• Created
  • Last Reply

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO

454 PM CST MON NOV 22 2010

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SPRINGFIELD HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

CENTRAL WEBSTER COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST MISSOURI...

EAST CENTRAL GREENE COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST MISSOURI...

* UNTIL 545 PM CST.

* AT 452 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

TORNADO NEAR TURNERS...OR 6 MILES SOUTHWEST OF STRAFFORD...MOVING

EAST AT 50 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE DIGGINS...FORDLAND...NORTHEASTERN

SPRINGFIELD...NORTHVIEW...STRAFFORD AND TURNERS.

INTERSTATE 44 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 80 AND 97 WILL ALSO BE IMPACTED BY

THIS TORNADO.

IN ADDITION TO A TORNADO...THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE

DAMAGING HAIL UP TO GOLF BALL SIZE...AND DESTRUCTIVE STRAIGHT LINE

WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH.

Guess SPC wants to err on the side of caution for possible spin ups with the new tor watch for IN and MI. I would expect straight line winds to be more of a risk in this night time frame.

Agree. I think the tor threat is decreasing overall although I suppose it's non-negligible. Low level speed shear is pretty impressive.

It will be interesting to see what the survey says tomorrow. To take high tension wires down it takes a pretty good wind, but if the towers came down with them we're approaching EF3.

We were able to watch a nice RFD punch from the office window today, it occluded a ragged wall cloud but never got any tighter than that. An off duty employee got some shots of it, so hopefully I can snag those and upload them.

Agree. I think the tor threat is decreasing overall although I suppose it's non-negligible. Low level speed shear is pretty impressive.

Instability will be the issue up this way, as for what has already happened, even thought its only been a few tornadoes the few that have formed sound fairly significant and the pictures would agree. It only takes one tornado to have something remembered, thankfully so far it sounds like there has not been any loss of life today.

It will be interesting to see what the survey says tomorrow. To take high tension wires down it takes a pretty good wind, but if the towers came down with them we're approaching EF3.

We were able to watch a nice RFD punch from the office window today, it occluded a ragged wall cloud but never got any tighter than that. An off duty employee got some shots of it, so hopefully I can snag those and upload them.

More of the damage will be seen tomorrow morning, but based on what i am thinking we might have 1 or 2 EF3-or possibly EF4

Instability will be the issue up this way, as for what has already happened, even thought its only been a few tornadoes the few that have formed sound fairly significant and the pictures would agree. It only takes one tornado to have something remembered, thankfully so far it sounds like there has not been any loss of life today.

so far:

today.gif

Still can't get over how 1/7/08 was dropped as an analog event and then we get another (very likely strong) tornado today in a similar spot. Will be interesting to compare the tracks.

so far:

today.gif

Still can't get over how 1/7/08 was dropped as an analog event and then we get another (very likely strong) tornado today in a similar spot. Will be interesting to compare the tracks.

Yeah I think that's an interesting coincidence the more interesting thing is the similar patterns too, maybe we'll have to remember this and field trip to N IL/S WI when we see it again.

More of the damage will be seen tomorrow morning, but based on what i am thinking we might have 1 or 2 EF3-or possibly EF4

Based on the very preliminary damage reports I've heard, sounds like a likely significant tornado, possibly low end EF3. To me there just wasn't enough ingredients for EF4 today. The 0-1km shear was 35 kts, just above what is necessary for EF2+. It is surprisingly easy to completely destroy garages, corn cribs and the like with winds below EF2 strength.

Based on the very preliminary damage reports I've heard, sounds like a likely significant tornado, possibly low end EF3. To me there just wasn't enough ingredients for EF4 today. The 0-1km shear was 35 kts, just above what is necessary for EF2+. It is surprisingly easy to completely destroy garages, corn cribs and the like with winds below EF2 strength.

Yep. The damage that sounds more interesting is with those lines/possible towers down as well as that business.

The tornado we shot was just north of the intersection of Hunter and Ryan roads northwest of Chemung. It lifted shortly thereafter at least for a bit, perhaps dropping again in Lawrence per NWS preliminary storm reports. We got some "damage" pictures to trees and one steel highway sign post as the sun set and talked to a homeowner, who mentioned the January 2008 storm going through his yard on a very similar track. This line today was maybe 50 yards further south at least at that point, but also on the southwest to northeast trajectory. Eerily similar in the track.

I'm guessing the width was maybe twenty yards where we were. Strength of EF0.

Still having an issue uploading pics. Maybe it's my firefox.

The tornado we shot was just north of the intersection of Hunter and Ryan roads northwest of Chemung. It lifted shortly thereafter at least for a bit, perhaps dropping again in Lawrence per NWS preliminary storm reports. We got some "damage" pictures to trees and one steel highway sign post as the sun set and talked to a homeowner, who mentioned the January 2008 storm going through his yard on a very similar track. This line today was maybe 50 yards further south at least at that point, but also on the southwest to northeast trajectory. Eerily similar in the track.

What about uploading to photobucket or something?

Heck if its 50 yards away I'd consider that dead on.

I still have to keep reminding myself that it doesn't take as much moisture / instability in the cold season to have svr wx as long as the dynamics are there than it does in the spring and summer. I broadbrush things by thinking that dews in the 50's are ok for t storms but I need dews in the 60's for tornadoes, which may work in spring and summer but not necessarily in this season.

I still have to keep reminding myself that it doesn't take as much moisture / instability in the cold season to have svr wx as long as the dynamics are there than it does in the spring and summer. I broadbrush things by thinking that dews in the 50's are ok for t storms but I need dews in the 60's for tornadoes, which may work in spring and summer but not necessarily in this season.

Instability is always about the change in temperature and moisture with height, no matter the time of year. It's never based solely on surface conditions, and there are never magical surface thresholds. There are common ones for severe thunderstorm and tornado situations, because of the time of year most severe weather events happen... but there are never magic thresholds. If the mid-level temperatures are cold enough and the temperatures decrease rapidly enough with height, you can theoretically have 2000 j/kg of SBCAPE with temperatures in the 50s.

Archived