Newest Member
    amirah5
January 24th-26th potential winter storm part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What u think, about 100-150 miles?

Ask the met lol. MOE? and btw remove the images from your quote :)

But comparing hour 6 of the nam and the current radar, it appears off to me. Looks 150 - 200 miles NW to me. With nothing behind it, to put the heavy band in AL like the NAM shows. so it looks off to me, but as I said I am not a met.

Seems farther west from those images

Looks like the NAM is off by about 150 miles. Per radar its nw with that band. Would need a met to chime in. I'm not the greatest at nowcasting, but it looks obvious to me that it is nw.

Just broke out google maps. And comparing where hr 6 of the nam shows the heaviest precip near Decatur, AL but current radar has it near Memphis, TN it is 191 miles nw.

Looks like the NAM is off by about 150 miles. Per radar its nw with that band. Would need a met to chime in. I'm not the greatest at nowcasting, but it looks obvious to me that it is nw.

Just broke out google maps. And comparing where hr 6 of the nam shows the heaviest precip near Decatur, AL but current radar has it near Memphis, TN it is 191 miles nw.

Did any of the models show precip that far west? Is it just a larger precip shield or is the system itself positioned differently?

Did any of the models show precip that far west? Is it just a larger precip shield or is the system itself positioned differently?

Everything looks right on the model except the piece that would effect ky etc, and that piece looks further NW. The ULL is a bit north as well.

Here was the 12z gfs at hr 6. it's off compared to radar.

gfs_pcp_006l.gif

Don't forget that image would be for 7 pm, doesn't appear things are off by that much.

i dont look at sim radar. but i see your point. Its still off though. there is precip breaking out in souther il/in and the sim radar doesnt show that. And if that is for 7pm and its 4pm now then the precip is still significantly north and will be even more so at 7pm. Also. eventhough that is a qpf map, that was 18z at hr 6, so where is AL going to get the much precip from 18z to 6hrs from now, as that qpf map shows, when the heaviest precip is no where near AL as the 6hr maps shows?

Archived