Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC Jan 17-19 Snow/Ice/Rain Storm Obs

am19psu

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ice storm in the making for ussad.gif

Yeah we could see a really scary ice storm...the upper levels appear to be warming fast but the surface is holding onto cold air well, as I suspected it would with NE winds. Are we really going to rise more than 10F under moderate precipitation?

This could become a very dangerous situation here in Southern Westchester. I'm sitting at 21.7F now.

The sleet line is advancing at a scary pace, I'm starting to get worried here.

Moderate Snow

21.7/19

Coating down..

PSU-tested method (lol), when the flakes either become very rimed or massive aggregates develop, the sleet line is right on your doorstep. The very rimed flakes fell here tonight just before the sleet hit. The flake size was never very impressive here tonight other than just after the snow developed. Immediately thereafter the rimed flakes came in which warned me that warm air was rapidly strengthening aloft.

a lot of that is because of bright banding with sleet and other non-snow precip that reveals heavier radar returns

Rutgers still holding at 24 with a NE/ENE wind. Still a while to go until we get above freezing, and the NAM/GFS seemed to suggest we go >32 at 12z (7 AM), I think a lot of areas are in store for a longer period of freezing rain and I wouldn't be surprised to see Winter Storm/Ice Storm warnings extend back to Somserset/Hunterdon/Berks/Bucks counties for the morning update

Yeah we could see a really scary ice storm...the upper levels appear to be warming fast but the surface is holding onto cold air well, as I suspected it would with NE winds. Are we really going to rise more than 10F under moderate precipitation?

This could become a very dangerous situation here in Southern Westchester. I'm sitting at 21.7F now.

21F here highest I see us getting to is 30 IMO, but time will tell.

EDIT:nvm 23.4F here

temps across the mid-Atlantic region are, on average 1-2F cooler at 06z, than the 6hr 00z NAM forecast. not a big difference, but...

actually, upon closer examination, some are lower and some are comparable or slightly higher, so no major difference. they seem to be a little cooler where the milder air is, but not quite as cold where the coldest air is.

I got over an inch and a half of snow but now it's all sleet. This is where the danger comes in. Snow is not too dangerous as long as your careful but sleet is more slippery and more icy. I just hope we don't transition into a few hours of freezing rain because the surface temperatures are not rising. I'm at 25 and temps have actually dropped a degree.

Snow starting to pick up in intensity.

Kinda worried about the rapid advancement the sleet line is making.

I'll say this...I was surprised that I am pinging this fast. I'm pretty far west in my county and usually don't flip for a while. But this is a different type of event..the WAA is working through the mid levels on a very strong sly flow. It's going going to slow down for much.

Archived