• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Jan 20-22 Threat Potential Part 2

am19psu

Yeah that was interesting, because my initial reaction when the nam finally shifted east with the qpf was "same old NAM". However, in the end it had the best idea with strengthening and I thought it had the further west track down too. The error of the nam seemed to be in expanding the qpf too far to the west over our area. I could be misinformed there though and the actual track may have been further east than the nam predicted

No I think that's accurate. It was telling when looking at one of the Meso's depiction of the precip field developing over eastern VA and MD during the late afternoon of 1/11 and seeing radar not show anything in that area that, while the SLP track might be fine, the precip was gonna be east.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 to 10 would be a more reasonable average for the northern 2/3rds of the state. There were two reports of slightly more than 12" but OKX threw them out as unrealistic. The following two maps are PNS + CoCoRaHS + COOP.

I had 10 inches from that storm and received 6 Inches in a 3 hr period..

You're in Hillsborough, Somerset County? You'll notice that not a single total in your area was that high. Sure you're measuring correctly, such as away from a structure and not in a drift?

<br />The only event that dropped those sort of amounts and was that quick was the 2/2/96 event, in at 9pm and gone by 6am...you have events like 12/5/03 of course were 6-8 fell in about a 7 hour period that morning and afternoon but this past storm and 2/2/96 were impressive in that without really producing widespread 2-3 inch per hour rates outside of the SW CT megaband they dropped many double digit totals in less than 10 hours.  Exactly why one should always consider storm length and speed when forecasting, not many events in this area which last less than 12 hours will not produce amounts that big unless you see sustained 2-3 inch per hours rates at some point.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You were reading my mind as I was just about to post this.2/2/96 also had a biter arctic air mass come in as well after the storm

Last weeks storm reminded me of the 1/20-21/01 storm with the upper level vort intensifying the snowfall as it came across EPA NNJ

You were reading my mind as I was just about to post this.2/2/96 also had a biter arctic air mass come in as well after the storm

Last weeks storm reminded me of the 1/20-21/01 storm with the upper level vort intensifying the snowfall as it came across EPA NNJ

Synoptically that system was VERY different. Not much of a surface low at all... and definitely no bomb (assuming this does bomb)

You're in Hillsborough, Somerset County? You'll notice that not a single total in your area was that high. Sure you're measuring correctly, such as away from a structure and not in a drift?

Yup, I saw The "OFFICIAL Measurement was 8.5 but Where I was I measured 9.8 Officially..I remember I measured almost 4 Inches at 11 Pm at Remeasured at 2:30 am and had over 9"

No I think that's accurate. It was telling when looking at one of the Meso's depiction of the precip field developing over eastern VA and MD during the late afternoon of 1/11 and seeing radar not show anything in that area that, while the SLP track might be fine, the precip was gonna be east.

Cool. I think we have reason to be concerned when the nam (even if its beyond 60 hrs) and some other meso models are ringing the rapid cyclogenesis bell for this event in this winter. Time will tell. I brought this up in a thread last night, but 2/3-5/95 is a really nice analog for this event. Granted, it's a more amped version then the models currently show for Friday's storm.

Cool. I think we have reason to be concerned when the nam (even if its beyond 60 hrs) and some other meso models are ringing the rapid cyclogenesis bell for this event in this winter. Time will tell. I brought this up in a thread last night, but 2/3-5/95 is a really nice analog for this event. Granted, it's a more amped version then the models currently show for Friday's storm.

When is the NAO supposed to go negative again so that we can actually get an event that lasts 18-24 hours or so? The one we might get next week?

<br />Cool. I think we have reason to be concerned when the nam (even if its beyond 60 hrs) and some other meso models are ringing the rapid cyclogenesis bell for this event in this winter. Time will tell. I brought this up in a thread last night, but 2/3-5/95 is a really nice analog for this event. Granted, it's a more amped version then the models currently show for Friday's storm.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

2/3-4/95 I had 11 inches with loud thundersnow before a change to rain then bitter cold in the upper teens the next day and the single digits for lows at night.

<br /><br /><br />

2/3-4/95 I had 11 inches with loud thundersnow before a change to rain then bitter cold in the upper teens the next day and the single digits for lows at night.

That storm screwed me on LI...I think I got 7 inches...some places in N Queens and N Nassau saw way more, I think they got under a heavy band since I changed over about the same time as them.

its funny how this winter is playing out...when we have the -NAO and AO we have no +PNA and vice versa...but somehow its appears like it will be cold and snowy during both periods.

They key will be to keep systems relatively weak over the next 2 weeks, if bombs form there is a threat of an inland track or at least a coastal changeover.

When is the NAO supposed to go negative again so that we can actually get an event that lasts 18-24 hours or so? The one we might get next week?

You know it is interesting and I just realized, we are actually gonna pop a nice -NAO ridge for a day or so in perfect tandum with this event on Friday. It is a transient ridge, but it is there and well placed it appears, so maybe coastal hugger track shouldnt be that huge of a concern after all.

12zGFSEnsembles500mbHeightAnomalyNA060.gif

12zGFSEnsembles500mbHeightAnomalyNA072.gif

You know it is interesting and I just realized, we are actually gonna pop a nice -NAO ridge for a day or so in perfect tandum with this event on Friday. It is a transient ridge, but it is there and well placed it appears, so maybe coastal hugger track shouldnt be that huge of a concern after all.

12zGFSEnsembles500mbHeightAnomalyNA060.gif

12zGFSEnsembles500mbHeightAnomalyNA072.gif

This event can phase quite strongly and probably stay just offshore thanks to this current storm deepening over SE Canada...if it were not for this storm I think the margin for error Friday would by much smaller as a deeper storm would be inland.

It really doesn't pay to do specific snow amounts especially when the storm is beyond the 60 hr forecast range.

It's better to just say today at this point that there is the potential for an accumulating snow and the amounts will

depend on the final track of the low.

bingo...lots of weenism in this thread, no consensus has been reached yet, there is no point in telling the public of a 4-8 inch plus snowstorm when the leading model the Euro has yet to come around to that solution. We are three days away from the event so why alarm the public too soon only to have to backtrack. I think the public is well aware that another event will be happening on Friday. The constant bashing of NWS and tv mets because mega heavy storm warnings arent issued is becoming too frequent on this board

This event can phase quite strongly and probably stay just offshore thanks to this current storm deepening over SE Canada...if it were not for this storm I think the margin for error Friday would by much smaller as a deeper storm would be inland.

Agreed. The ridge out west is a little too far west too that would allow for inland track. While we're at it, It is also pretty flat as well if were talking KU storms here, so this probably has a limit on how much it can dig somewhere around what the models are showing right now. The western ridging wasnt great either for 1/11-12 which was a reason that the mid atlantic was left out

bingo...lots of weenism in this thread, no consensus has been reached yet, there is no point in telling the public of a 4-8 inch plus snowstorm when the leading model the Euro has yet to come around to that solution. We are three days away from the event so why alarm the public too soon only to have to backtrack. I think the public is well aware that another event will be happening on Friday. The constant bashing of NWS and tv mets because mega heavy storm warnings arent issued is becoming too frequent on this board

Well I tend to agree that it's to early to say for certain if and how much snow a place will get I think it is also certain imo that the Euro is not the leading model it hasn't been perfect this winter.

This storm could be much stronger in terms of snow amounts, partly depending on how fast the amplification process takes place, and whether or not the low tucks a bit further west. Most model guidance seems to be trending towards a stronger solution, but the 00z NAM is coming out now and that could change.

Archived