• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 24th-26th potential winter storm part 2

Hoosier

I think you shouldn't take things too serious when such comments are made about the models. I hope all knows that despite the changes we often see in modeling that overall they are great tools. I as well think that sometimes people get caught up in the moment and thus reasoning goes out the door. Thus why you see that happen with the models suck comments etc even from the Pro's. Great discussion.

Thanks.

And I don't take it too seriously--but I do take meteorology seriouslythumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I am all for informing and clearing up myths whenever I can. I don't expect others to be as gung-ho as I am--but I like to be helpful and informational if I can.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't so much models suck this year, moreso that its taking so long to get good consensus between them. When you have so many models showing different things, it leads one to believe that they suck, even though they don't.

Good point on the data explosion. One problem is simply too much data--and some folks just can't process it all. In reality--there are key features we can track and key into. CRAS/DGEX/JMA/UK/Korean/German models etc are simply worthless. All people really need are the Euro/GFS/SREF and the global ensembles with a little NAM every now and then--and MOS too.

Good point on the data explosion. One problem is simply too much data--and some folks just can't process it all. In reality--there are key features we can track and key into. CRAS/DGEX/JMA/UK/Korean/German models etc are simply worthless. All people really need are the Euro/GFS/SREF and the global ensembles with a little NAM every now and then--and MOS too.

I think the others can be useful as well but this gets into knowing what their biases are. That's me though. I do agree with the rest of what you say though.

I think the others can be useful as well but this gets into knowing what their biases are. That's me though. I do agree with the rest of what you say though.

The CMC is one I use on occasion--but the others are just impossible to use for a lot of purposes since they typically can't even get the synoptic evolution right--and they flip-flop around too much--so it makes tracking key features challenging.

The NAM goes bombastic and breaks weenie hearts on the EC with a major rainstorm. I don't buy it--at least that ridiculous track. That will be hard to pull off.

Considering how hard they trolled us ( before you arrived ) and wishing bad outcomes on us i doubt you will find many here with a broken heart over them getting rain especially considering the winter they had last winter.

Personally i would like to see what the rest of the guidance does before jumping.

lol, even with this "nw" shift the NAM would probably still be a coastal hugger beyond 84.

ALL depends on what that northern energy does that is dropping into the lakes at the end of the run. IF it were to dig just right it could capture the whole system and keep it further west. Or it could act as a kicker and send the whole thing further east.

Considering how hard they trolled us ( before you arrived ) and wishing bad outcomes on us i doubt you will find many here with a broken heart over them getting rain especially considering the winter they had last winter.

Personally i would like to see what the rest of the guidance does before jumping.

Yeah I was kidding. I don't know what it was like before--but weather happens both ways. They had some good hits too.

Shifts much further west and it might have my attention ;)

Really struggling with how to handle tomorrow's forecast around here. NAM just went poof with all the precip.

Prob hold the course and hope for the best :)

NAM says hello west Tennessee :)

post-77-0-90902200-1295751451.gif

Image used with permission from www.wright-weather.com

Are you in IL now?

Shifts much further west and it might have my attention ;)

Really struggling with how to handle tomorrow's forecast around here. NAM just went poof with all the precip.

Prob hold the course and hope for the best :)

NAM says hello west Tennessee :)

post-77-0-90902200-1295751451.gif

Image used with permission from www.wright-weather.com

I was noticing that.

Someone between Memphis and Nashville receives 12"+ easy on this run.

I'll give up on weather entirely if that happens.

ALL depends on what that northern energy does that is dropping into the lakes at the end of the run. IF it were to dig just right it could capture the whole system and keep it further west. Or it could act as a kicker and send the whole thing further east.

If only the western/west coast ridge was further west. Oh the possibilities... :)

Archived