• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Thanksgiving Week Severe Weather

msp

I still have to keep reminding myself that it doesn't take as much moisture / instability in the cold season to have svr wx as long as the dynamics are there than it does in the spring and summer. I broadbrush things by thinking that dews in the 50's are ok for t storms but I need dews in the 60's for tornadoes, which may work in spring and summer but not necessarily in this season.

Not to drag the thread too OT but here is a case from 11/12/65 which produced several strong tornadoes in northern IL/northwest IN. Here are a couple maps courtesy of Bangladesh Tornadoes:

Surface map:

11126519zsf.gif

Fairly deep low (deeper than today at least) but the temps/dewpoints don't really jump out at you. Instability probably wasn't that high. The result?

111265pth.gif

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tornado we shot was just north of the intersection of Hunter and Ryan roads northwest of Chemung. It lifted shortly thereafter at least for a bit, perhaps dropping again in Lawrence per NWS preliminary storm reports. We got some "damage" pictures to trees and one steel highway sign post as the sun set and talked to a homeowner, who mentioned the January 2008 storm going through his yard on a very similar track. This line today was maybe 50 yards further south at least at that point, but also on the southwest to northeast trajectory. Eerily similar in the track.

I'm guessing the width was maybe twenty yards where we were. Strength of EF0.

Still having an issue uploading pics. Maybe it's my firefox.

Here we go.

Radar capture showing approximate observed path (thin black line) and our position during the tornado.

post-855-0-35594200-1290473652.png

The wall cloud and tornado itself was well contrasted. After moving for about twenty seconds at the width in the pictures below, it did lift. Rotation with the wall cloud itself continued, although video of that did not turn out too visible, outside of rapidly moving rain curtains.

post-855-0-85333300-1290472626.jpg

post-855-0-68761200-1290472653.jpg

'Damage path' as detailed in the picture.

post-855-0-01446400-1290472700.jpg

Steel highway sign post.

post-855-0-93319700-1290472742.jpg

A closer view of the soft wood tree damage, on both edges of the field. The house I referenced from 2008 is just off the frame to the north (left) of those pines. It is late in the year and with many of the fields harvested and tilled and bare trees, there wasn't much vegetation to be pulled airborne.

post-855-0-07681500-1290472822.jpg

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2066

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0709 PM CST MON NOV 22 2010

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF NRN AND CNTRL AR

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 230109Z - 230215Z

THE THREAT FOR A SEVERE STORMS CAPABLE OF HAIL...LOCALLY DAMAGING

WINDS AND PERHAPS A COUPLE OF TORNADOES APPEARS TO BE INCREASING

ACROSS THE DISCUSSION AREA AND CONVECTIVE TRENDS ARE BEING MONITORED

FOR A POSSIBLE WW.

RECENT TRENDS IN REGIONAL RADAR IMAGERY INDICATE DEEPENING

CONVECTION WITHIN PRE-FRONTAL WARM SECTOR FROM N OF HOT TO BVX. 00Z

LIT SOUNDING INDICATED THE PRESENCE OF A CAPPING INVERSION AT AROUND

720 MB. HOWEVER...SUSTAINED LOW-LEVEL CONFLUENCE AND MOISTENING

ALONG SRN EXTENSION OF SWLY 40-50 KT LLJ MAY SUPPORT EVENTUAL STORM

DEVELOPMENT WITHIN THE SW-NE ORIENTED BAND OF DEEPENING CONVECTIVE

DEVELOPMENT. THIS SCENARIO IS SUPPORTED BY LATEST MESOSCALE AND

CONVECTION-RESOLVING MODEL GUIDANCE AND GIVEN THE STRONGLY SHEARED

ENVIRONMENT /REF. 00Z LIT SOUNDING AND CURRENT VWP DATA/...THE

POTENTIAL WILL EXIST FOR SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF A COUPLE OF TORNADOES

IN ADDITION TO DAMAGING WINDS AND HAIL.

ELSEWHERE...TSTMS DEVELOPING NEAR COLD FRONT-DRYLINE TRIPLE POINT E

OF MKO MAY CONTINUE TO INTENSIFY WHILE MOVING EWD INTO NWRN AR WHERE

ENVIRONMENT BECOMES PROGRESSIVELY MORE MOIST AND STRONGLY SHEARED IN

THE LOW-LEVELS.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 748

800 PM CST MON NOV 22 2010

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

NORTHERN AND CENTRAL ARKANSAS

FAR EAST CENTRAL OKLAHOMA

EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY MORNING FROM 800 PM UNTIL

300 AM CST.

TORNADOES...HAIL TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND

GUSTS TO 70 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE

AREAS.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 749

825 PM CST MON NOV 22 2010

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

EASTERN ARKANSAS

SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

SOUTHWEST INDIANA

WESTERN KENTUCKY

SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI

WESTERN TENNESSEE

EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY MORNING FROM 825 PM UNTIL

400 AM CST.

TORNADOES...HAIL TO 1 INCH IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS

TO 70 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

DISCUSSION...SHOWERS/TSTMS FORMING ALONG SW-NE PREFRONTAL CONFLUENCE

ZONE...AND STORMS ALONG FRONTAL BAND FARTHER NW...EXPECTED TO

PERSIST AND POSSIBLY INCREASE THROUGH EARLY TUE AS REGION IS GLANCED

BY SHORTWAVE IMPULSE NOW CROSSING KS. STRONG WIND FIELD WITH

SUBSTANTIAL LOW-LVL DIRECTIONAL SHEAR...AND CONTINUED LOW-LL

MOISTURE INFLOW NNEWD THROUGH THE MS VLY...SUGGEST POTENTIAL FOR A

FEW SUSTAINED STORMS/SUPERCELLS. THESE COULD YIELD MARGINALLY SVR

HAIL...LOCALLY DMGG WIND...AND /MAINLY WITH PRE-FRONTAL

ACTIVITY/...A COUPLE TORNADOES.

I can't really say that I'm not surprised at the tornadoes today as it was very similar to that January 2008 set up in a lot of ways. What surprises me somewhat is the apparent strength a couple of these tornadoes had...but as others have said its all relative to the surface and aloft. I'd imagine we had some pretty low LCL's from looking at some of the pics and therefore the tremendous shear and the little bit of instability combined with the low LCL's was enough to do the trick.

We are very fortunate to have not heard about fatalities and that is certainly something to be thankful about as we celebrate our holiday this week. My heart goes out to those that lost their homes, however. Its sad to see that happen.

To OceanSt- I can't wait to see those pics of that wall cloud feature you referenced earlier. That should be an interesting picture or set of pictures. I know these things basically fired up right on top of us literally. We are lucky here the front was a bit fast otherwise we could have had some dangerous stuff to be dealing with. I just got home so I am catching up on things and looking at information. I was on the site at work but only briefly as there were other things I had to tend to.

Ohio Valley/Southern Lakes may get to deal with a similar set up again Wed/Wed Night. Should be interesting. Now if we follow that 2008 pattern we should be getting our major snowstorm in about two weeks :)

I can't really say that I'm not surprised at the tornadoes today as it was very similar to that January 2008 set up in a lot of ways. What surprises me somewhat is the apparent strength a couple of these tornadoes had...but as others have said its all relative to the surface and aloft. I'd imagine we had some pretty low LCL's from looking at some of the pics and therefore the tremendous shear and the little bit of instability combined with the low LCL's was enough to do the trick.

We are very fortunate to have not heard about fatalities and that is certainly something to be thankful about as we celebrate our holiday this week. My heart goes out to those that lost their homes, however. Its sad to see that happen.

To OceanSt- I can't wait to see those pics of that wall cloud feature you referenced earlier. That should be an interesting picture or set of pictures. I know these things basically fired up right on top of us literally. We are lucky here the front was a bit fast otherwise we could have had some dangerous stuff to be dealing with. I just got home so I am catching up on things and looking at information. I was on the site at work but only briefly as there were other things I had to tend to.

Ohio Valley/Southern Lakes may get to deal with a similar set up again Wed/Wed Night. Should be interesting. Now if we follow that 2008 pattern we should be getting our major snowstorm in about two weeks :)

Yeah I think I might have a fun shift Thursday, if I didn't just put the hex on it. Very similar to today.

yes, enjoy that patrick, should've said thurs too since northern ohio/southern michigan southward could be an interesting zone thanksgiving day. I wonder though if the stronger impulse in the mid and upper levels will shoot more up across WI/IL and leave the actual areas more warmer/moist/slightly unstable with a bit less support aloft than today though. I have a feeling that might be what happens. Perhaps more of a marginal wind/hail threat and not so much tornadoes, but we got a day or two to see how that evolves.

Looks like areas from Ohio into Western PA really needs to watch for a very similar set up to today's, on a major holiday which may have some serious consequences

I'd say more so Kentucky into southern lower Michigan and western Ohio. I don't think eastern Ohio and western Penn would get convection until after 03z....If you look at 850 the LLJ is pointed at KTOL at 00z, and seeing that the best convection tends to occur along the left edge of the LLJ it would imply a further west threat area.

I'd say more so Kentucky into southern lower Michigan and western Ohio. I don't think eastern Ohio and western Penn would get convection until after 03z....If you look at 850 the LLJ is pointed at KTOL at 00z, and seeing that the best convection tends to occur along the left edge of the LLJ it would imply a further west threat area.

Just saying that the models shift slight bit the threat changes, but to be on the safe side, my area could be across the OV Valley, you know how bad it could be if even one strong tornado hits during a major holiday

post-1757-0-02195300-1290481066.jpg

yes, enjoy that patrick, should've said thurs too since northern ohio/southern michigan southward could be an interesting zone thanksgiving day. I wonder though if the stronger impulse in the mid and upper levels will shoot more up across WI/IL and leave the actual areas more warmer/moist/slightly unstable with a bit less support aloft than today though. I have a feeling that might be what happens. Perhaps more of a marginal wind/hail threat and not so much tornadoes, but we got a day or two to see how that evolves.

Yeah I can agree with that Justin....and you forgot the "X FACTOR'....I'M ON SHIFT....whenever stebo or I am working it deflects around us....case and point today.... KLAN and KFNT have had multiple TS obs....and as it got within 60SM of me the LTG disappeared....just as it does with stebo....metro and the FAA should pay us extra for improving air ops....OUR SHEILDS ALWAYS HOLD.

Yeah I can agree with that Justin....and you forgot the "X FACTOR'....I'M ON SHIFT....whenever stebo or I am working it deflects around us....case and point today.... KLAN and KFNT have had multiple TS obs....and as it got within 60SM of me the LTG disappeared....just as it does with stebo....metro and the FAA should pay us extra for improving air ops....OUR SHEILDS ALWAYS HOLD.

I personally don't mind when the storms go north or south, though you have to remember I was here when we had hail. :)

Just saying that the models shift slight bit the threat changes, but to be on the safe side, my area could be across the OV Valley, you know how bad it could be if even one strong tornado hits during a major holiday

post-1757-0-02195300-1290481066.jpg

I agree with Justin with the dynamics being further removed to the west (more dis-placed than today) I have reservations right now about any severe chance, and am just making a "first guess" based on what I would expect with the LLVL theta advection, but without looking at other model data and thermodynamics yet it is just a "first guess". Based on the jet LLVL fields I would definitely think further west. I do see the 50kts at 850 at 18z pointing into the area you mentioned, but by 00z it "re-orientates" itself and believe the action would be along the front and along any rise/fall pressure couplet as expected similar to today.

I agree with Justin with the dynamics being further removed to the west (more dis-placed than today) I have reservations right now about any severe chance, and am just making a "first guess" based on what I would expect with the LLVL theta advection, but without looking at other model data and thermodynamics yet it is just a "first guess". Based on the jet LLVL fields I would definitely think further west. I do see the 50kts at 850 at 18z pointing into the area you mentioned, but by 00z it "re-orientates" itself and believe the action would be along the front and along any rise/fall pressure couplet as expected similar to today.

Let the waiting game begin!!!!!:popcorn:

It's almost like you did that on purpose. :axe: Hard to argue with the best threat being south/east though barring the unlikely scenario of something trending back toward the 12z NAM.

It's almost like you did that on purpose. :axe: Hard to argue with the best threat being south/east though barring the unlikely scenario of something trending back toward the 12z NAM.

I disagree ....to me it's easy to argue that based on the LLJ....and further east would be further away from the mid and upper level dynamics....but we shall see....I still think the highlighted area would be the spot IF IT OCCURS.

Managed to grab those photos from north of Davenport. The photo of the wall cloud is looking SW, with the WFO located to the left out of the shot. So from our view we could see the RFD clear slot wrapping around with a low contrast wall cloud tucked back inside it.

The RFD clear slot showed up nicely once the storms went through, as evidenced by the picture showing blue sky and a backlit updraft tower.

The funnel shot was from the turbulent RFD, a shear funnel (not associated with a meso). We could not see this from the office.

Managed to grab those photos from north of Davenport. The photo of the wall cloud is looking SW, with the WFO located to the left out of the shot. So from our view we could see the RFD clear slot wrapping around with a low contrast wall cloud tucked back inside it.

The RFD clear slot showed up nicely once the storms went through, as evidenced by the picture showing blue sky and a backlit updraft tower.

The funnel shot was from the turbulent RFD, a shear funnel (not associated with a meso). We could not see this from the office.

Very nice pics....bet you will see those in the spotter training video for your office CWA.

Archived