joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One would think the Euro has to nail one of these MR storms at some point this year right? This is probably at least the 4th time this year it has showed a big storm at like 120 hrs and nothing has really panned out south of PHL to say the least. I'm riding the law of averages here and thinking the Euro gets this one right.....................until 1 am tonight at least.

I feel more like this is poker. The house always wins.. but there is always that one time when you beat the house... and I am hoping this is the time we cash in

I'll just confirm that the NOGAPS is still north west of most guidance with this threat and the most inland. I think the main reason for this is how it handles the energy. Unlike the Canadian and GFS.. it keeps all the energy together instead of separating it and leaving a piece is the south-west. So it then phases that energy with the northern branch and we get the solution the nogaps has.

Euro does not leave the energy behind either.. so... we'll see. :P

I am encouraged to see the NOGAPS all wound up and not progressive and OTS.

Furthermore, I will deploy some weenie logic and say that I really don't see that kind of inland track for this storm - I don't believe the NOGAPS when it has the low inland over High Point, NC or wherever.

In other words, I will choose to believe the things I like about this run and discard the ones that would argue against snow :-)

12Z GFS ensembles generally do NOT like the first s/w that the Euro blows up. 2 members pop a storm off the VA/NC coast on Tuesday, 1 of which gives us some snow. Most of the ensemble members pick up on the 2nd (or 3rd?) piece of energy in the Gulf 150hrs+ and try to bring it northeast. Many of those give us rain...a few snow. Several members cant figure out what to do at all. Still lots of spread.

Ensemble mean precip for the Tuesday event keeps the 0.1" line DC and south. Then gets the 0.25" line in the neighborhood in the 200-220hr point.

Now where have I seen this before? A storm modeled in the 4-6 day period with around 0.5-.75 precip targeted for the DC/BWI area, but with more precip to the east and NE. This has been the Euro's pattern for the last few storms. As time gets closer the precip maxes migrate more easterly and northerly until we get little. Not saying that this is going to happen again, but I have seen this too many times this winter. GGEM and GFS already have the bulk of precip modeled to our east and north. I hope that this time things things turn out better.

MDstorm

Earthlight did say it was an epic setup for sig snowstorm... but I was told they were all weenies

Well, it is pretty weenie-ish to start murmuring about one of the legendary storms of recent memory off of one run of the Euro five days out, that's for damn sure. Then again, they fart and it snows up that way this year, so perhaps that is what it's like to be "in the zone", you see KUs behind every corner.

Earthlight did say it was an epic setup for sig snowstorm... but I was told they were all weenies

no offense but i personally care very little what anyone in their forum says. the setup on the euro is good obviously but to compare it to a top 10 storm in this area right now is silly.

Archived