• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC Jan 17-19 Snow/Ice/Rain Storm Obs

am19psu

looks to be mostly done in the next 2 hrs...this is actually the best case scenario for keeping our snowpack

Bigger threat to the snow cover tomorrow when it warms up into the 40's before the next episode of cold air advects in. Still shouldn't lose much as it is, but rain isn't the only snow killer. Either way we should rebound (a bit at least) from any loss of snow with the late week storm.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bigger threat to the snow cover tomorrow when it warms up into the 40's before the next episode of cold air advects in. Still shouldn't lose much as it is, but rain isn't the only snow killer. Either way we should rebound (a bit at least) from any loss of snow with the late week storm.

True-but given how everything's ended up colder this winter, I wonder if we dont end up in the upper 30's instead...

Up to 31 in Lyndhurst with light ZR continuing. Just from eyeballing it, I'd say we received about 1.5" of snow and sleet, and 0.25" of freezing rain.

What an insane temperature difference across NJ as of 8am, with Sussex, NJ at 19 degrees, and Wildwood at 55 degrees!!

I'm now up to about 41.5" of snow for the season.

It looks like we finally hit the freezing point, going outside in the driveway I noticed some dripping off of a fence and little pools on the driveway forming.

I'm also about a mile away from the sound, It looks like areas maybe as close as the parkway may not get above freezing at all.

bdr which is on the beach is 29, when the rain falls a bit harder it cant freeze instantly, some drops are going to happen lol, you are solidly below freezing in westport :thumbsup:

bdr which is on the beach is 29, when the rain falls a bit harder it cant freeze instantly, some drops are going to happen lol, you are solidly below freezing in westport :thumbsup:

I guess you maybe right... its hard to tell with these marginal temps.

I'm very close to the 32 on this Wunderground map, so thats were I was basing the obs on.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=40.76953506&lon=-73.64997864&zoom=10

What an insane temperature difference across NJ as of 8am, with Sussex, NJ at 19 degrees, and Wildwood at 55 degrees!!

A nice gradient map depicts this, a spread of over thirty five degrees between northern and southern NJ. And also note the impressive spread of temps across the Delaware Bay where it remains in the 30's.

post-705-0-66978300-1295361688.jpg

The 57 in Cape May is pretty obviously incorrect with Wildwood reporting only 47.

A nice gradient map depicts this, a spread of over thirty five degrees between northern and southern NJ. And also note the impressive spread of temps across the Delaware Bay where it remains in the 30's.

The 57 in Cape May is pretty obviously incorrect with Wildwood reporting only 47.

KWWD, the airport in Wildwood is the observing location. THe latest ob from 9:55 has them at 60F!!! I don't know about the accuracy, but it is from a designated NWS observing site. I don't know how erroneous it is, but given the surrounding temps, and waters which probably aren't nearly that warm, it may be another airport observing issue. I may take this over to the other regional thread (since this thread is primarily for NYC's/Upton's district) and have it investigated by the posters there.

post-705-0-05869400-1295363342.jpg

Classic Hudson Valley drainage event. Heavy glaze (0.25?) up in uptown manhattan with icing continuing and primarily light NE/NNE flow, but a stiff E wind here at the battery, barely any glaze, and plain rain. The difference between the start and finish of my subway ride this AM was astonishing.

I don't think the QPF was overdone. at least .5" has fallen across the area and rain still falling so .6-8" is likely to be the final tally

We'd all be crying bust if this were to be all snow-models horribly over-done on QPF unless something back builds in or develops. I'll take it though here, keep my snowpack intact and with another inch and then a coating of ice...

Archived