joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 20-22 Threat Potential Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is the NAO looking on the ECMWF? I checked the maps on E-Wall, it looks significantly positive on the Day 8-10 Mean.

It seems it will be anywhere from neutral to slightly positive on most data I have seen...thats a problem since that high could be allowed to move out again...the 168-180 hour event has a potential to be a monster, but if the NAO doesn't go somewhat negative before then I think we may see the same thing unfold as today though there would be a better chance for major front end snow.

dtk posted in the thread yesterday that the bias only applies to cutoff lows.

Well, I think that is how this whole notion even started (the fact that there used to be a bias with SouthWest cutoffs). Now...any time that anyone sees a slightly slower evolution with any piece of mid-level energy on an EC forecast, they cite this supposed bias. I personally think this is just another straw man to blame anytime someone doesn't like a solution (as in I don't believe this supposed bias is real...outside of the noted issue with cut-offs). I would be happy to believe otherwise if someone compiled solid evidence there of (and by that, I don't mean citing personal observation....which usually involves comparing real-time forecasts, noting one is slower than another, and never looking back at actual verification).

It seems it will be anywhere from neutral to slightly positive on most data I have seen...thats a problem since that high could be allowed to move out again...the 168-180 hour event has a potential to be a monster, but if the NAO doesn't go somewhat negative before then I think we may see the same thing unfold as today though there would be a better chance for major front end snow.

Agree... 180 0c line is in NYC

One thing to note is the 12Z Stony Brook MM5 at 500mb out in the Midwest at 60 hours looks like the NAM...generally these 2 models DO agree but if the MM5 was notably weaker it would give us a reason to really throw the NAM out

Doesn"t MM5 use the NAM? That being said, souldn't the the GGEM be thrown in with NAM solution? Or at least closer to it than say GFS UKMET EC?. GGEM looks like solid .50 - 85 for the area.

The timing was just perfect....many models had a storm cutting inland days before and the NAM or ETA back then on the 12Z run Saturday AM only 24-36 hours before the storm had mostly rain.

it would have been rain had it not been for a 1044 mb arctic high over northern new england

The timing was just perfect....many models had a storm cutting inland days before and the NAM or ETA back then on the 12Z run Saturday AM only 24-36 hours before the storm had mostly rain.

goose- i think you are mistaken....days before the PDII storm the storm was progged well south of our area it was only early saturday that the models shifted north

The Euro is very PDII ish on that storm next week....high is about 100 miles more east though

SG, would that be our change of pattern storm, where we go into a +AO for the 7-10 days that Don was talking about? Of course detaisl will change, but a further east high might introduce some mixing issues depending upon how much Arctic air we have.

goose- i think you are mistaken....days before the PDII storm the storm was progged well south of our area it was only early saturday that the models shifted north

This is how i remember it as well. One of the classic total snowfall ramp-ups in history. I remember the news playing catchup even after the storm had begun.

Joe Lundberg

With the storm likely to deepen Thursday night and Friday as it cuts across extreme southeastern New England, the amounts should easily double, with 6-12 inches becoming a more common snow total for eastern Pennsylvania and possibly northern Maryland into much of New England. I wouldn't be shocked if someone wound up with 15 to 20 inches in portions of southern and eastern New England.

Archived