• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 24th-26th potential winter storm part 2

Hoosier

we have fog with 90+ % humidity right now. Maybe dry air in the upper levels?? Don't have any returns overhead yet so can't tell if some of the advancing stuff is virga

Looking at the 4hr radar loop, and this thing hasnt even begun to move east. More of a North/Northeast like it has been doing all day. Slow mover that is for sure.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well you got 300% of what you were forecasted to get last night lol

This is true. Still hoping for a quick inch before it makes it way out of here. Going through another good band right now. I just wish that it would have been snow when it had started raining at noon then we could have been around 6 or 7 inches. Oh well, maybe we can get a snow-day out of this. On to the next storm, maybe that will be the one. LOL.

This is true. Still hoping for a quick inch before it makes it way out of here. Going through another good band right now. I just wish that it would have been snow when it had started raining at noon then we could have been around 6 or 7 inches. Oh well, maybe we can get a snow-day out of this. On to the next storm, maybe that will be the one. LOL.

How old are you? EDIT: 22.. so I take it that is you in the pic?

I wish but if you are into sports that is the guy who hit the game winning shot for Murray State against Vanderbilt in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last year.

cool. Im a buckeyes fan in college. #1 and blew out #12 purdue. LOL.. so is the snow done there? Did you measure it to see what the final verdict is?

cool. Im a buckeyes fan in college. #1 and blew out #12 purdue. LOL.. so is the snow done there? Did you measure it to see what the final verdict is?

UK is my favorite team even over my own school lol. But no the snow has yet to let up, will measure when it officially leaves the area. Nice little event for the region.

UK my favorite team even over my own school lol. But no the snow has yet to let up, will measure when it officially leaves the area. Nice little event for the region.

well congrats.. I am off for a little bit. Take a pic or two and post em and your total when its done. Ill be back in an hour.

Snow just does not want to let up. Pretty much the whole county is done but a one little band that is settling right on top of me. Does look like it will be done within the next 15 mins. So I'm gonna go get a measure and take a pic or two.

Cool. Still holding out hope for some snow here.

Final and official measurement is roughly 3 inches. Measured in about 5 spots. One of my bigger snows this year. Pictures coming up.

I've got a decent band right over me but its all virga so far. But idc the storm in regards to over this way was modeled horribly. Not sure about the ec yet, but I know you, for instance, wasn't supposed to get close to 3" and it appears others will cash in somewhat too.

looks like the whiff was correctly forecasted afterall, but damn gotta admit that radar last night was ominous as hell looking, I usually don't get sucked into short range weenie hallucinations but even local mets were starting to wonder. That ull snow is pivoting to our southeast nicely. Only surprise might be charleston looks still to be heavy rain, i would have thought they changed over by now.

Also, id love to see some totals in KY....radar looked impressive there all night wow.

looks like the whiff was correctly forecasted afterall, but damn gotta admit that radar last night was ominous as hell looking, I usually don't get sucked into short range weenie hallucinations but even local mets were starting to wonder. That ull snow is pivoting to our southeast nicely. Only surprise might be charleston looks still to be heavy rain, i would have thought they changed over by now.

Also, id love to see some totals in KY....radar looked impressive there all night wow.

It is a forecast challenge faced by every met. Do high level echoes penetrate the dry air? Do a few high reflectivity echoes push through while everyone else stays dry? Trust me I have busted both ways.

It is a forecast challenge faced by every met. Do high level echoes penetrate the dry air? Do a few high reflectivity echoes push through while everyone else stays dry? Trust me I have busted both ways.

yea our local nbc met here who has been on air for 30 years in cmh....and is hardly a snowmonger.....was flipping between the model output and the radar and trying to explain why he was basically clueless on what to do.

so how much does dc get?

I think they are going to get pounded. The slantwise convective potential as well as straight up old vertical convective potential is high--and that defo band is going to be taking no prisoners. A hard changeover from rain to snow--but the snow comes hard and heavy for 3-6 hours.

Some of the higher totals from Kentucky so far.

LMK CWA

0615 AM HEAVY SNOW BIRDSEYE 38.31N 86.70W

01/26/2011 M5.0 INCH DUBOIS IN TRAINED SPOTTER

0549 AM SNOW FERDINAND 38.23N 86.86W

01/26/2011 M3.0 INCH DUBOIS IN TRAINED SPOTTER

PAH CWA

0204 AM SNOW ROCKPORT 37.88N 87.05W

01/26/2011 M4.1 INCH SPENCER IN TRAINED SPOTTER

0214 AM SNOW KELLY 36.95N 87.48W

01/26/2011 M4.6 INCH CHRISTIAN KY TRAINED SPOTTER

0215 AM SNOW OWENSBORO 37.76N 87.12W

01/26/2011 M5.1 INCH DAVIESS KY PUBLIC

cool, thnx.

those guys have had some tough heartbreak winters recently...I'm all for the KY weenies getting a good one

Agreed.

Most of Kentucky is having a very good winter, especially the eastern part of the state (i.e. Jackson 28.7" through yesterday, w/ 3-5" more to come today).

OT maybe but it pertains to this storm, but I was looking at the LWX site and they have some cool snowfall graphics. One being current snow reports integrated with Google maps and the other being the total storm snowfall forecast that has a nice mouse over feature that brings up the specific forecasts/warnings for each area.

Upper right hand corner here: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/lwx/

And for giggles I kicked it over to TWC this morning. They are in full hype mode for DC. Bringing up last year's snow blitz, etc. There are probably some people (w/ no wx knowledge) watching that think another 20"+ is coming like last winter's storms dumped in that region. :lol: Regardless, good for the DC and Mid Atlantic people.

OT maybe but it pertains to this storm, but I was looking at the LWX site and they have some cool snowfall graphics. One being current snow reports integrated with Google maps and the other being the total storm snowfall forecast that has a nice mouse over feature that brings up the specific forecasts/warnings for each area.

Upper right hand corner here: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/lwx/

And for giggles I kicked it over to TWC this morning. They are in full hype mode for DC. Bringing up last year's snow blitz, etc. There are probably some people (w/ no wx knowledge) watching that think another 20"+ is coming like last winter's storms dumped in that region. :lol: Regardless, good for the DC and Mid Atlantic people.

looking at the models, it's pretty wild hi-bust situation for anyone in the n. VA/MD region. Basically it boils down to a 4-6 hour period of explosive precip in an area that's about a 100mile diameter circle. Where and how fast that can set up on the heels of a rainstorm is the question. Talk about a nowcast wow.

Archived