• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Jan 20-22 Threat Potential Part 2

am19psu

Since when has the EC been the statistically best model this winter? It has been all over the place.

Its been putrid on QPF beyond 48 hours for sure, so even if its setup its showing now occurred the amounts would likely be higher. ...its having problems with the quick flow due to the La Nina so its timing has been off on phasing and systems ejecting out of the SW...so while it has often had the general idea of a storm its struggled on fine details.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It IS a reasonable forecast if you are trying to rely on the statistically best model, which is the EC. I agree that no amounts should be thrown around as far as the public is concerned right now... and if I made a call right now thanks to a gun pointed to my head, I would go higher (probably 3-6). Going any higher than that is unreasonable right now given the great deal of uncertainty.

it might have the best score when you do an average of height errors over the entire northern hemisphere, but it has stunk regarding individual events on the east coast this winter.

It IS a reasonable forecast if you are trying to rely on the statistically best model, which is the EC. I agree that no amounts should be thrown around as far as the public is concerned right now... and if I made a call right now thanks to a gun pointed to my head, I would go higher (probably 3-6). Going any higher than that is unreasonable right now given the great deal of uncertainty.

This. I agree with what you said completely.

With that said, using the 12z GFS verbatim it is a 3-6/2-5 event and holds a middle ground between the Euro and NAM.

I think we agree I was just saying that I thought it was prudent to blend. Given the euro you could forecast 1-3 and it could be considered reasonable but the euro also had initialization errors apparently and was discarded by the HPC. Either way it has been low on the precip amounts since the beginning, and although it has the highest verification scores we have seen this season it has seen better days.

Not a clipper...source region is Pac NW thru CO and then ENE.

Yes Thank you(making sure I am not going crazy here) , I was really given guys on here a compliment as 10 years ago I would buy whatever TV mets/Forecasters were selling in Regards to a storm now all the Info I get from places like This always seem a Day or two more accurate and up to date than what they are saying on TV..I remember on Christmas Eve telling my Mom we could get a Blizzard and she was saying well that is not what I heard..I said by tomorrow U will and of course U know the rest..

it might have the best score when you do an average of height errors over the entire northern hemisphere, but it has stunk regarding individual events on the east coast this winter.

It was better than the GFS on 1/11-12.

Except for its 2-3 run hiccups, it did better than the GFS with the event on 12/26 and the non-event on 12/19.

Several people have been calling this a clipper...why I don't know

Because the northern branch s/w originates in southern Canada and progressively traverses an arc across the northern US without closing off a mid-level center. The storm is not a classic "clipper" storm, but I can see why at quick glance some might call that.

Its an issue again where the Euro may verify better than the GFS but the problem is that considers all days and not specifically for storms, I tend to believe the GFS more inside 84 hours whent the Euro shows something different, especially this year.

Not only that, but currently with the Friday storm the 18z NOGAPS has it further NW than the ECM, and pretty close (if not further NW) to the GFS. The NOGAPS has a south east bias, so that automatically throws the red flag at the ECM saying change your solution.

It was better than the GFS on 1/11-12.

Except for its 2-3 run hiccups, it did better than the GFS with the event on 12/26 and the non-event on 12/19.

The ECM was definitely not better than the GFS on 1/11-12/11. The GFS was the first model to converge onto the correct solution, and the NOGAPS showed the LP further NW for many runs in a row. ECM was lagging pretty far behind other model guidance.

The ECM was definitely not better than the GFS on 1/11-12/11. The GFS was the first model to converge onto the correct solution, and the NOGAPS showed the LP further NW for many runs in a row. ECM was lagging pretty far behind other model guidance.

:huh:

I don't recall clearly how the EC looked 7-5 days out, but I know in the 2-4 day range the EC was fairly consistently further NW and wetter than the GFS.

The 18Z NOGAPs continues to be relatively close to the coast...the NOGAPs was running awfully amplifed with the storm last week, even from beyond day 5 and many forecasters were beating the drum that might indicate a stronger solution which ultimately occurred.

The NOGAPS has been trending stronger all day.

Not only that, but currently with the Friday storm the 18z NOGAPS has it further NW than the ECM, and pretty close (if not further NW) to the GFS. The NOGAPS has a south east bias, so that automatically throws the red flag at the ECM saying change your solution.

The GEM being west all of a sudden as well when its been progressive all winter is interesting...if you showed me the GEM and asked where the GFS/NAM were I'd tell you inland since they've been west of the GEM all winter...its possible the GEM is just exhibitng a bit of its bias on this storm since the pattern is different than it has been through most of the winter without the extreme -NAO.

The GEM being west all of a sudden as well when its been progressive all winter is interesting...if you showed me the GEM and asked where the GFS/NAM were I'd tell you inland since they've been west of the GEM all winter...its possible the GEM is just exhibitng a bit of its bias on this storm since the pattern is different than it has been through most of the winter without the extreme -NAO.

Good point, usually the GGEM was pretty far east while other models were showing a nice east coast storm for many of the storms this year. But since the NAM is showing a similar amped up solution to the GGEM, can we really disregard the GGEM and just say its bias has finally overcome it?

The ukmet has also been very progressive (more so than most guidance) and it too has come in with a moderate hit. Not sure if its progressive tendency was a consequence of how it was handling the blocking, but this alerted me to think maybe the further nw robust tracks have more weight.

:huh:

I don't recall clearly how the EC looked 7-5 days out, but I know in the 2-4 day range the EC was fairly consistently further NW and wetter than the GFS.

Hey Ray,

I'm not positive how both models performed compared to eachother with that system, a lot of my time in the long-medium range of the 11th-12th storm was spent dealing with the 7th-9th event...What I do recall though is at one point(couple days?) both op runs had the storm unamplified and drifting out to sea more or less harmlessly while each respective set of ensembles were much more amplified/further nw and alarming for the event.

I agree here. The GFS had the Miller B transfer almost to a T 7 days prior to the event. It was the first model to hint at the storm as well, granted in the medium range it lost it as well. I don't really feel like any of the models has performed rather well this year. Seems like each of the models has had one event in particular that it seemed to stand out with. Euro 12/26 GFS 1/11 in regards to medium/long range. The WRF/NAM has been really good at hinting at dynamic potential of each of the storms as we got into the short term inside 48 hrs. It's been a very difficult winter to forecast that much is for sure.

18z GEFS means are about 75 miles further NW and more amplified with the surface low compared to 12z. There's a clear trend towards a strong storm with more precipitation on the GFS today beginning with it's 00z runs and continuing with the latest 18z which is a 6" snowfall for a swath of the area.

Hey Ray,

I'm not positive how both models performed compared to eachother with that system, a lot of my time in the long-medium range of the 11th-12th storm was spent dealing with the 7th-9th event...What I do recall though is at one point(couple days?) both op runs had the storm unamplified and drifting out to sea more or less harmlessly while each respective set of ensembles were much more amplified/further nw and alarming for the event.

The ensembles have been NW of the Op runs it seems all season which tends to be rare but given the way its gone this year no shocker there, everything has been more amped and juiced than expected.

Hey Ray,

That must've been Saturday or before. I know on Sunday when I made my original call of 6-10 for Trenton, I sided most heavily with the EC which was in between the GFS and NAM at the time, and where it pretty much stayed until the storm was upon us. (reminder that the storm was Tuesday night).

18z GEFS means are about 75 miles further NW and more amplified with the surface low compared to 12z. There's a clear trend towards a strong storm with more precipitation on the GFS today beginning with it's 00z runs and continuing with the latest 18z which is a 6" snowfall for a swath of the area.

There are about 5-7 members at H5 that are really amplified. When the sfc progs come out on the eWall, I bet you are going to see bombs.

Archived