• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jan 20-22 Threat Potential Part 2

am19psu

Why Is lady forecaster on ch4 saying clipper system bringing 1-3 on fri..very frustrating watching tv weather allot of the time anymore..also they misinform public over and over..ch 7 is the

Only half descent one with weather.

Even the gfs and ECM would imply 2 - 4 or more for the area. It'll be interesting if the nam remains consistent and if any other guidance trends towards it.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wrt to the CRAS I always wondered what a ULL dropping down below 500dm phasing with a s/w would look like. It gets the ULL down to 486dm over upstate NY! Also there is a strip of .75-1.00 right where the -20 degree isotherm is...ratios would be ridiculous under that band! moot point though since it isn't happening but surely fun to look at.Snowman.gifSnowman.gif

We actually received an emergency managers weather briefing this afternoon from Mt.Holly via email, right now they are calling for a moderate event with the potential of 4-8" of accumulation.

3-6/4-8 seems likely for the Mt Holly and Upton CWAs with more up towards new england..I can never understand for the life of me saying 1-3/2-4 without mentioning the possibility of something more significant. I think its just as likely we see 10 as it is we only see 1(and no more)...just some food for thought

wrt to the CRAS I always wondered what a ULL dropping down below 500dm phasing with a s/w would look like. It gets the ULL down to 486dm over upstate NY! Also there is a strip of .75-1.00 right where the -20 degree isotherm is...ratios would be ridiculous under that band! moot point though since it isn't happening but surely fun to look at.Snowman.gifSnowman.gif

The pressure on the CRAS drops from 1000-940 mb in 24 hours. Reminds me of Hurricane Felix.

Why Is lady forecaster on ch4 saying clipper system bringing 1-3 on fri..very frustrating watching tv weather allot of the time anymore..also they misinform public over and over..ch 7 is the

It really doesn't pay to do specific snow amounts especially when the storm is beyond the 60 hr forecast range.

It's better to just say today at this point that there is the potential for an accumulating snow and the amounts will

depend on the final track of the low.

That's not an unreasonable forecast given the EC.

It really doesn't pay to do specific snow amounts especially when the storm is beyond the 60 hr forecast range. It's better to just say today at this point that there is the potential for an accumulating snow and the amounts will depend on the final track of the low.

Excellent point. The forecasters would have a lot more credence if they were accurate about the possibility of a storm rather than a guess at accumulation two and a half days out.

Obviously another occasion where until day before public will be misinformed (especially if it turns out to be like the Nam)

Dude, this is why you were 5-posted before. All you have done since I took you off is criticize HPC, NWS, and television meteorologists. Knock it off or I'll put you back on restriction.

EC has 0.24" for NYC. 2-3" versus 2-4" versus 1-3"... is there really much difference?

ray you're not wrong but 1-3 is not a reasonable forecast given a blend of all the models, I think thats the point. Bluewave is right though no amounts should be given at this point and it is probably more prudent to say expect a storm and at least some accumulating snow, but the possibility is it could be significant (a la what craig allen said on 880)

Dude, this is why you were 5-posted before. All you have done since I took you off is criticize HPC, NWS, and television meteorologists. Knock it off or I'll put you back on restriction.

I was pointing it out..Wasn't trying to stir the pot..Reason I posted because she said a Clipper not cause of the totals..

I was pointing it out..Wasn't trying to stir the pot..Reason I posted because she said a Clipper not cause of the totals..

Well, a good middle ground is to say that some tv meteorologists really know their stuff and other tv meteorologists only play the role on tv (and not very well either) :) It's the truth.

ray you're not wrong but 1-3 is not a reasonable forecast given a blend of all the models, I think thats the point. Bluewave is right though no amounts should be given at this point and it is probably more prudent to say expect a storm and at least some accumulating snow, but the possibility is it could be significant (a la what craig allen said on 880)

It IS a reasonable forecast if you are trying to rely on the statistically best model, which is the EC. I agree that no amounts should be thrown around as far as the public is concerned right now... and if I made a call right now thanks to a gun pointed to my head, I would go higher (probably 3-6). Going any higher than that is unreasonable right now given the great deal of uncertainty.

It IS a reasonable forecast if you are trying to rely on the statistically best model, which is the EC. I agree that no amounts should be thrown around as far as the public is concerned right now... and if I made a call right now thanks to a gun pointed to my head, I would go higher (probably 3-6). Going any higher than that is unreasonable right now given the great deal of uncertainty.

Since when has the EC been the statistically best model this winter? It has been all over the place.

And the fact is, especially with a snow sensitive public right now, it's much better to "ease" into higher amounts, should you need to. In short, it's much better to start low and work upwards if the need occurs, rather than call for 6"+ (or whatever) and have to back off.

I dont get the anguish over forecasted amounts-- it's not like anyone controls how much falls.

Archived