. Still about 95% coverage here just areas that get the most sun and are sloped have been decimated. Couple areas in my yard that get zero sun but are clear enough not to have the trees collect the snow instead of it falling to the ground still have 4-5 inches(on side of my above ground pool) but open areas are down to around 2 or 2.5 inches of glaciated snow.

Temperatures were amazing today. After being in the 20's this AM we finally busted into the warm air around 1pm when I had a 10F temperature rise in an hour. High got to 47F up here on the hill. I could look down and see the cold layer below. Even at 5pm I am at 45F and Plymouth airport about 7 miles to my north and at a much lower elevation is 32F. Even Dendrite 20 miles to my south only made it to 38F.

Ground is totally snowcovered and glaciated so the snow is not going anyplace fast.

I posted this picture in another thread earlier today. It was taken around noon. You can see thetop of the cold air below me ( low clouds and lower vis)

post-268-0-93711700-1328135424.jpg

Temperatures were amazing today. After being in the 20's this AM we finally busted into the warm air around 1pm when I had a 10F temperature rise in an hour. High got to 47F up here on the hill. I could look down and see the cold layer below. Even at 5pm I am at 45F and Plymouth airport about 7 miles to my north and at a much lower elevation is 32F. Even Dendrite 20 miles to my south only made it to 38F.

Ground is totally snowcovered and glaciated so the snow is not going anyplace fast.

I posted this picture in another thread earlier today. It was taken around noon. You can see thetop of the cold air below me ( low clouds and lower vis)

You made it 2 degrees higher than I did, kind of interesting the difference between me and you with dendrite in between being the coldest. He is in an awesome spot for CAD for sure.

Great be there Sat morning with the gang.

It's been raining steadily in the village this evening at 36F so I just drove a couple miles up the road and sure enough it's dumping up by the ski resort. Snow level was around 1200ft with road snow covered above like 1300-1400ft. Full on wet snow raging at 1500ft sticking to everything.

Archived