joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Jan 17-19 Snow/Ice/Rain Storm Obs

am19psu

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, definitely snowing at a moderate to heavy clip. The snowflakes right now are perfect for rapid accumulation, and we have a very solid dusting/coating already (eyeballing, maybe a quarter inch so far?). Gorgeous!

Slowed down a bit and the flakes have shrunk but I'm still in awe that we are seeing snow AGAIN with a decent threat in the near future. Really turning out to be an incredible winter - I'll deal with whatever precip we end up with that's not frozen; It will keep us humble. :lmao:

Closing in in half an inch here in Long Beach. Still coming down at a good clip, but with fairly small rimey flakes. The warm air is making its presence felt, but hopefully we have an hour or two left before it goes to :axe: .

What's your temp down there?

I'm only at 22.7F so plenty of room. We should get more evaporational cooling as the heavier bands rotate through, as the dewpoint is only 17F here.

What's your temp down there?

I'm only at 22.7F so plenty of room. We should get more evaporational cooling as the heavier bands rotate through, as the dewpoint is only 17F here.

thing is, downstream obs have some sleet with temps in the mid-20s or lower. also, RUC even has parts of NW CT in the upper 10s with ZR!

Its a nice pretty snow globe snow right now, but I see nothing in it to indicate any surprise snow accumulations. Given that the temperature at the surface is still plenty low enough (25 at 1AM), its not encouraging that the large flakes are aggregates and they are sharing the space with snizzle. Its warming fast aloft.

I said before that if there is to be a surprise for parts of LI, it will be more sleet than was expected. ZR in this setup is unlikely to last very long here.

The only reason I'm still up is because I am working. But its taking too long because I keep reading here.

Its a nice pretty snow globe snow right now, but I see nothing in it to indicate any surprise snow accumulations. Given that the temperature at the surface is still plenty low enough, its not encouraging that the large flakes are aggregates and they are sharing the space with snizzle. Its warming fast aloft.

I said before that if there is to be a surprise for parts of LI, it will be more sleet than was expected. ZR in this setup is unlikely to last very long here.

The flakes should get better as the heavier bands move into LI. One of the reasons you're not seeing good flake formation is that you're under very light echoes looking at radar. I think your 850s are still like -3C.

The flakes should get better as the heavier bands move into LI. One of the reasons you're not seeing good flake formation is that you're under very light echoes looking at radar. I think your 850s are still like -3C.

I've been under about 20 - 25 dbz until a few moments ago. The large aggregates have stopped. I think we are probably good for snow for another 2 or 3 hours. Maybe that band south of LI will give us a thrill first, although with a little luck I'll be in bed before it gets here.

Archived