joxey
NYC Jan 17-19 Snow/Ice/Rain Storm Obs

am19psu

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-SN

24.5/16

Radar looks great. Another overachiever coming?

Long Island probably has until around 3-4am and you guys a couple of hours longer, so if we start thumping now, we could have a surprise few inches or so.

Snow increasing in intensity right now, currently a solid lgt-mod snow. All surfaces covered. Still watching that T/Td closely. 26 now with a 13 dewpoint, so we still have room to wetbulb down a couple of degrees.

Interesting temperature trend at the rutgers gardens..wonder how long this drop in T/Td will continue

air_temp.png

wind_dir.png

It's especially interesting since there's an ENE wind which feeds directly off Raritan bay.

I was just looking over Ray's winter storm page and think the 12/14/03 event is very similar to this...except the low track is further offshore this time. I think places in NJ from Somerville and NW will see significant icing from this event.

Moderate Snow in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.

Temp in is currently 23* F; a two-degree drop in the past hour

Dew point is 20* F; so we can cool a bit more

Stiff NNE wind @ 12 MPH and gusts to 18 MPH; no wind south of East as of yet

Water temps offshore are pretty cold in the upper 30s

Barometer is still awfully high at 30.23 inches; evident of high pressure still holding its ground with CAD

Wonder if the five boroughs of NYC will hold on to sleet of freezing rain longer given the above.

Moderate-heavy snow now in Manhattan with huge flakes that are floating around like pillow feathers. Absolutely beautiful!:thumbsup:

Yes, definitely snowing at a moderate to heavy clip. The snowflakes right now are perfect for rapid accumulation, and we have a very solid dusting/coating already (eyeballing, maybe a quarter inch so far?). Gorgeous!

well good news is snow has begun well before models predicted for the area i think i know for sure in CT at least.. i did not expect to see anything before 1am and we might have a have an inch by then! suprised to see visibilities going down already! so even though philly as changed over it looks like we are in for 2-4 hours of moderate snow

Archived