amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jan 20-22 Threat Potential Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad if you ask me. Whatever I can add on to the seasonal total is great..it'll also be cool to get a fresh new snow pack and some cold air.

Agree 100%.

Keep adding with small events and mix in some moderate to heavy events.

Best winters have constant snow threats. Not just 1 or 2 big events.

1/17/2010 isn't a very good analog - the southern stream system was quite separate from and well out ahead of the northern stream, and the northern stream system hung back in the northern/western Great Lakes, whereas in this case the northern stream is expected to dig sharply into the Midwest.

The top 2 analogs for 500mb right now in the East at 60 hours are 1/17/10 and 3/12/93....I'd throw out 3/12/93 despite the fact the pattern at 500mb nationwide is quite similar, but we are not getting a triple phaser....1/17/10 is legitimate, this time of course we have cold air in place...that storm would have been much snowier if we were colder.

no doubt.. there's a ton of vorticity advection, however, it's spread out fairly uniformly throught the length of the trof, so without any consolidated vorticity maximum in the base of the trof, heights are falling at the same rate on the lee side, which is not allowing for any height contour spread and any consolidated low pressure to form.. at least not at this time frame.

it's where it finally comes to hour 66 where the energy begins consolidating and the height contours begin spreading apart.. so now the low is beginning to take shape.

You can see the tiny difference the weaker phase results in. Just a small part of the southern wave not fully phasing ahead of the trough results in a much smaller region of extreme height falls/DPVA as well as a weaker jet stream interaction at the base. This solution is more realistic than the 12Z and is already 4 hpa weaker through 66.

You can see the tiny difference the weaker phase results in. Just a small part of the southern wave not fully phasing ahead of the trough results in a much smaller region of extreme height falls/DPVA as well as a weaker jet stream interaction at the base. This solution is more realistic than the 12Z and is already 4 hpa weaker through 66.

yea.. exactly.. I mean.. in comparing it with 12Z at hour 69, it looks pretty close, but it's just a hair less amped, a hair less negatively tilted as well.. which probably means a hair weaker and hair more to the east.

EDIT: But hey.. what's to complain.. it's still giving a sizable hit anyhow so I'm happy with this solution!

This latest Hazardous Weather Outlook sounds promising for my county:

HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-

325 PM EST TUE JAN 18 2011

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN NEW JERSEY...NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

THERE IS A CHANCE FOR SOME FREEZING RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

AN ACCUMULATING SNOW IS LIKELY THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING. IT WOULD IMPACT THE FRIDAY MORNING COMMUTE. LOOK FOR FURTHER DETAILS WITH THIS SYSTEM ON WEDNESDAY.

Archived